England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    That's fine for you to think that. I'm not sure it even counters or opposes anything i've said to be quite honest.

ChristianSur repped this.
  2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The lack of end product against Latvia was of concern the other night. Just not enough meaningful strikes on goal. The early Gray goal was top notch of course, which eased any sense of frustration one would have felt if it were nil nil for any length of time. But the second two goals, while a comfort, were keeper errors more than anything - giving a misleading impression.

The crossing, as often the case, was poor. With most balls put in too close to the keeper. I'm surprised coaches let this continue. Not enough balls are pulled back into spacious areas. It's as if the keepers act like a magnet.

Martin Keown seemed obsessed with the players being hurriedly moved up to the full team (or seniors as I call them) even though the qualifying tournament has only just started. He raved about Solanke's "beautiful technique - just too much weight in the pass - with the outside of the right foot. It sprung off his foot". Surely if he'd used the instep of his left foot he would have had more chance to control the weight of the pass (as well as the accuracy)?

Still he's the expert.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Roberts is starting for Celtic on BT Sports in 10 mins, if anyone wants to dig up a stream. Tomori only on the bench for Hull v Derby.

4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
  5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    David Brooks had a man of the match display against Sheffield Wednesday in the Steel City derby. Good to see a young number 10 thriving in the Championship.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Don't think he's available for our U21's now is he as he's played for Wales U21's in Euro qualifying. Is it a case now that he has to use the one time switch to play for us again then he's tied to us right?

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I completely missed this.. why did he play for both Wales and England in the same summer?!

8. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Toulon not a UEFA associated, so he could play for Wales. He can represent England u21s for the next tournament in which would tie him down to England.

9. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The next tournament cycle will be '98s downwards and he's a '97 so he's gone unless he waits the long wait for a senior England call up.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Squad announced at 1pm

11. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    hussar repped this.
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Goalkeepers

Angus Gunn (Norwich City, loan from Manchester City), Dean Henderson (Shrewsbury Town, loan from Manchester United), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)

Defenders
    Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Joseph Gomez (Liverpool), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Fikayo Tomori (Hull City, loan from Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Joseph Worrall (Nottingham Forest)

Midfielders
    Lewis Cook (AFC Bournemouth), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Nottingham Forest, loan from Everton), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace, loan from Chelsea), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Josh Onomah (Aston Villa, loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Harry Winks (Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards

Tammy Abraham (Swansea City, loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Sheyi Ojo (Fulham, loan from Liverpool), Dominic Solanke (Liverpool)

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I hope Boothroyd hasn't developed a personal grudge with Roberts.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Why isn't Patrick Roberts being picked?

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    No senior call-up for Loftus-Cheek, Davies, or Abraham then.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can't wait to see the midfield selections for the seniors in 40 mins time :ninja:

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Don't know what is going on with Roberts as even though he's playing in Scotland he's still one of our best & most creative players. Maybe the FA are punishing him after the U20 World Cup snub? Let's just hope he hasn't got any Welsh blood anywhere in his body!

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Henderson, Dier, Livermore, and...? Chalobah and Drinkwater are injured. Ox has only started once this month, on the wing. Delph is filling in at left-back. Wilshere's on the bench. So's Ward-Prowse.

Andrew Surman, Jack Cork, Mark flipping Noble - your time is now.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Patrick John Joseph Roberts, a Celtic fan born to Liverpudlians. I don't think it's the Welsh that we have to look out for there...

(in all seriousness, I think it's more likely that he's blotted his copybook by turning down international tournaments two years running)

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Which would be a joke of a reason + an ugly look for the FA.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't know. I'd like to think that they wouldn't exclude him for a whole two-year cycle, but at the same time I can understand that Boothroyd would want to plan for the eventuality that Roberts makes himself unavailable yet again in 2019. Perhaps, at least to begin with, he just wants to focus on other options that he can rely on.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    But the U21 tournament wouldn't clash with a senior league season? He's had a perfectly valid reason to not go to tournaments both times.

It's kinda dumb to punish an underage player because he's already playing Senior football. We always say how much we want them to be playing more football, so we can't have it both ways.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Boothroyd is like Southgate: nothing is more important than loyalty. He picked basically the same squad last time, you can bet this will be his standard squad, and that's it. Regardless of the form of Roberts, Bowen or everyone else.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    No, but we've seen players pulled out of tournaments by their clubs because they'd had a busy season, or the next season was going to start early (CL qualifiers etc.), or just because they wanted to be involved in pre-season. Nobody knows where Roberts will be in 2019 but any of those could apply. And we obviously aren't privy to the conversations that have taken place between the FA's people and Roberts/his people, but it's perfectly possible that the FA ended up with the reasonable impression that he wasn't all that arsed about missing the tournaments.

Equally, it's possible that they want to reward the likes of Ojo and Lookman for their contributions in the summer, rather than discarding them the moment Roberts is available. Equally, they might be being childish about being "rejected", but that's far from the only possibility.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'm actually more surprised by this omission. He couldn't have done a whole lot more to earn a chance.