England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Guardian and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    he has played quite a lot. Will finish the season with 30+ starts and an additional 20+ substitute appearance. I still think it'd be nice if he went though.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Me too, but we've seen Harry Kane play sub-par in international tournaments the past two years, but the thing I like about Rashford is that he always makes life difficult for the defenses.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah rashford is a good prospect and always runs the channels and puts cbs under pressure

Lets not forget how simple international football is compared to Kane at Tottenham with an actual world class coach and players around him

International coaches get very little time with their players

5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Alfie Mawson did some heroic defending and a MoM display against Everton. He should start along Holding if both will be fit in June.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe Jordan Pickford is quite possibly the best all-around U21 keeper in Europe. He has the full package of reflexes and distribution. He'll definitely go to a bigger club next season, probably Everton because Koeman favors keepers of his style.

Distribution

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    863798927518294018 is not a valid tweet id

ChristianSur, Jenks, W.A.S.P. and 2 others repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I know it's a token gesture in a dead rubber but Chalobah starts for Chelsea tonight. Not sure if RLC is on the bench or just completely left out of the Squad.

ChristianSur repped this.
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Injured apparently, but he might be available for the Sunderland match.

10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    RLC still has to escape from Chelsea, he won't get a sniff next season either.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    So does Chalobah really. I hate to say it but he just isn't good enough to play for Chelsea, and if he hangs around the fringes for much longer then it's practically a guarantee that he never will be. He'll be 23 later this year and he just needs to be a regular starter for someone now, at whatever level he can realistically manage.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If fit, Cheek will get his chance to shine (and show what he is made of - or not) at the finals in June. It's an opportunity he must take.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Agree, he can't have another season like this if he has any aspirations to fulfill his potential. His next move needs to be the right one where he's going to get plenty of game time at a good level.

The Guardian repped this.
  14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If he hits the heights in the finals he'll need to check out the Chelsea manager's plans for him. If he doesn't, he'll have to be on his bike for sure.

15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's a shame because I think Conte genuinely does like them both. But he seemed to acknowledge in his press conference last night that RLC hasn't played enough this year. Was just a terrible season to not have European Football. A Europa League season adding an extra 15 games to juggle would've been perfect (although probably not for their title aspirations)

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Bournemouth are reportedly looking to permanently sign Kasey Palmer in the summer.
    (Daily Mail)

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/loftus-cheek-keen-on-loan-move-jgh8xgssv

Also to follow the Casey Palmer links it's no surprise to see RLC apparently wanting a loan move away next season. Unfortunately I don't have the subscription to view the whole article so if anyone can access it, it would be appreciated.

I must have read a dozen times how Chelsea, City & Utd are all going on 200mil spending sprees this Summer and for any players in the Youth set up must be thinking what's the point, especially the older lads who have aspirations to play for the first team.

hussar repped this.
  18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ruben's been after a loan for about two years now but Chelsea have continually rebuffed him.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Here's the full text:

"Ruben Loftus-Cheek will demand a loan move away from Chelsea after growing disillusioned with the limited opportunities he has been given by Antonio Conte this season.

"Unusually for a Chelsea youngster, the England Under-21 midfielder has never been on loan but believes that a temporary move away from Stamford Bridge would be the best thing for his development as there is little chance of him becoming a regular member of Conte’s squad next season.

"Loftus-Cheek has long been viewed as the club’s best chance of producing a home-grown player for their first XI since John Terry’s emergence almost 20 years ago, as was shown by their decision to give him a five-year contract worth £50,000 a week last season.

"However, his progress has stalled during their title-winning campaign. The 21-year-old was given his debut by José Mourinho in a Champions League group-stage match against Sporting Lisbon at Stamford Bridge in December 2014, but has made just six Premier League appearances this season, all of them as a substitute.

"Chelsea rejected approaches from Watford, Swansea City and Middlesbrough to take Loftus-Cheek on loan in January but the club are likely to make a number of first-team players available for loan this summer, including Kurt Zouma, the defender.

"Rafael Benítez, the Newcastle United manager, is closing in on his first signing for their return to the Premier League after agreeing a fee with Chelsea for the winger Christian Atsu. The clubs are thought to have reached agreement on a deal that would cost Newcastle about £6 million for the 25-year-old Ghana midfielder after they took up an option to make his loan move permanent."

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Germany's published their squad for the Euros. Just posting it here because they're probably one of the favourites so they're a benchmark of sorts for ours.

Anyone know when ours is due to be named?

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    "England Under-21 [regular] Dominic Iorfa [is] also involved in the training camp."

No idea why we keep calling this kid up. He isn't very good and his Nigerian international dad has said that he plans to play for Nigeria as a senior anyway.

I mean, if Nigeria want to take anyone... any chance they could hurry this one along?

23. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    That reads like his dad putting words into his mouth, and we know what the Nigerian media are like at the best of times. Iorfa spoke very positively about Southgate getting made boss of the senior team, he said it was good for his prospects of getting a senior call up in future. He also didn't attend that Nigeria training camp that Akpom and Aina went to and he must have been invited.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't rate Iorfa, but there's no harm in calling him up, especially to a training camp. Who is he keeping out of the squad?

Although I guess now you mention him, it would've been good to get Aina involved to show him he's in our plans.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It just comes across as a bizarre thing to say by his Dad, he's happy his son gets called up to the U21's but he's definitely going to play for Nigeria? I mean does he not know how that comes across and also not doing his son any favours with in the whole England set up just incase it's not true and if the FA are aware of this surely they have questioned the player about it especially given Southgate only wants 100% commitment from players.