End of Season Countdown

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by goussoccer, Aug 5, 2019.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We, at our best, are this year a "middle of the road" MLS team. There was a time, long ago in the earlier days of the Millenium, that we were a top 3-4 team year after year. I have to think that this is what Bruce is aiming for.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    This.

If we don't have confidence that Arena has much higher aspirations, then we're not going to have faith in anything.

3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
  4. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The funny thing is that by my calculations Bruce has achieved that already, by at least one measure. Since Friedel was fired, the Revs are 8-2-9. That's 33 points over 19 games for a 1.74 PPG average. That PPG average would put them tied for 3rd in MLS. Not bad. Now they just need to finish the job.

5. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #55 A Casual Fan, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    But - can he convince Krafts to also adopt that mindset? The Billion Dollar Question.
    (It's not The Bruce that any of us should be worrying about - it's the other powers.)

If this offseason doesn't have a lot of roster action, to move this team *** way way way *** up the ladder - then I think our hopes are toast, in terms of of how much leverage Bruce really has.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Arena would have even taken the job if he wasn't sure that he could change the Kraft mindset to his view, and not the other way around.

Of course, I also thought (hoped) that when we signed Jermaine Jones and he instantly turned the team around, that Ebeneezer Kraft would have changed his ways because we were this close to a championship, but as we all know, it dind't turn out that way....

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just take the $2M they are wasting on Mancienne, Agudelo and Zahibo, and spend it on 3 better players.

pwykes repped this.
  8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As it stands right now, our trip to Atlanta in the finale will likely be a dress-rehearsal for our playoff opener. And, it may very well be pretty meaningless for both teams, other than posturing for the follow-on match that does mean everything.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or just one MUCH better player

A Casual Fan repped this.
  11. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    ...AND then take ANOTHER $2M...

....that the Revs AREN'T currently wasting, nor even yet spending....

... and spend THAT...

....on yet ANOTHER much better player.

---------------------------

I gotta say, that's about the level of offseason roster activity that I am expecting if The Bruce really has the power we are imagining he has been granted. Having enough difference makers is the reality these days of being a team that can realistically compete for the championship.

Without them, there are some fun flashes of good soccer along the way, but not enough to get season-long and deep-into-the-playoffs good results.

12. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I'm not so sure it will be 'pretty meaningless' for Atlanta (or us) - Atlanta is in within reach (at this time) of a bye and if not that, they are at risk of slipping to 3rd in the rankings, losing home field for the semi-final. We do NOT want it to come down to us needing a result there.

BrianLBI repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC took it to ATL last night, 4-1 behind Mitrita's hat trick.

ATL now eliminated from getting #1 seed, NYC only needs 1 point to clinch it from PHI.

14. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Dang, was hoping NYCFC didn’t need any points when they played us. So our last two opponents will still be fighting for positioning

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, please. :thumbsup:

How long have we been waiting for a chance in another tournament? Pretty much forever, other than the ones that didn't require qualification.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe this time we'll play home games that we can attend without having to get on a plane!

TOAzer repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 3 players in MLS have double digits in both goals and assists this year:
    Carlos Vela (30,15)
    Alejandro Pozuelo (11,11)
    Carlos Gil (10,14)

18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Nguyen used to be a good candidate for that list.

During the Portland game, they showed Valeri's MLS career stats. Something like: 80G 90A. Wow!

OTOH, in the midst of a contract extension dispute, I didn't think he had a great game.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    YAHOO!!! The countdown is OVER and we are in!!! Not the game I thought we would win to get in, but what a RELIEF!! Congrats to the team, a week to rest and a game to warm-up for the return visit with Atlanta. WHOO HOO!!! What a goal by Bou to ice it for us and finally a WIN. Yippee!!

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We made the playoffs. Sure, part of it is, I suppose, the failure of other teams to seize the day. But I think we can all agree that without Kraft pulling the trigger on firing Burns, and bringing in Bruce Arena [as close to a soccer version of Belichik we'll ever get], this never ever would have happened.
    Let's see how far this change in management carries us this year, and then let's build for something lasting, for placing the Revs into the rank of those teams that will lead MLS to one day, perhaps, being genuinely among the top 5-6 leagues in the world.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Ironically, I think there could be an incentive for the Revs to not win in Atlanta next weekend.

- Atlanta and Philly are tied in standings, with Atlanta having a +1 advantage in the first tie-breaker (wins)

- If we win (or tie) in Atlanta, Phi and Atlanta would probably flip positions #2 and #3

- if that happens, we would leapfrog Toronto if (and only if) they lose - they have the edge in the first two (at least) tie-breakers with us.

- If Toronto loses (and we win), we'd still play Atlanta, but as the #6 seed playing the #3.

Since we have to have to win the playoff game to advance regardless, better to be playing the higher seed, because we'd essentially claim their seed by winning.

OTOH, if we win or tie in Atlanta, its most likely Toronto would get at least a point, so Philly would likely cop the #2 and we'd play them as the #7 seed. That may end up as the best scenario for the Revs.

Regardless, I think there's definitely something to play for - especially with a break before the actual playoffs start.

22. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in that interesting position where we potentially play our playoff opponent the week before the playoffs start. Is Bruce Arena a better tactician than Frank de Boer? I think he is and could be our one advantage. Although it's very possible Martinez doesn't play next week and then comes back for the Playoffs, making this scouting match a bit worthless.

MLS is still a pretty much overall parity league so at this point it does make more sense to find the matchups best suited for you. Looking at the West, for instance, LA Galaxy should probably throw the last game to lock in the 4/5 seed, cause that would put them on track to meet LAFC in the second round, and they have had their number for 2 seasons.

Too bad the Revs can't shoot up to 5th, cause I think we have NYCFC's number and would love to get them in the second round.

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the first round, are the Revs better off facing ATL without Josef, or PHI without Bedoya?

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the Revs have a little bit more to play for Sunday.

How MLS teams can qualify for the 2020 Concacaf Champions League
    October 4, 2019, 4:38PM EDT
    Ian Quillen

Leagues Cup
    If I am reading this right, Philly could still get into the CCL if one of the other CCL teams wins MLS Cup. If that happens, both TOR and NER would get into the Leagues Cup.

25. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    16 teams is a huge field. Kind of dilutes the talent. That said, more comps that matter is cool.

I'd worry about stretching the already generally shallow MLS rosters by including more fixtures into packed season schedules