Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emo was very impressive last night.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea’s out at least for a year

But, hopefully Bello returns quickly and in form.

Emo seems to be a rock solid pick up for Atlanta.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That, little grasshopper, is a pain you will never amortize. It is an enduring trauma that you must learn live with as penance for your crimes in (multiple) previous lives.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It will never pain me as much as Celtic TV for 9 minutes of Weah... that is a hadestown I must forever inhabit...

wixson7 repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Small sample set, but so far so good.

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    He was AWESOME. Best game i've seen from him, maybe ever. I'll put a write up together later. Just so damn happy for this kid.

8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, he had a great game but that early red card against Ellis was INCREDIBLY soft and Houston were always up against it after that. 85+ mins down a man with 60k fans breathing down your necks is a tough spot.

Loved how EH combined with his teammates, always had an intelligent idea about where to move or play the ball. It's clear he has a really high soccer IQ, but more than that he actually wants to combine with teammates. He rarely if ever puts his head down and drives blindly to the goal, like Pity sometimes does. Love that about him, will be interesting to see how he does the rest of the season. He may just be the guy Atlanta have been missing...

gogorath repped this.
  9. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Jan camp’s midfield should be interesting between Hyndman, Mihailovic, Pomykal, Servania, Cerillo and then maybe even guys like Parks and Busio

tomásbernal and freisland repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He needs some "real" competitive games, but he's showing the same vision that made him useful at Gers and Hibs - and he seems to have the players to utilize it. Will be more interesting once other teams get a read on him and start working to close him down a bit - see how he and the team react/adapt.

11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Emo vs Houston: 1st MLS start, played 60 minutes, was dynamite. And obviously playing up a man most of the time obviously helped. Played CAM on the left.

GOOD:
    - His work rate off the ball was out of this world, need to see heat map or miles covered or whatever, it was really unbelievable.
    - always moving into pockets and sliding for angles and running laterally across the field, made quite a few runs in behind the line. Would hate to cover him.
    - touch and control was good as always, had lots of time but pushed it quickly, and always proactive and forward.
    - loves to take rips from top of the box, not afraid to be a little selfish.
    - unlike SPL, ugh, his teammates want to play on the ground, quick possession moving it around.mm this totally is in his wheelhouse and he will thrive because of it. Tons of 1-2s.
    - so very smart, he’s got a field general mentality. Strong personality, calling out teammates, demanding the ball, lecturing after the play. Kid is intense and dialed in, but still has a quite demeanor.

BAD:
    - can I get one smile from him please. Just one.
    - gets frustrated when teammates don’t find him. It’s good competitiveness but will keep an eye on if that has negative team dynamic. Nobody likes playing with those guys, we all know them.
    - may not be the big goal scorer, and that’s ok, but he does look for smaller quicker easier passes at times which could diminish his stats.
    - does he have a 90 minutes full effort in him, tended to tire a bit with all the effort.

Struggling to find much bad in this game. As someone who’s watched almost every professional minute of his the past 6 years...Emerson has grown up and become a man. Body filled out, confident in his role and abilities and cocky enough to want to be a leader.

Man crush continues!

12. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    huh???

being young doesnt mean you are good.

half your list is iffy for u23 level let alone full team.

the problem was never the pool...even under JK...it was how the pool was used and still is....the "older" group...+24 is still better than the youngsters, if you actually want to win.

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Who is available for that camp that is better than those guys? Trapp? Roldan?

14. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I noticed that about his work rate as well. If Hyndman improves and gets into the NT picture we have Adams, McKennie, Pomykal, and of course Hyndman running all over the field.

wixson7 repped this.
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    that would be insane, we would drive opponents into the ground. drooling.

16. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post! Feel like the frustration comes from usually being in a good position and having a good idea about what to do with the ball if he were to get it. His teammates missed him a few times and I think in his mind he is or will be or should be the creative hub. If he's good enough he'll be this team's Valeri, and I think in his mind he is, which I suppose is a good and/or bad thing :)
    That said, he was on occasion in a bad position, or took bad angles relative to his teammates and still wanted the ball which as you said, is annoying.

Kinda love the no smiles. The boy is here to work, As Marta said, cry in the beginning so you can smile at the end!

wixson7 repped this.
  17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see: lee nguyen, nagbe, lletget, canouse, agudelo, holmes, adams, mckennie, morales, romain gall, bedoya (I'm not even a bedoya fan), corona, etc than many on your list.....there's also 2 attacking mids in argentina sonora and miljevic (sp?) that are getting time in their first division and/or copa sudamericana....

18. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    We're going too far off topic here but I was referring to January camp which isn't a fifa window. So only the MLS guys and Gall on your list would be eligible

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hyndman with another start, nearly a full game (90+1) and a win (2-0) Atlanta's second came in ET after Emojifies was subbed off, but he was on for Pity's goal at 89. I watched a few moments here and there, and ATL and EH looked pretty good except in front of the goal. Dunno if he was involved in the 1st goal. ATL also missed a PK.

Tom Collingsworth and wixson7 repped this.
  20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Only involvement on first goal was he was third to the celebration to join the Joseph and Pitty Martinez.

UniversalAdvice, wixson7 and freisland repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Almost an MLS celebration assist.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to break it to everybody but Emo will never be an international player. The guy is MLS mediocre at best. He has some good games that could work as his worst games to be camp cupcake fodder but his worst games prove that he’s far from even being January Camp potential.

23. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's like a more athletic but less skillful version of Harry Shipp.

24. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5649 chrome_vapors, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Your final sentence doesn't make any sense to me, but hardly anyone in this thread who's been paying attention in the lasts two years has projected him to be a first team international player.

But let's be real. He's better than the mediocre MLS player, and if he's so far from USMNT January camp potential, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the outer fringes of the US pool.

Emo is a good player. A lot to like, with some flaws that remind you of how difficult it is to make it in the top leagues. Would have been useful for the USMNT more recently than a decade ago.

His problem as it relates to the US player pool, along with almost everyone else born before 1998, the younger competition is just better.

DeCoverley and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You certainly can assess his MLS play better than I, and I would not be surprised if he's never a 1st choice USMNT player, but I also think any reports of his demise are premature.

We'll see how far he gets, but my guess is he figures for the USMNT, but would not be surprised if he never elbows his way into the regular "A" team.