Emmanuel Petit goes off

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by SportBoy333, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's being dramatic (the part about Germany, specifically, is such a stupid and outrageous thing to say), but he does bring up a lot of good points. However, even though Thierry Henry is one of my all time favorite players, let's not pretend he was as good for club and country. Now, Henry had a tremendous career for France and scored a lot of important goals, so it's not like he was a disappointment in any capacity, but it's obvious he performed far better for Arsenal. I don't think it's his fault or anything like that though, but it makes sense why Arsenal fans would idolize him more. Personally, I think he's a legend and the second best player, in my lifetime, to have worn the blue shirt.

On the other hand, the English media and public are brutal with players, so I didn't really understand that part of his argument. I do agree about some of the French public. I've encountered my fair share of people who have nothing nice to say about the national team, but I wouldn't say it's a higher level than other countries. I feel like, if anything, the English supporters are more fed up with their NT than anyone else (in terms of the "big" European teams).

lefutur repped this.
  2. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    What good points ?

3. NicolasN.

NicolasN. Member

Oct 25, 2007
    France
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    People are entitled not to like Henry without being insulted by Emmanuel Petit, if they want to. Everybody sees that Henry is "fake", is always controlling his image while being extremely arrogant. He looks like a teen that is trying so hard to look cool that he becomes annoying and looks stupid. He could have redeemed his image during the WC fiasco in South Africa but instead he took the route of sitting in the back of the bus and meeting Sarkozy once the WC is over to complain about how young players don't listen to elders anymore. Everybody knows that it's also his fault if Trezeguet slowly disappeared from the NT since he didn't not like that he was stealing some of his attention while he always pretended otherwise. Henry's performances with NT were good during the Euro 2000 but the rest of the time we could have expected better.

Petit is already sounding stupid enough while talking about football, he should leave serious topics to other people. Not to mention that whinning about the elite looking down on footballers because they are "gueux" as he said and showing disdain toward those "gueux" and labelling them arrogant, liers and so on is pretty stupid . Perhaps he was talking about himself and his own arrogance and disdan toward these people.

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  4. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That some of the public can be hypocritical and arrogant. That's about it. Even then, it's not that good of a point since you'll find that within any population.

5. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I guess I'm in the minority that thinks Henry seems like a genuinely nice guy. Of course, you can never know with football players unless they're literally someone you personally know, but I've never gotten the vibe that Henry was being fake. I always thought his arrogance was mostly (not fully) a part of his game (kinda like Zlatan).

I don't agree about Trezeguet though. I think Domenech is to blame for that.

AfrcnHrbMan, lefutur and StarrMatthieu repped this.