Emerson Hyndman at Atlanta United (on loan from Bournemouth)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcpohl, Mar 24, 2008.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Do you really think skills deteriorate like that?

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Hyndman is definitely ahead of Zelalem who failed all the loans and getting some minutes at SKC. Not a fact that Hyndman is a starter for Atlanta but there are plenty of MLS teams where he would be helpful.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh god yes. Six months not playing competitive soccer is bad, bad news for a player in what should be the start of the peak of his career.

I like Emo because he's a smart player, but he's not shown any improvement in the last three years either. I'd say his best games are still those two with Fulham that earned him the B'mouth transfer (vs. Rotherham & vs. Cardiff).

After that, he's not lived up to expectation. Add to that the time not playing and you have a guy in a point in his career where he better takes any chance to play some minutes in a top tier league. ASAP.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't disagree he should be looking to play, but I can't say I'm convinced that a year on the bench/reserves with a top tier team equates with a loss of skills. Too many players transfer from that situation and do perfectly fine. It's not even like he was Agudelo playing beach soccer in the wilderness.

I don't think there was some huge difference in Hyndman's play between Fulham, Gers, and Hibs - save some strong evidence of maturing from Fulham to Gers.

But hopefully we get a chance to see for realz

Eighteen Alpha and wixson7 repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t know his true level but many a player never succeeded when on Prem books and went on to have success in good leagues on the continent.

With his EU passport I continue to be puzzled why he doesn’t give it a shot across the channel.

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too...he should keep trying in Europe until he is forced to give MLS a shot.

besides, if he's going to come to MLS...he oughta go to a team where he can be a bona fide starter. coming to ATL to be the backup seems like a bad idea for his future....

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    How real is this rumor?

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in Europe? Anywhere as long as it's Europe. Belarus, Romania, Serbia..be specific.

I personally think he ends up as a journey man squad player in MLS/USL, but I'm curious why everyone is projecting European success for player that had a hard time making an impact in Scotland.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hyndman lacks some bite, as well as things like an air game and has a few other weakness, but I don't think it's really accurate to say he had "a hard time making an impact" in Scotland.

His time at Gers was particularly good, esp given his age. Hibs was not as good a team, esp for Emo's skills, and Hyndman for sure had a harder time finding way to impact, but the positive data points are:
    Good enough at Fulham as a teenager to catch B'Mouth's eye - and garner an EPL transfer at just 20 years old.
    Loaned to Gers spring of following year, before turning 21. Immediately started, scored his 2nd game, had 14 league apps, 4G, 4 cups apps as was named Gers young player of the year. I watched nearly every game. He looked mostly very comfortable, confident and as if he belonged. Had a (well, 3...) rough Derby, as have many. He's didn't look like Brian Laudrup or Gio, but scored at least one game-winner and was good enough there was talk of Rangers keeping him and a lot of talk that Celtic should go for him.
    Sat for a whole year at B'mouth, then loaned to Hibs and got 15 apps and a goal in 1/2 a season...
    Howe did him no favors with his keep him but don't use him strategy, and until he gets a full season or two of real competition it will just be hypothetical, but if you look at highlights of his Gers and Hibs games, I think he shows a game that will be very helpful to the right club. The key at this point is finding the right club.

adam tash repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Portugal/France/Belgium/Italy.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me if he had really made an impression he would have stuck somewhere and earned some regular playing time. How old is he now?

12. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    FCD still owns his rights

They should trade for Carleton

yabo and adam tash repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think he turned 23 in April or May. Bournemouth was just not the Goldilocks club for him. But Rangers, esp Warbucks, wanted to keep him - or so it was widely reported. Howe did not want to let him go. Why Emo got stuck between Howe keeping him and actually getting chance, I don't know, and there may be some temperament or personality issue I'm unaware of. But as far as on-the-field performance, no one claimed he owned the SPL or anything, but he was very good for Gers, and not just by my eye.

I just hope he gets someplace where they need his input so we can see what he looks like over a full season.

adam tash and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Dallas is the last team in MLS in need of Carleton.

Alex Blanton and WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  15. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    They need winger depth and could actually get something out of him

But we're getting too far off-topic already

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are we at on Frank de Boer? Is being coached by him good or bad?

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or Germany/Switzerland/Denmark...would like to see him leave the UK.

the best club he can find that will give him consistent playing time. I realize he might not get that guarantee when picking what's next....but he's gotta choose wisely.

It's hard to just say country X...different countries have a wide range of clubs. It's more about the club than country, imo.

If he is coming to MLS...it should be to START. I find it weird that he would come to MLS to be a backup (if that is indeed the case). Has he not learned his lesson by now?!?! If there aren't any clubs in MLS that would use him as a starter that's one thing...but there's gotta be a few that would....

18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I'll take anything for him at the moment.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    His biggest problem as far as transfer - and this is often the problem - is he likes the attacking middle Realestate - and that's where the best players tend to end up. If he were more a winger, I think he'd have more options. He needs to go someplace that will allow him to be a non-wing outside mid or a CM without a lot of defensive responsibilities. Or he needs to increase his defense-side tackling. he actually makes a lot of attack-side tackles and is good at picking a pocket, but he's not as good back-peddling facing the ball and "getting stuck in..." If he could up that part of his game, he'd have more options as a real 2way/B2B who is also very clever in the attack.

20. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could care less about which league... MLS, Denmark, Portugal, Championship, as long as he gets regular playing time with the club he is contracted to. He needs playing time in real matches.

21. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Anyone who has actually followed him knows that he clearly continued to develop up until at least this season. The loan to hibs was a tough one. The style of play wasnt a good fit and he was never able to put his stamp on the team. No clue since january.

It was great he finally got a preseason with Bournemouth. I thought he showed that he was close to the level but not quite there. If he got the right chances, I think he could grow into it.

https://streamable.com/bf3qt

https://streamable.com/vy9c0

I do think he needs to find a role in a side that plays a style that fits him. I like him more advanced but think Berhalter's "non-defensive" central midfield QB role would suit him well.

Btw... thanks for adding some much needed constructive thoughts to this discussion.

22. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there we go, thats some good news......

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I wonder if ATL would have to pay a transfer fee or if AFC would just let him go.. I always suspected they would just let him go if he wanted to go at some point..

25. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apologies if this has been covered, but is he not subject to any allocation list? or does atlanta just have that allocation spot/weirdo discovery claim?