England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #6651 W.A.S.P., Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    This is why I've been crying for Winks to start for over a year. One thing Southgate knows what to do is how to take advantage of our pace against lesser sides. By starting Winks as a divot that allowed us to have more possesion because he's clinical at keeping the ball and making smart decisions by making forward passes.

We were ruthless. We are a tough out against anybody. I'm expecting another goal barrage against Kosovo.

David Hurford and sharpovic repped this.
  2. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Spectacular impact. The only fact that he can face the game and pass forward under pressure revolutionize our build up. Southgate is not always a quick learner but better late than never.

Sam1010 and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I still think Henderson can be a useful player, but when he's not playing we tend to do better. In the two games he hasn't played for England in the last two years we've beaten Spain 3-2 and now Montenegro 7-0. So...

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's hard not to get carried away because of these results, but has England ever been this consistent at destroying teams? 33 goals in qualifying has to be an England record and we still got one more game.

I've never been so optimisic about England before.

David Hurford repped this.
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    ?

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    We've certainly blitzed qualifying before only to flop at the tournament. People remarking that "this team would get punished by France" or whoever are missing the rather crucial point that this team wasn't selected against France, but nevertheless we still have to figure out what to do against strong opposition.

But sure, why not be optimistic? We're in a much better place than we were five years ago.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I hope you mean pivot? ;)

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    this is the most talented England team have had in years

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Winks is playing how we failed to play carrick and scholes all those years ago

we desperately need passing cms to break better sides press (think Holland recently)

I’m not a maguire fan myself in a two, if tomori and Gomez strike you a double act that is pace and footballing ability combined

we can play from the back and with winks and hopefully foden/grealish/Maddison etc we have capable passers for our wide talent

sharpovic and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Great! What is it with some England fans that haven’t got a brain cell between them! Unfortunately, non of the media are talking about the game but rather the booing of Gomez! Now we’re going to get another week of nonsense about Gomez and Sterling! Absolutely bloody moronic from a section of our fans and just embarrassing!

roverman, W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our attack is really special

Chilwell is turning into a quality left back and we have so many options in attack.. it’s a good time to be an England fan.

Next year will depend on how we defend.. I think Winks makes a huggggge difference to us, I really hope Southgate sees how much better we are with him and continues with him

dbs235 and roverman repped this.
  12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    This system Englands playing at the moment would have worked well with the so called golden generation.

hussar and thebigman repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Instead we shoe Horned them I to a 442

hussar, Red Bird and Gaz811 repped this.
  14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014

Now Southgate has explained we’re going 4:3:3 due to the excess in quality up front ..Kane & Sterling plus one of either Rashford - Sancho - Hudson - Ox ..

I’d play a midfield three of Winks / Grealish / Maddison .. the defence is more or less sorted .

15. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When is RLC coming back? Could be a decent option as well

David Hurford and Gaz811 repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's got more potential than Grealish.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completely different players

they would work well together imo with winks deeper

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    People will say it's only Montenegro or it's only Bulgaria, in the last game. However, even so, Winks' influence was so clear to see. A lot of people are critical of Rice' passing range, but for me, it's his inability to receive under pressure, in tight spaces or in other difficult situations such as when he has his back to his marker, that's the far bigger issue. People were critical of Mount in Prague and have been of Barkley at times, but it's very difficult playing in that advanced midfield role when you can't get the ball due to it either being lost by Rice or him panicking and offloading it 5 yards backwards or sideways. Winks though has that ability to turn and then drive forward a few yards and thus links the defence to the more creative players ahead of him.

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    My dad is in hospital . I was drunk lol

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Sure but such games accentuate our strengths without testing our weaknesses. It doesn't give a balanced view on the true quality of the team.

Don't get me wrong, I really love this England side but things will be different when you have someone like Mbappe for our defence to deal with.

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    This is an outstanding England side going forward. I still think our defence is better than some people think

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m not that optimistic to be honest, especially with the line up last night. I for one wouldn’t be confident with Stones and Maguire against any decent side, especially on current form and I think Southgate might revert to an Rice + Henderson midfield against good opponents. :ninja:

23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Apparently, the booing of Gomez was more tongue in cheek/pantomime than anything else. Still not great and hope it doesn't happen again.

Gaz811 repped this.
  24. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Oh yeah no doubt. I'm under no illusion that we don't have weaknesses and even last night, Montenegro created some openings and got into some positions that a better side would've at the least made more of, at best would've exploited it. Even so though, I still feel the midfield balance and performance last night and in Sofia was much better than the ones against Czech Republic or even Bulgaria at Wembley. Mainly because we moved the ball better and looked more fluid as a team in general. Whereas in those aforementioned games we looked one paced at times. Even in the Bulgaria game at Wembley, despite the goals, I feel the scoreline was more down to the front 3 turning it on as opposed to the midfield bossing the game and carving Bulgaria out with incisive passing and movement.

25. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    It’s probably because he plays for Liverpool l. Lots of fans have a huge dislike for them