England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Amen to that. He's a great talent. I wasnt being facetious with my last reply. Just a bit of light hearted fun

2. :thumbsup:

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Completely disagree. There's no position in the current system that he excels in. Unless Southgate has something new up his sleeve then I see no point in bringing him back right now.

Toosaul, roverman, ht_hu96 and 1 other person repped this.
  4. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    I agree with whoever said drop Callum Wilson for the likes of a Grealish/Maddison/extra midfield option as I cant see how he is needed with Kane and Abraham there.

It seems that there is an abundance of in form English midfielders at the moment, even Jonjo Shelvey for us has been ripping it up lately and scoring goals in his last 3 games not that Southgate would ever pick him mind as he never likes Newcastle players
    (see Lascelles also). I don't think either should be picked by the way before anyone says anything but there have definitely been times where their form has merited a squad selection in the past.

Good to see Rashford in such good form as well, for me he is now a definite starter ahead of Sancho but we look stacked up front and that's even without Vardy who has been a sensation.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hold on, a couple of good games and Ali is locked in? We cannot play two cms vs good sides. He is a liability in a cm position and isn’t as creative as Graelish or maddison

he has had small patches before. His passing imo isn’t good enough

roverman repped this.
  6. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Sancho, Abraham, Vardy, Hudson Odoi, Grealish..

Wow that is some attacking line up we have to choose from

roverman repped this.
  7. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He's proven himself in a front line with Kane and a Sterling type of player. Just have to stop thinking of him as a midfielder. Been misused by England for years.

If fit he'll be in the next squad

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    When does he ever play in a front three?

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Barnes, ox, maddison

10. omaro

omaro Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Saudi Arabia

wait wait, i'm not trolling.

i mentioned the England formation/ lineup in the last world cup to show you that Southgate used this tactic 3-5-2 and succeed with it. i'm a fan of this tactic or at least to use 4-3-3 , they're more suitable for the England team since they have all the brilliant options to apply them..

of course i'm NOT asking for Tripier nor Young in the current England form since there are many better options than them, but i'm with the rest options... and adding to them players like Trent and Chilwell.. etc

ht_hu96 repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    To get the best out of Alli you need to play him in a 4-2-3-1, the same as to how we played when we lost to the Czech Republic and the same as how Mourinho is playing him currently for Spurs. You essentially have to build the team around him. We are currently playing a 4-3-3 and he doesn't fit any of the midfield roles in that system. I think he'd be an option if we wanted to play that more defensive shape with the double pivot at the base of midfield. I don't see him as a starter in the current setup.

omaro repped this.
  12. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Tbh if
    Yeah my mistake don't worry, I didn't read your post right originally.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Another friendly confirmed, England v Italy, Friday 27th March at Wembley.

omaro and TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He essentially played as a forward from the left in his best years at Spurs, together with Kane and Son. With a fluidity allowing Eriksen and him to swap positions when necessary. Dele is nothing special down in a strict midfield role, his strenghts are going forward mixing it up with the forwards with his sharp instinct and trickery. Excellent goal record at Spurs where he is allowed to run forward, poor record for England where he's tied to do a midfielders role - even often paired with Lingard who in the system at the time were doing the same role putting even more restrictions on Dele and leaving England without any passing quality.

Back to his best, 4 goals in 7 Premier League games so far.

omaro repped this.
  15. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Problem is that means leaving out one of the front 3. He may well be back to his best but he'll need to do it over a much longer period to even consider dislodging one of the front 3. Even then, I'd still much rather put square pegs in square holes and have Rashford on the left over him as he is a natural in that position and is far more explosive, dangerous, dynamic and direct than Alli. Also, I'd bank on Rashford to deliver in a big game more than I would Alli. Alli's role within our new look squad is first choice backup on the left imo.

roverman repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rashford is my lf preference

17. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I've only talked about him going to be in the squad, not saying he'll force Rashford out of the first choice line up. Might happen, but it's not what it's about at the moment, now it's about getting Dele back in the squad.

Why won't Dele perform over time? He's had two years with first injury and then a non functional team. Now he's back in form and firing with a manager that's going to build around him.
    People forget how good Dele was before his blip - despite his set back his goal and assist contribution at Spurs are still favorable compared to Rashford's at United. 199 games, 59 goals, 52 assists : 191 games, 58 goals, 30 assists.

18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    People on here were complaining but I think England have organised their 4 friendlies pretty well.

19. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I was one of them. I'm pleased we're playing Italy but I'd have still liked to have played one of the other serious contenders for the tournament in the Denmark slot to get a full gauge of what sort of shape we are in and what last minute improvements we can make.

I understand we were never going to be doing that in the June warm up games as that never happens.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Rashford plays as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, Dele Alli does not. Rashford usually produces for England, Dele Alli usually does not. And the claim that Dele Alli plays his best stuff on the left is a dubious one at best. He doesn't even play there for José.

Toosaul, roverman and Sam1010 repped this.
  21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Who though mate? Never gonna play France, Germany or Portugal in case we get them in the round of 16. We played Spain twice last year and Holland in June.

22. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He has played from the left and delivered a 22 goals season there, he doesn't now, but he doesn't have to play in same position for England and Spurs. Dele's England career have been disappointing, as I've said you won't get him performing to his top level as a box to box midfielder.

23. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    I'm not saying he won't do it over time, just that he needs to. I'm also not denying his quality or talent and fully remember how impressive he was when he was at his best. The problem as others have said though, is that he is quite an unorthodox player who is difficult to get the best out of unless the team sets up in a certain way. At Spurs, it makes sense for them to build around him as he is one of their best players and they don't have anywhere near the wealth of midfield, full back or attackig options as we do. Hence you see what he can do. The problem with England is that Sterling and Rashford's development, allied to Kane's enduring class, Sancho's emergence and the growth of midfield options in the last 2 years means it's obvious for us to build the team around a front and midfield 3. As others and I have said, Alli doesn't influence the game enough throughout 90 minutes to justify a midfield slot, whilst he is inferior to the forward options as a forward.

Also, if there's one thing our last golden generation taught us, it's that shoehorning players into systems and philosophies they don't fit into is a recipe for disaster.

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Poch played something like a 3-4-2-1 or a 4-1-4-1 in the season that Alli scored 22 goals. It's a very different role to the inside forward in a 4-3-3. I agree with Jenks that he just doesn't fit at all as an inside forward in the current England team or as an 8.