England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s most certainly a possibility

Hasn’t he had the worst kind of hamstring injury plus sowing the tendon back in place has to be a concern when he’s in recovery

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Hasn’t Kane tried coming back from
    injury too soon a couple of times ?

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    If kane doesn't make it then I hope southgate opts for grealish as his replacement with rashford as main striker rather than someone like danny ings. If vardy could be persuaded to play that's a different ball game altogether

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    4-5 games is more than 2-3 weeks.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The sun is reporting spurs still expect kane to be available by mid april

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Not always, sometimes backlogged pl fixtures are played right at the end of the season midweek if a team has been involved in the FA cup till late. Also there is potential CL semi finals.

7. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Sad to see Danny Rose not even making the bench today. More than one story has been told of Rose's commitment to England.

8. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Alli taken off for Spurs. Sadly that purple patch at the start of Mourinho's reign is beginning to look like a false dawn, Grealish and Maddison are cementing their case week by week.

roverman repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ali is not good enough

I don’t want him in the squad

10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Another amazing Grealish goal!

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm sure he will be southgate's next squad

12. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I am sick and tired of people rating Stones and making excuses for him. He is weak, unreliable and error prone. People will say that City's system leaves him exposed but the likes of Van Dijk, Ramos, Pique, Boateng etc have all played in high lines and been dependable. Ultimately he is an extremely flawed defender who is nowhere near the level we need to win an international tournament. The partnership in the summer should be Gomez and Maguire.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Sancho with a goal and an assist. Brilliant touch from him then goes round the keeper

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I agree to be honest and I’ve been a big supporter of Stones over the years thinking he will get better and better but he’s just regressing imo and nowhere near aggressive enough and his decision making when defending just isn’t up to scratch. I think he will get moved on sooner or later and I’m sad saying it because I really wanted it to work but I honestly just don’t think he’s good enough as a defender.

roverman repped this.
  15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’m shocked that he’s still making the same stupid mistakes he made as a kid and I thought he was going to be legendary

16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It’s a shame about James’s injury because I thought he was brilliant today. If Trippier were to pick up an injury then I’d be tempted to call him up.

roverman repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    With Rose drifting out of the picture and Southgate having legitimate concerns regarding Shaw's attitude and fitness, it looks like a straight shoot out between Williams, Sessegnon and Saka for a spot in the Euro squad.

18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think Williams would be an excellent backup at the euros. Hes only 19 but plays with great maturity

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    If he has a good game against Liverpool then I'd say he's in the driving seat. It's going to be an interesting battle between him, Sess and Saka though.

roverman repped this.
  20. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Who would people say are their main emerging candidates for a place in the squad from this season so far? Also factor in the strength of the existing players in the position when doing this. For example somebody like Greenwood as exciting as he is, has a lot of competition given the big four up front. I feel it's similar with somebody like Reece James, fantastic prospect but probably isn't one of the immediate emerging candidates due to our abundance of riches at RB. For me, my three would be Maddison, Grealish and Williams. All three are exciting, influential players who have impressed and strengthen us in areas we require it.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I’d just add Dean Henderson and Ings to the three you mentioned. I’d also have James ahead of Wan Bissaka but not Trippier or Walker just yet.

I still don’t feel confident choosing between Williams, Saka and Sessegnon but will do by March.

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Great to see so much competition. I remember being jealous of France when they left out so many good players before the world cup

Sam1010 and TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Anyone else feel like Mount and CHO might have been moved up to the seniors a tad early in retrospect?

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Left back is an conundrum to be honest and not sure where Southgate is going to go to go? Chillwell is nailed on for the starting role but back up players that are usually there like Rose and Shaw seem to be either injured or out of form and been overtaken. A month ago I didn’t give much of a chance for Williams making the squad but honestly not sure our options at left back are that vast. Other than Bertrand, can’t think of many other options available unless Southgate will just pick Rose regardless.

25. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    CHO definitely has been in my opinion. You can make a case that Mount has as well but whilst he's inconsistent, he has shown his quality much more frequently than someone like CHO and has also played two full seasons of senior football including in a high stakes environment like the playoff final. CHO on the other hand, has done very little in senior football to warrant what seems to be a relatively secure position in a squad with lots of quality and competition in his position. I think what worries me however is not so much the fact CHO was called up early but more the seemingly secure position he seems to be in. Southgate said in June ahead of the Nations league that he'd definitely have been in the squad had he been fit. He then echoed this faith in November saying that Grealish hadn't done enough to jump ahead of him. Whilst it's good to have faith and trust in young players, making them feel comfortable and unchallenged too soon is equally dangerous.

I think it's clear though that Southgate seems to favour and naturally like players who have performed well for the age group teams. This is why he always speaks highly of Foden, why he likes Hudson Odoi, why he had lots of faith in Lingard for longer than his club form deserved. Whereas players like Maddison who are good for their clubs but don't always have the best of CV's when it comes to this area, he tends to be less keen on.