England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It's not even close, in fact it's a non contest.

thebigman repped this.
  2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

England aren't very good on paper. The front two are excellent but I do wonder how many of that team would get in the Belgian team.

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Kane + a fullback or two (just looking at the starting line-up, not squaddies). Meunier is one of our best performers so we'd like to start him though.

Just win the first two games. It's a big bonus if you're able to conserve energy ahead of the KO phase.

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Owen Hargreaves stated on BT Sport that he would start Alexander-Arnold in the World Cup squad if Kyle Walker plays at LCB.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would really like for him to be picked actually because of his creativety and calmness on the ball. You can see why he was highly rated for a long time.

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably could do with Rose or Bertrand at left back. Despite our lack of midfielders we have plenty of fullbacks that many top countries would love to have.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So basically every other team wouldn't be very good on paper.

Most countries in general don't have players that would get in the Belgian starting lineup. I think most people would agree that Kane and some full backs would get into their lineup and that's is a decent shout.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, Wales probably only had one player in their team that would probably make the Belgium team and yet they beat them in the Euro's so I guess there is hope for us yet.

9. Maybe looking at something like this at the moment?

Pickford Butland Hart
    Stones Maguire Jones Gomez
    Walker Trippier Bertrand Young
    Dier Henderson Wilshere Delph
    Ox RLC Lingard Alli Sterling
    Kane Vardy Rashford

Chance of Phil Jones playing today - presumably he'll go if he stays fit?

Can see Alexander-Arnold really figuring in Southgate's thoughts over the final weeks of the season, and he must have a real chance. Big call to leave Trippier out of the 23 though?

Who doesn't go out of Rose, Young and Bertrand? (maybe Rose's niggles will cost him)

Delph looked good at left-back yesterday - and is another Southgate keeps name-checking. Can see him going if he stays fit.

Will he risk Wilshere? Or go for Cook? (Shelvey still being touted, but chances seem very slim)

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    TAA, Rose, Welbeck, Tarkowski, Pope and a CM (probably Livermore). Add those 6 to WizardOfTheDribble’s 23 and that is probably our provisional squad.

11. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    If Delph goes Young stays. I don't think leaving Trippier out would be a big vall myself.

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Would be a big surprise if Trippier doesn't make the 23 - I can't see it. However, if Southgate is anticipating that Walker and Trippier will both start, as they did in the last couple of friendlies, then perhaps he might consider taking TAA as a reserve wing-back. If he doesn't do that and Trippier misses a game or is playing poorly, then he's either got to move Walker wide and rejig the defensive set-up, or play someone out of position (Oxlade-Chamberlain or whoever).

Let's wait and see if TAA can sustain his form though. Until a few games ago, he'd had a decent season but not much more.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You could make an argument that more than half our squad has had a decent season and nothing more. It’s not as if Trippier has been great this season. Trippier isn’t good enough on the ball to play wing back either.

I’m a bit bemused by the tentative approach some have for TAA when Gomez, RLC, Winks and more had just as short and arguably less impressive runs to gain England call ups.

14. Depending on how attached he is to playing Walker in the middle (and he does seem quite attached), it would be a big call to effectively make TAA the starting RWB as a 19-year-old though.

From nowhere.

And just the personal thing of dropping Trippier like a stone from the 23 after looking like a shoo-in for over a year would be tough - especially for a manager who basically admitted he called Livermore up, in part, as a thankyou for turning up to previous get-togethers

W.A.S.P. and ChristianSur repped this.
  15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think he's good enough. He's never going to be world class, but if he'd been as mediocre as all that, he'd have lost his place to Aurier long ago.

It's partly a matter of where we are in the tournament cycle. It's one thing to take a punt on adding someone to the player pool, and self-evidently a very different thing to throw them straight into the World Cup squad as an unknown quantity.

But when I say that we should wait and see, I mean until the squad is named. If TAA keeps playing the way he has in the last couple of televised games, it'll be very hard to leave him out. If he looks vulnerable defensively, as he did at times earlier in the season, then obviously it won't. I don't think there's much doubt that he'll be an England player in the short-to-medium term though.

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I’m not saying Southgate will do it but I would. I said at the start of the season that TAA should be part of this squad if he gets a run of games. His overall quality is of the level of a player that can compete at the highest level.

Pretty much our whole squad is an unknown quantity at tournament level. This idea that our most impressive youngster this season should not be a squad member is just absurd to me.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    But not in the context of an England squad. There are two questions here though: does he take TAA? Quite possibly. Does he drop Trippier to do so? Seems much more risky and much less likely. I'd be happy if he took both and played Walker purely as centre-back.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Aurier usually plays in the tougher games that I’ve seen Spurs play. As a wing back with the midfield we are likely to play I think it will be an issue to carry Trippier. He’s not good enough on the ball. Good athlete with a decent overall game but against low block defences he and our overall team make up will struggle.

As for the cycle being against TAA he has already trained with the squad and we still have time.

ChristianSur repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah was gonna say that maybe Southgate could take Walker as a Centre back pick so it gives him room to pick Trippier and TAA as wing back options, especially if three at the back is the way we are going to play. I'm not sure Southgate will do this though as I think he seems set on the majority of players he's already used so I fully expect TAA to stay in the U21 set up but I don't necessarily agree with that however especially if he continues his good form.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Maybe drop Trippier and use Ashley Young as wing back cover. Or as you say take TAA and Trippier. In my head now though I can’t find a way I which I would want to start Trippier in a game. Maybe that is seen as harsh but that is how I see it.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I would rather we had a better option than Trippier who was at least somewhat established in the squad. However, given that we don't obviously have one, I'm not expecting Southgate to drop him from the squad entirely, and I'm not convinced that he should.

Young's a good suggestion though, to be fair. If Southgate wants to gamble on dropping Trippier entirely, then Young provides an experienced fall-back if it transpires that TAA can't quite handle it. Don't think it's a problem that he's in the habit of playing the left.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It is. I think we can say that with reasonable certainty now, after he's used it for four games running with a degree of success.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The other thing I like about a TAA/Walker combo in the CB/wing back roles is that they can both pick incisive passes, dribble from deep, link play under pressure and are more fluid in there movement. There is so much more you can do tactically and the room they can create for others is vital for a team like us. Trippier simply doesn’t offer enough in comparison.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Alright, you've convinced me. If TAA sustains his form, then Young's inclusion could justify dropping Trippier entirely.

I'm still not expecting it to happen, mind you.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Agreed, this is what it comes down to and I just can't see Southgate making the changes now unfortunately. The only way I can see it happen is if Trippier gets injured.