England 2022

Discussion in 'England' started by David Brooks, May 10, 2018.

1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #51 sharpovic, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    It was more a wish than a prediction. However, I don't think we ever had such a talented pool of youngsters, so wouldn't be too surprised if quite a few of them made the team before 2022.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I would also expect significant changes in four years time. The big difference for me is the amount of quality or potential that is coming through compared with say the last World Cup cycle or even 2010, obviously some will probably end up like Berahino but I’m still really hopeful that a good number will have progress to be under consideration for the National team. Midfield would be the main shake up imo and in four years time I can really see players like Grealish, Foden, Mount and even maybe Maddison breaking through. Defensive midfield could be slim pickings though.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Personally I think Mount and Sancho will make senior international debuts next season.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm never quite sure which Chalobah people are talking about, the elder
    substandard one or the potentially more promising younger one.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That's perfectly reasonable. I predicted Sancho would be a big England star when he was still at school. I thought he might even squeeze in to the current WC squad before he left City.(didn't of course make it, the lengthy injury spell and delay getting back to form didn't help).

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm still quite high on Rashford. People may forget that he's still only 20 and has huge amounts of potential. Won't be surprised to see him and Sancho battling it out for a starting position at LW.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Between the two I think Mount has a better chance because he plays in a position that is kinda up for grabs in the seniors and he's also coming off a fantastic season playing competitive, first team football.

I'd also throw in Foden.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I was talking about the younger one, at CB

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about a 2020 thread, given the age profile of our current squad and our dominance at youth levels recently it should be on paper (that dreaded phrase) a much stronger squad than this one. Even though I'm upset about them losing I now have hope again - it's the hope that kills but still...

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    More talent but an even younger and inexperienced profile. I'd be interested to see which 'elder statesmen' people think will still be around in two years time.

Kane looks a dead cert to still be around, be one of the most experienced players in the squad and probably captain the side again (age in two years: 26). Henderson (30) can still have a role to play but isn't beyond falling down the pecking order for club and country in the next few years, you could say the exact same for Kyle Walker and Danny Rose. Stones (26) should be approaching 50+ caps by then but I'm not sure he's much of a leader, Dier (26) could be on 40+ caps but has underwhelmed. Sterling (25) could easily end up being the most capped player in the squad...

Young (35) and Cahill (34) won't be back. Phil Jones (28), Delph (30), Vardy (33) and Welbz (29) all look like long shots too. Wilshere (28) and Oxlade-Chamberlain (26) are two from outside the squad who could come back into the fold and have a lot of caps under their belt already. Lallana (32) and Sturridge (30) seem less likely to return, although Lallana has never relied on pace and Liverpool have been trying Sturridge out in a deeper role in pre season.

Of players who are putting themselves on the radar to get into the next squad Chalobah the elder would be the oldest at 25, if you consider Michael Keane (27) to already be an established option.

11. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #61 Slater582, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Suppose for the point of a fun topic this is assuming England will qualify. I'm old enough to remember not making the 1994 World Cup (or 2008 :() and you saw what happened to four time winners Italy (and the Dutch who had finished second and third at the previous two) last time out. Seen enough in sport to not take qualification for granted. Last I heard FIFA were considering expanding this tournament although I don't know if UEFA were one of the confederations to benefit from more places.

Anyway I'd expect Southgate will stick with 4-3-3. Think Gunn can be a more stable goalie than Pickford, if the former stays with England. In terms of central defenders I reckon Maguire, Stones & Gomez are a cut above the other options and don't expect that to change in the next couple of years. Trent on the right. Chilwell probably the safest bet at left back. I suspect Pochettino will play Sessegnon at fullback but remains to be seen.

Front trio of Sancho, Sterling & Kane. Midfield will make or break the side. Foden is too talented not to make it eventually imo. As it stands Rice seems the most likely to get the defensive midfield role. Ideally the remaining player would balance the side and I'm hopeful Loftus-Cheek hasn't been damaged by that injury. As I recall the average age of an outfield player at World Cups is around middle-to-late twenties so Jordan Henderson at 32 would be pushing it.

What do you think of Dean Henderson, MG?

Do you rate Chalobah ahead of Maguire or Joe Gomez? And are you expecting Sterling to age badly?

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, he’s a good keeper and I think he’s leapfrogged Butland at the moment. If I was going to have another stab at the predictions for keepers come next Summer then it would be Pickford, Henderson and Gunn. Having said that, Southgate is very loyal so wouldn’t surprise me if Heaton and Pope are in place of Henderson and Gunn. It really is a bit of a lottery of who the back up keepers.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Feels weird to have as many starting English GKs in the top 2 divisions at the moment.

Really disappointing to see what happened to Butland over the weekend but have felt for a while that he isnt cutting out those cheap errors.

Pickford 25
    Gunn 23
    Pope 27
    Henderson 22
    Heaton 33
    Foster 36
    Ramsdale 21

Walton 24
    Long 26
    Johnstone 26
    Philipps 24
    Rudd 28
    Lumley 24
    Bettinelli 27
    Bentley 26
    Woodman 22
    Butland 26

hussar and ChristianSur repped this.
  14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's unfortunate that not one of them is an exceptional talent though.

15. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    There are lot of good teams who don't have an exceptionally talented goalkeeper, still win some things. If that 2004 Euro England team would have a Pickford or even a Henderson instead of the aging David James, things could have been much different.

Sam1010 repped this.
  16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Always hard to predict the future. Gomez ahead of Chalobah obviously. Ahead of anyone actually, I rate him very highly. Foden central. Sterling Sancho but CHO should be close to the first 11 hopefully. It will be interesting to see what Pochetino does with Sessegnon.