England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Especially when we don't even use the last sub. Can't believe Barkley hasn't got 10-15 mins at least. Bizarre.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Think he means Callum Wilson.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    For someone that's comes across like he's on the ball and has superior knowledge about the team and guys there, one would think he's aware of the situation of dual nationality guys especially after losing Zaha.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ah, cheers, I forgot about him

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That's what I thought, but he isn't in the squad, and in fact he's out injured - not expected back until about October. Maybe Harold?

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Rashford impressed again when he came on - lively, positive and always looking to come up with something.

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    we can't get so obsessed with getting players cap tied. Redmond is nowhere near going to play for someone else.

Zaha was off the scene for 4 years before he decided to go elsewhere.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's not really obsessing I was just pointing out what I would do. It's just if the opportunity is there why not do it? Instead we make no change at all in the closing minutes.

Southgate basically ruined the shape of the whole team to get JWP and Redmond on the pitch against Germany. But using a sub in the last mins of a game is not worthwhile?

9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Incidentally, Scotland have done us a favour by beating Slovenia. The closest team is now Slovakia, 4 points behind us.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It helps, but I don't think it's really needed. Win the next two and we'll be pretty much through.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ross Barkley just liked this tweet -

[​IMG]

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    We're playing Scotland and Malta next so that's highly unlikely (EDIT: in fact it's mathematically impossible that we'll qualify within two games). Maybe within three we'll have qualified, but it's kind of stating the obvious to say "if we don't drop any points then we'll be fine".

In any event, we're two points closer than we would otherwise have been.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought young Keane and Stones did well. Granted it's only Lithuania but, still... as the saying goes, you can only beat what's put in front of yer.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Not accurate though, is it. It's seven games but only two call-ups, and just one under this manager. The first five games are the Euros.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Which means he hasn't been given a chance by anyone since before the Euros. I think it's fair enough for him to feel annoyed considering the options we have. Where does starting Jake Livermore get us long term? It's almost as if being technically accomplished goes against you in certain roles in Southgate's teams.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Do you really see Barkley competing for the role that Livermore played? He hasn't played there in years, and hardly ever.

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Something they will later regret if we end up scraping by.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Got done watching the game on DVR:

- I think Rashford will be very useful as a sub for the forseeable future since he's so positive and sticks to his position.
    - Alli didn't have as bad as a game as some have said, but could've been better and Lithuania deserves credit for that. They were well organized and made it difficult to break through.
    - I like this Stones and Keane partnership. Didn't really commit any errors and well done by Stones to clear the ball off the line when it should've been offsides. My God that was a terrible decision ball the linesmen.
    - Awesome to see Defoe score.
    - Vardy again plays decent for England.
    - I'm officially in favor of Walker being our #1 right-back. Incredibly athletic and picked off Lithuania a handful of times too.

Really I'm just glad we won and in the past I'd be concerned if we beat a side like Lithuania 2-0, but at this point in time we need W's and it doesn't matter much how we get them, though I prefer it this way by dominating possession.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I would rather play someone like Barkley there in a friendly than Livermore. Our flaws have always been around our CM technical flaws. Playing Dier/Henderson Dier/Drinkwater, Dier/Livermore, Dier/Cattermole or Dier/Jason Lowe isn't going to solve anything long term.

This is what bores the hell out of me under Hodgson and Southgate. A player like Henderson can struggle continuously in a role and he's given the captaincy because of a high energy style. But technical options are dropped completely or considered solely options for number 10 roles.

Then after all that we push our more technical options in the team wider to fit in Dele Alli as a 10.

It's not as if we are playing that great or convincing with this plan so far. It all feels very predictable to me.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wales is in third place in their group and have to play Serbia in Belgrade for their next match.

Ireland are on track to qualify as they have 11 points and in second place behind Serbia.

With Scotland beating Slovenia it helps us out, but they really needed a win like that to boost their morale. That game in June has now gotten extra juicy. It'll be important to win because Slovakia and Slovenia will probably win both of their games, which also means Scotland may well go for the win.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I thought we did play pretty well against Germany in the 3-5-2, which is the relevant game if we're talking about playing Barkley instead of Livermore. To be clear, I agree that Livermore isn't the answer alongside Dier, but I really can't see that that position is suited to Barkley either. The two CMs in that formation have to provide something of a solid base, as the wing-backs are joining the front three in a five-man attack. Wilshere could do it, I'm sure. Maybe Lallana could, if we were willing to do without him further forward. In due course, I'd like to think that Winks or Hughes could too, and possible others. But Barkley? He's not the most combative, and he's struggled in deeper roles previously because he doesn't always seem to know which risks are worth taking. I'm not aware that he's demonstrated any progress on that front, so much as being moved far enough forward that it doesn't matter.

That isn't to say that I don't want to see Barkley play - I do, but I think he's in competition for the two or three spots supporting the front man, along with Sterling, Lallana, Dele, and maybe Rashford. Those aren't players lacking technical skills, less still bad players. Perhaps he should have been brought on for Dele tonight, but it's such a small criticism in a game that we won comfortably that I don't really think it needs to be made.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We didn't even need to play 3-5-2 in that game. I would rather give Barkley a chance in any system in friendlies than call up people that wont be here long term because of technical deficiencies. We are obsessed with worry about if an option will struggle tactically with a role but are passive and eventually accepting when players have technical flaws in a role.

I'm not a fan of Alli as a 10 in this team and thought he was poor today. So to see Barkley not even get on the pitch is underwhelming looking forward.

I think Winks and a few others long term could help this team with balance in midfield but I can't say I have confidence in Southgate to get it right. That is why I am always moaning on this page :ninja:

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    100% agree. 1/ Alli had a very poor game 2/ Barkley could easily play the deep role for England IMO, I remember him vs France he had a very good game and played quite deep with Alli and Dier in a midfield 3.

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought almost everyone on here wanted to see Dele as a No. 10 or am I wrong?

25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just realised that we've played Scotland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta and Lithuania and scored eight goals. That's a depression stat... On the upside we haven't conceded and the only team not to after today.