England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    RLC off injured just before halftime. He looked physically distraught tbh, hopefully nothing to serious.

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I won't be at all surprised if the trio of Foden, Hudson-Odoi, and Sancho make the Euro 2020 squad. That is if Foden and CHO get proper game time. I'm confident Foden will soon make his way into the City starting 11, but if CHO can get that move to Bayern then I'm sure they'll use him well.

The Potter repped this.
  3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Are you? Even if he gets ahead of their current players, they're not about to stop splashing £50m+ on other teams' star midfielders every summer. I think he could be a rotation player for a while yet.

4. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He needs a loan but Guardiola doesn't want it. He's obviously super gifted on the ball but he's still a bit shy when he gets a rare opportunity and I can't blame him.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    A solid year at Girona wouldn't do him any harm. I don't see how these sporadic appearances are going to allow him to develop at City.

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We might have our own definitions of soon. I'm thinking by next season he'll have a good chance if he can stay consistent.

7. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    David Silva isn't getting any younger, but De Bruyne and Bernardo Silva have long careers still ahead of them (and there's still Gundogan).

Foden doesn't have to be "First XI" in the next 12 months though. At the moment he's 5th in line for the 2 AM spots at City - next season he needs to make himself 4th. That will be enough to get an increase in time on the pitch, to let him develop more understanding of the game at that level, and to make a case for City to keep the wallet in the pocket next time they start making eyes at a centre midfielder.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's no reason England shouldn't be producing players like that. Even if that trio make it the England squad doesnt match up to France's, they have one of the most talented groups I have ever seen, much more talented than even their 2000 team potentially imo. They have to be heavy favourites for the Euro's. The Euro's can be hit and miss, I didnt really like the last one and not just because that was the worst England team I'd ever seen that a major tournie. This is how little I know about football, I thought Roy was doing a good job, I really did think we had terrible players, or at least too inexperienced and both statements were probably true. But that team in '16 was truly awful, I know Iceland sort of proved themselves, beating Croatia twice and drawing Argentina, but every match we were awful. But yeah Reiss Nelson too and a few others, we may have an Argie type of problem if Pickfords form doesn't improve, he's undroppable, Joe Hart may currently be the best English goalkeeper, how depressing is that......jeeez

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden is in a good spot, I honestly dont see what the issue people have is. He plays, Hudson basically didnt get a look in, I really think Chelsea would be wary of playing an 18 yo C.Ronaldo. They are that sort of club and that's their prerogative but why have such a great academy and a bazillion loans? Is it just a money making thing for them? Apart from Oscar I cant think of another young player they gave a real chance to and even he was a big flashy signing, I'm not counting Hazard, he was already a star.

hussar repped this.
  10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    That's not true, the first match against Russia England played the best football since years, just didn't take their chances and were punished at the end. After that the decline came.
    And no, Hart is not the best English goalkeeper, he is just a sub at Burnley.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hudson odoi is my pick for a world class potential

There have been very few English players in history that I have seen who have his dribbling ability and speed

I really hope saari either plays him or he goes as his development is paramount

roverman repped this.
  12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Meanwhile, Lewis Baker was recalled from his loan at Leeds. It looks like he will not make it, because all of his English loans ended badly. It's a pity because 2 or 3 years ago he was someone touted as a future senior international.

13. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Gazza is probably the last one.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sterling I guess is similar

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sterling is an oddity in that he's such an amazing dribbler and so fast yet in all my years I've never seen a player who scuffs the ball as often as he does . He scuffs/ pulls many of his shots but unusually he even scuffs / mis kicks some passes !!!

thebigman repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Not bad for someone that scuffs the ball, pulls many of his shots, mis kicks the ball and before you say it, no you couldn’t do just as well in that City side. ;)

thebigman repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Sterling is a top level player. Amazes me how people can’t see that.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah he’s amazing especially on the right

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    With Sterling and Hudson Odoi, I genuinely don’t know which side they favour. Rashford is clearly better on the left side and Sancho seems to favour that side too.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

He scuffs the ball more often than anyone else I've ever seen - I'd ky point .
    I said he's a brilliant player ... what's your point ?

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rash Ford is going to be best as a striker imo

TitoTata repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    This is potentially the best England squad we have had since 06. The young talent coming through is immense. My only concern is Ghana sniffing round odoi. Hopefully he realises that playing for England is for more productive than some tinpot African nation.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Would be very surprised and I mean very surprised if CHO ended up deflecting to Ghana anytime soon. He, along with Sterling, Sancho and probably Rashford will have those wide positions sewn up for many years to come.

24. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    If I remember correctly there was someone here a few weeks ago who said Arnautovic is as good as Kane. I think the fact Arnautovic now wants to go to China says everything about him.

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It was possibly me ...

Arnautovic has been offered a kings randsom to go to China at 30 ( I think ) ... it's gonna be his last big contract so I don't really blame him tbh

That said it could be a smokescreen to encourage ManU or Spurs or Real Madrid or whoever to come in for him