England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More! i want More!

30+ goals in qualifying or we sack everyone

David Hurford, roverman and The Potter repped this.
  2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    The defence I’d go with is Trent-Arnold / Gomez / Stones / Chilwell

Keane is still relatively young to be fair isn’t he ?

roverman repped this.
  3. Hard to know what the first choice XI is now.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Foden hopefully sneak into the frame before the finals next summer if his starts get more frequent at the start of next season.

Pickford
    A-Arnold Gomez Stones Chilwell
    Rice Henderson Foden
    Sancho Kane Sterling

Tough call between Sancho and Rashford going forward, but I think it looks better balanced with Sancho there, especially as it frees up Sterling to play on his favoured wing.
    Rice was promising, but probably need to see more from him before inking him in.

Then you've got Rashford, Hudson-Odoi and others potentially on the bench.

Tough on Slabhead if he's relegated to the bench, but don't see how he keeps Gomez or Stones out.

roverman repped this.
  4. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Maguire isn't losing his place just like that. Gomez only has 3 months of good form & 5 years less worth of experience. Gomez is obviously going to be a much better player though. Same will probably apply with TAA & Walker.

David Hurford, TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rice reminds me of xavi and pirlo. Sits in deep and keeps the team moving with his passing. He's been a great find

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Experience of what? Gomez has loads more relevant experience than Maguire already. I think Gomez would've been first choice had he been fit off the back of the November games.

roverman and ChristianSur repped this.
  7. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Also, Rashford shouldn't see the pitch in a worthwhile game unless Kane's out or two of Raheem/CHO/Sancho are all injured.

That's one of the elephants in the room no one is seemingly willing to address. He isn't a great winger & his only strength in that role is already covered by Sterling. In terms of creativity, dribbling, intelligence, ball retention both Jadon & Callum are already well ahead.

8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Gomez is the better player but how does he have more relevant experience? Maguire has more caps and has played in a World Cup.

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    yeah, i'd take Gomez' experience playing in a top team over that all day. Maguire only made his debut in the last game of WC qualifying, so I think we'd be ignoring history to presume the team is anywhere near set for a tournament that's almost 18 months away.

10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    If we’re talking about the side for Euro 2020 then I’d also expect and hope to see Gomez starting alongside Stones.

roverman repped this.
  11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Same. I'd be very surprised if a fit Gomez missed out on a starting spot. He has the talent to surpass all of our other centre-backs, and arguably he already has.

12. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t think his name should be mentioned in the same breath as two of the best midfielders of the past two decades.. let’s not overhype Rice over two games against pretty subpar opposition!

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not really. Rashford has bags of .Skill and is scoring goals. He's 21. He's an outstanding talent

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He's easily as good as the overhyped de ligt

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I said reminds me. I never said he was the next pirlo or xavi

16. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He's much better playing centrally though. He's certainly not better playing wide than Sterling. The question will be is he better than Sancho.

17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #2917 TopBanana10, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    I think Sancho is better out wide and overall, but Rashford is still our second best main striker.

Our forward options are going to be super competitive soon. Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Hudson Odoi and Greenwood.

roverman repped this.
  18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry didn’t mean to say it like that I just misunderstood

But I think the media and some on here are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.. this happened in 2010 when we went unbeaten in qualifying even though we didn’t have a great team and were playing an unbalanced 4-4-2 with Gerrard on the left, Barry, Heskey etc..

Granted this team has a lot of potential and we’re doing well now but we still haven’t won anything and until we start beating top teams in tournaments I won’t take all of the hype

roverman repped this.
  19. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You do realise he is probably England's most prolific midfielder in the last 20 years playing against teams that primarily sit back against him? He hasn't replicated his form for England but that is a stupid thing to say.

Rose has been rotating with Davies, and I feel has been close to his best this year. We have good LB options in him, Chilwell and Shaw which is great.

I think Rice played decently last night, and I know it was a one-off game but I'm not getting the hype. To me it strikes me as young players plays in Premier League, everyone is shocked that academy players are good enough so hail anyone that comes through as special, see Newcastle fans and Longstaff. I will caveat it with I haven't seen a load of Rice. He broke up play well, but I'd still rather Winks as a holder to pick the ball up off the CBs and get it forward, and have Alli and Barkley playing ahead.

BUT it's great we have so many options and Ali should feel the pressure in his position and needs to start playing for England how he does for Spurs otherwise, Lingard, RLC, Maddison could come in and deservedly take his spot. Really like what Barkley has been doing and hope he continues that form for Chelsea to an extent.

Personally, in the CM/DM role I think Winks should be the only guarantee. Then depending on how many you want to take to the Euros it's one of Henderson/Dier/Rice. Rice could end up playing the most out of them and may have the greatest potential but they may want more experience.

Between Dier and Henderson, I think you're splitting hairs. Henderson as a holder is probably a more progressive passer, barely, whereas Dier is probably better at breaking up play. Dier and Rice also have the advantage of filling in at CB if needs be too. Not that I think he should go to the Euros, but I really hope Spurs give Skipp more game time, as I think he will be a real quality CM in the future. Better than Winks and Rice.

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah plus the
    Rashford has the potential to be a terrific player but I agree the other more natural options on the wing are superior. He's a striker so that leaves him as competition and/or cover to the undropable Kane. Seeing Kane drop deep and him clearly impress with his range of passing leads me to think that maybe a partnership with Rashford playing off the last man could be a useful old fashioned tandem.

TopBanana10, TotaalVoetbal and roverman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    What Kiñd of player is skipp?

22. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He is technically proficient, I think he can turn himself out of pressure and into space very well. Has great awareness, energy, determination, and a good amount of aggression to put his foot in. Also, seems to have a good sense of positioning.

The underrated parts of his game is his attacking insincts. He's a very powerful runner and ball carrier, has a good amount of vision, and he can be creative with his passing, he will look for the forward option more than most. When he is allowed to he can be very cavalier and swashbuckling. Reminds me of Gerrard, Kante, or Parker in his final season at West Ham, stylistically, when he is allowed to get going, but I'm not convinced of his instincts in and around the box. He's not much of a goal scorer. I think he could be a great box to box but if not at the very least a good holding midfielder. I think he is better all round player than Winks or will be. Not to say that I don't think Winks is good, but I think Skipp has a lot potential. I think he is braver, and riskier in his passing than Winks, and ultimately better defensively. But the risky passing will work against him, as he will as a result misplace more, but like most he can do the side to side stuff too, which he understandably has done more of in his limited appearances for the first team.

TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    ChristianSur, W.A.S.P., IGSpur and 3 others repped this.
  24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It's a shame Luke Shaw has missed the last few international fixtures as he's been in great from. Really curious to see how he compares with Chilwell in this England team.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Never really rated Shaw...he's still better than Robertson