England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Would be good if Abramovich's lack of interest at the moment lead to Barkley and Chelsea's academy boys get an opportunity. Bet they could push for Champions League place even without going crazy in the transfer market. Think it will lead to a better team moral and atmosphere there too.

hussar repped this.
  2. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    #52 David Hurford, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    This is actually quite a damning video. Apart from one run forward and pass to morata he either passes it backwards or loses possesion. I thought he played well in this game but on review he was poor against low calibre opposition. Dont know why the good fellow at cfcvideos would want to highlight this.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Really? I think I saw him lose possession a couple of times in the whole video. And sure, there are a few backwards passes early on, but lots of positive bits of play too. I'm surprised that we've taken away such different impressions of the same clip.

4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Meh, youre right. He did better in the second half and hit the post to be fair. I counted 22 backwards passes and losses of posession v 20 forward ones. I like barkley personally and always thought he did well in an england shirt.

5. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley has a lot of talent . I think career has stalled and his development has suffered playing for such an avergae side in everton . I think he is the type player who thrive around players who are on the same wave length .

I think he played under a lot of pressure when with Everton as he was seeing as their boy wonder and the one to get things going on the pitch and when it didn't happen for him the crowd got on his back and he lost confidence in himself .

6. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How high do you think Barkley's ceiling is . Can he reach the level of Pogba?.

7. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    No

The Potter repped this.
  8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    maybe, then he can target getting to Will Hughes' level.

9. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why not?. You know I think people are getting a bit carried away with Pogba's performance in the World . Yes Pogba does have a lot of talent but he hasn't all of a sudden become the complete midfield player.

Yes Pogba can beat players and play some killer passes but he will never be a midfielder who can dictate the tempo of a game on any significant level.

Mbappes pace made pogba's passing look better that it is. I am not saying Barkley can dictate and control the midfield either but I believe he can do everything Poba can do.

10. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Will Hughes has a far better football brain than Pogba. What has Poga in his career outside of two good games in the world . He hasn't delivered at club level at all . Have people all of a sudden forget about his terrible performances for Man United over the past three years. Pogba still has a lot to prove . One swallow doesn't make a summer.

11. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I thought that this might be the case, and so in theory I thought chelsea might be a growth opportunity. But he doesnt seem to have improved there either, which is a shame. I do agree he is a confidence player so hopefully he will have a better second season.

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Pogba has a lot to prove...but Will Hughes doesn't?

The Potter repped this.
  13. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #63 greengrass81, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Yes he has certainly has a lot to prove but I think he has more all round ability than Pogba. Unfortunatly a lot of his type of player in England with high technical ability isn't appreciated. If was playing in the german or spanish league he would be appreciated more.

I think Hughes is the type of player that Liverpool are crying out for . He is made for Liverpool . I can't understand why none of the big clubs in the premier league have bought him . I do wonder about the English league when you have a donkey like Henderson playing for Liverpool .

I mean Henderson is a lower premier league player at best . I don't know how he is playing week in week out for one of the best teams in the premier league.

Bare in mind I am not saying Will Hughes is a great player or will even become one , but if he moves to the right club and plays under the right manager he could become one of the great midfielders in the premier league .

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sorry, but that is an extraordinary pile of old bollocks. Pogba won four scudetti on the trot without delivering at all?

15. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barkley's biggest problem has always been his end product, because if he had Dele Ali's killer instinct in around the box then he would be one of the best out there, but he doesn't, and that is why he will never be the player we want him to be.

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sturridge continues to look alright in the preseason thus far. I think he had a decent game against Dortmund the other day with his passing and pressing. Should've had an assist as well.

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are there any good articles about what English "wonderkids" to look out for, it's been the most excited about the future of the English team since Sven took over.

18. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I would suggest this forum is one of the better data sources because a lot of these guys watch every england game at every level they can. Check out the u15 u16 u17 threads if you want to go younger. My personal favourites are
    Callum hudson odoi
    Jadon sancho
    Mason mount
    Phil foden
    Angel gomes
    Mason greenwood
    Curtis jones
    Freddie woodman
    Karamoko dembele
    Jamal musiala
    Tashan oakley-boothe
    Joel latibeaudiere
    Jay dasilva
    Ryan sessegnon
    Reiss nelson
    Eddie nketiah
    Emile smith-rowe
    Morgan gibbs-white
    Shola shoretire
    Ethan laird
    Lewis longstaff

Actually, my list could go on for a while so best to ignore my self-indulgence. Lol

The Potter and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me Oakley-Booth (Tottenham) is the most underrated of the lot. He's absolutely ke for our success in whatever age team he's picked for. Oliver Skipp is another Tottenham lad who's come on strong this summer. Both are midfielders.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. and hussar repped this.
  21. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What good is it in producing wonder-kids . If they don't get any game's with their clubs . The wonder-kid Pat Roberts who was labelled the English messi when he was player of the tournament a few years ago when England won the international youth tournament .

This same wonder kid is nearly 22 and in pre-season for his club he has barely got a game . Roberts himself says that Guardiola hasn't even spoken to him .
    Roberts has all the talent in the world but he has not been giving chance by his manager . The same will happen with the new wonder-kid at city Phil Foden who possibly England's most technically gifted since Gazza.

Actually looking at Man City's youth team most are english but none are been given a chance

Loftus Cheek is back from a successful loan out to Crystal Palace to Chelsea and he hasn't even been giving a squad number . So its clear he has no future either at his club . I think Chelsea looking at buying that Russian guy golovin on the back of a good world cup . Their aren't given Mount a chance either or several other talented English youth player's they have such as Abraham, Odbi. baker , baxter , sterling , palmer etc.

Also at man uniited . English wonder kid gomes who is 17 or 18 is clearly not in Mourinho's plans. Also considerable talents such dimitri mitchell, callum gribbin and james wilson aren't been given a chance

I would saying for the first time ever England are finally producing technically gifted players in their youth system . But what good is it if these talented kids end up not getting games at their clubs when big clubs such as Chelsea and Man City buy them up.

22. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And how many of those talented player's have been given a chance for their club. Sancho is the only one I can think of and he is playing abroad . Nelson as well has got a few games in the europa league with Arsenal but all the other names on the list haven't got a sniff of first team football with their clubs.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Have they even finalised their squad numbers? And Golovin signed for Monaco last week.

24. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Even if Loftus Cheek is the squad for Chelsea this year . It doesn't change my point . The fact is that your country is finally producing young kids with technical ability as good as any other nation .

But unfortunately none of these kids are going to be giving a chance by the premier league managers.

I can't understand why young English talents like Roberts etc don't go abroad and play in other leagues . Because he would have a much better chance of making it in a Spanish or German league where is there is much more focus on actual footballing technique rather than how many miles a player covers.

Jordon Sancho is a perfect example of young english talent who has prospered abroad. If he stayed in the english league he would probably be loaned out to some crap championship team or he would playing with the reserves for man city or whoever.

I can only guess that the reason the premier league managers don't give English players a chance because in the past young English players were over hyped

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They don't give them a chance because there's not much of an incentive to. If your job is constantly on the line and you have huge amounts of money to spend, are you going to buy a ready-made senior international from abroad or are you going to risk a kid who will make mistakes? It takes a special talent coming through or an injury pileup for most managers to choose the latter.