England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Memories like goldfish. I'm still haunted by past tournaments and the complete pointlessness of them all but Brooking and Bernstein keep thinking we are right on track and just need a few lucky breaks :)

fernb8 repped this.
  2. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I really don't want Pearce to sign another contract. I'm not sure I can take another campaign with him and his antics. I wanted him gone by the time the 93' generation started breaking in squad...

3. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8419696/

I can't believe Brooking said he doesn't know if Pearce needs more club experience for the senior job :confused:

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Brooking thinks any Prem team (let alone a competently run one) is going to appoint Pearce as manager, he is delusional. City fans hated him, even when they were sh!t.

fernb8 repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Managers like Redknapp and Adkins are losing jobs because Chairmen want coaches with what they deem more in-depth qualities. Then we have Pearce in this role for six years gathering experience for his chance at what? It's beyond words!

Platt had this role for three years and was never given a manager's job after and the game has advanced alot since then. It's not a role that helps you get a managers job in the club game because it's a part time role. It's not day to day coaching.

Pearce's club ambitions are most likely going to be taking over a struggling L1 or L2 club. That's the only way I can see him getting a role and even then he'll have to take a big pay cut.

6. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I remember when Capello was in charge and Pearce had senior team duties that sometimes conflicted with the u21s. Pearce was a token English coach but Brooking wanted him to learn from Capello, it doesn't look like that has happened. Pearce wasn't even doing the U21 job properly because Baldini had to tell him to select Mark Davies for the U21s as Pearce didn't notice him.

Now Hodgson arrives and doesn't want him on the coaching staff. I can't remember where but Hodgson alluded to not wanting 'yes men', which is how Pearce was acting as under Capello.
    If it wasn't for Mancini he would still be out of a coaching job I bet. Also if Mancini gets sacked for one reason or another, you can count on him following him out the door and I doubt we will see Platt as a coach for a while.
    I agree, one of those type of clubs would be suitible for him. Pearce has shown that he gone as far as he can with the U21s. He should try and test himeslf as a club manager in the lower divisions, bigger names than Pearce have done / are doing it.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    wondering how Zaha's move to Utd will work out for him in regards to respective England squads

8. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully, he will make his way onto the squad through merit, and not because of which club he plays for.

9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    hope so as well

Butland being linked with Chelsea- suprising move for me

10. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I stand by my initial thougts on Butland after the 20's tourney. I think he is the 2nd best keeper we have, behind Hart, and not that far behind him tbh..

11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad that he decided to stay at Birmingham, he won't get game time unless he moves to a lower premier league club

12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    being selfish- I would have loved to see him end up at Chelsea

being honest- much better for him to end up elsewhere for his career

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Better for Butland to stay at Brum for now. He is settled and happy and getting playing time. If he continues to develop he will get a chance to sign for a big club later on. English quality keepers are in short supply, so he will be in demand.

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Never mind, he has gone to Stoke! Does this mean Begovic is off somewhere?

15. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Squad for Sweden:

GoalkeepersBen Amos (Manchester United), Declan Rudd (Norwich City), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

DefendersRyan Bennett (Norwich City), Nathaniel Clyne (Southampton), Craig Dawson (Bolton Wanderers - loan from West Brom), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Tom Lees (Leeds United), Jack Robinson (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Southampton), Adam Smith (Millwall - loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Andre Wisdom (Liverpool)

MidfieldersNat Chalobah (Watford - loan from Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Will Hughes (Derby County), Henri Lansbury (Nottingham Forest), Jason Lowe (Blackburn Rovers), Josh McEachran (Middlesbrough - loan from Chelsea), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool)

ForwardsBenik Afobe (Bolton Wanderers - loan from Arsenal), Tom Ince (Blackpool), Connor Wickham (Sunderland), Wilfred Zaha (Crystal Palace - loan from Manchester United)

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is pretty much the core of players that Pearce will go with then I assume.

Why is Caulker not in either squad?

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Also can't understand why another forward hasn't been picked. Waghorn, Ameobi, Sordell?
    4 rights back in a squad too. 5 if you count Lowe.

18. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Caulker's omission might have something to do with him getting the biggest ban from the Serbia game, a 2 game ban. Ince only got banned for 1 game and so did Rose.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ah, that's right. Forgot that.

20. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No Michael Keane ?

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Could have given him a chance. Probably needed an earlier loan to break into the squad though. I would have called him up.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Phil Jones, Raheem Sterling, Nathaniel Clyne and Ryan Bennett are also missing from the Under-21 group to face Sweden at Walsall through a mixture of injury and illness.

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any backups ?

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England Men's Youth Player of the Year award for Nate Chalobah. Deserved imo.