England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Kenny over TAA is just laughable. I wouldn't be starting Worrall either.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Kenny is better defensively, it will be not that easy match.

4. scout94

scout94 New Member

England
    Oct 8, 2017
    Solanke 1-0

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The right side of our defence is struggling with the ball and it's entirely self inflicted. With the seniors and U21's if I were to pick out a player or two who I feel is lucky to even be in the squad they end up in the starting team because they merely offer some type of solidity.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Thought that was a reasonable half in an away game, but we do lack the control in midfield that Onomah might have given us. Cook, Tomori, Solanke all doing well. Gray looks a little below his usual high level to me, but at least he's getting involved.

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Fair half that.

Ukraine have looked most dangerous down our left channel and getting most joy.

We do need to step it up.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not been able to see all the game but everytime I get in and have a look, always seems like Ukraine is the team attacking and look better. We can't get a hold of the ball from what I've seen, Maybe it's just the bits I've seen and that's not a reflection on the game.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We started nicely. We were pinging it around with Dowell linking the midfield and forwards.

But as the first half grew on it was definitely Ukraine with the upper hand.

That should seal it though ! Good work by Gray.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Man. I actually feel sorry for the Ukraine defender.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm really not sure Onomah has proven that he can control a game from central midfield or calms things down and plays constant easy passes. It's what was missing at the WC and during this qualification it's all been a bit passive and open through the middle.

Tuanzebe is a class act though. Just a no brainer that he'll end up at an elite level. Such a smooth athlete.

The 2nd half was rough for us. Individually and when we're in 1v1 situations, we're so much better than the sides we've played, but we just struggle a bit as a collective. Our qualifications are usually the opposite and we end up with too many predictable and one dimensional players.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  12. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Onomah probably is our best bet at this moment though.

But that is why I mentioned Joe Williams of Everton. With such a strong contingent of Everton players already he could fit into the group quickly. Barnsley tend to try play decent stuff too.

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's not so much "easy passes" as intelligent positioning out of possession, which some of the others don't do as well, Cook included. Can't say I was overly impressed with Maitland-Niles today - I prefer him out wide.

Agreed about Tuanzebe. Obviously good in defence, but I wouldn't mind seeing him start at the base of midfield in a 4-3-3 some time. Especially if Loftus-Cheek ends up staying with the seniors.

14. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Cook has always struck me as more of an '8' - Likes to make little runs with the ball and little give and goes. Not really disciplined enough or skillful or powerful (got to have at least 1 of 2) to create space for a pass from a standing start from deep.

ChristianSur repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm trying to think of an England youth team that has looked competent as a unit under Boothroyd? It's always at least a bit messy unless we are playing a team that is truly limited. I know we have had issues with pull outs and promotions to the seniors but as far as I'm concerned he's still picking the wrong options from the squad available.

We are in a strong position in the group now but I have zero confidence in Boothroyd getting the squad into a position to truly play well as a collective when it matters.

ChristianSur repped this.
  16. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    i dont agree. kenny is a really good right back, whos been playing every week now for everton. taa is in and out of the liverpool side. both are good young players.

hussar repped this.
  17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I wonder if Cook and Onomah might fit better in a 3-4-3. I like them as a pairing but neither is a pure defensive midfielder. It seems to fit the rest of our personnel too, especially now that the under-21 midfielders are split fairly evenly between this squad and the seniors: some good attacking full-backs, five or six good centre-backs who are mostly good on the ball, attacking players who all like to come inside... Obviously it would make the transition to the seniors smoother too, assuming that that's Southgate's preferred formation.

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    depends what your definition of controlling a game is but Onomah has great ability to keep the ball under pressure which is one of the things you need to control the midfield. We wouldn't have won the world cup without him, can't do it on his own tho.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. and Jenks repped this.
  20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We only have one competitive U21 game left this season. Whereas the U19's have the elites and hopefully a finals. Not sure why it's even in Boothroyd's thoughts. If they sit down as a group and consider it there is surely only one decision they can logically make.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It may be that they're hoping he'll be a senior by 2020 and asking themselves whether they'll be able to take him to five tournaments in four years. If not, then there's a choice to be made between next summer's under-19 Euros or the under-21 Euros in 2019.

The only other logical reason that I can think of is that there's a bit of an excess of talent in those positions at under-19 level, and they may be considering how to spread it around and get the best talents more pitch-time. But that would be predicated on someone like Foden getting ahead of the under-21 wingers, and if Patrick Roberts isn't even making the squad then that seems a stretch.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    #8322 JRSG, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Would be a short sighted decision. He should be with the U19s. No reason to clog up the U21s when there's plenty of players with shorter eligibility windows who would be better off for the experience. There's every chance he'll put himself into the conversation in 18/19 anyway. Would probably rather see him at the U20 WC to be honest. Similarly with Sancho.

If they're really bothered about burnout for Foden, then just give him the first 6 months of 2018 off England duty. We know it's inevitable that once he gets in the U21s, he'll be there to stay. It's the same with premature promotions to the Seniors, there's no fluidity.

These elite talents will rely less on their development in these next few stages anyway and their club level will be where the real strides are taken. It's a handful of Roberts, Palmer, Brown, Dowell, Gray, DCL, Maddison, Ojo and the other 96-98s who are more desperate for the Euros in '19.

No matter how many senior caps they all have by then, Foden + Sancho should be with the U21s at the Euros in 2021 anyway. Hopefully this summer will finally have convinced the FA about the importance of keeping strong teams together to get that winning experience. Way too many players have just completely missed that stage to sit on the bench for the seniors in random friendlies + qualifiers.

Winks, Barkley, Rashford, Loftus-Cheek (as a starter), Alli, Chamberlain, Sterling, Shaw have never played in an U21 Euros or likely will never and it's a massive shame.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #8323 W.A.S.P., Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    I'm worried for Roberts.

Ever since I saw Foden play against Romania in the U17 qualifyers last year I thought that he could overtake Roberts because Foden would have quite a lot of momentum if he and England kept progressing. I mean they play almost the same game and unless Foden plays as a CAM then Roberts can still get in as a RW. Hopefully Roberts can regain his form and can be considered for a call up.

I think Foden doesn't need to be fast-tracked to the U21's because we got a lot of great potential talent in his position with Dowell, Ojo, and Roberts. The U19's for him is good enough.

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Loftus-Cheek has in 2015. Winks was going to play, but had that injury not far from the tournament starting. Rashford could still play in the competition, but I highly doubt it after he gets selected for the World Cup (if fit). I think Sterling was going to play in the 2013 finals, but pulled out due to an injury, same with Shaw. Barkley, Chamberlain, and Dele were simply at the senior level and maybe felt like they were above the U21s or just the team needed them for qualifyers.

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see Foden as a winger at all.