El indecido me molesta, si no me quiero, Transfer Thead 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #7551 The Jitty Slitter, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    To be fair he had a decent break out season, got injured and then never developed.

It happens

Wenger realised much to late he needed an Alonso type player at the base of midfield and so he signed Arteta - but unfortunately Arteta was never quite good enough and also went off the data cliff pretty quickly

but its illustrative that the next decent midfield was in 2013 when the gunners won the calendar year racking up 82 points

Arteta at the base, ramsey being good, ozil enters the side

rosicky was also decent in some of those games

Shame about his injuries as Rozzer was probably the only truly classy midfielder Arsenal had during those times

daedalus repped this.
  2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rest of the details don't matter. Wenger has been a minimum of six months late on every decision he's made in the last 7 years.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That's my feeling as well.

He was once an innovator in the league.

But these days he just copies stuff after getting spanked by other teams.

AEAAFC96, Serengeti_Boy, Fifty and 2 others repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even tactics. He goes years without bothering to address obvious deficiencies in the squad. For ********'s sake Almunia played 100 games and probably cost us points in 1/4 of them.

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jeebus Manny. I almost forgot about Manny. What an absolute trainwreck THAT was.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Aight. Wasn't trying to start a tactical analysis of the arsenal midfield circa 2008, was just rehashing my opinion on Denilson.

He was good, but I don't feel the team played better with him. He got hurt and song stepped in. Ramsey and wilshere were coming up and he couldn't find another spot.

It wasn't the injury, it was that the team was better with the other options. We've seen it plenty of times, most recently with debuchy, Gibbs and now Jack.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Song wasn't a started as a cm till 09 10 and even then as time progressed he moved further up the pitch

8. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not because anyone wanted him to, mind.

daedalus, thebigman and mebeSajid repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But still I will never forget those incisive throughballs he played to Cesc towards the end of his tenure at Arsenal. Yes he was leaving the back exposed more, but man he did have a knack and vision for a few killer offensive passes. At that moment in time anyway. ;)

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    except Wenger

Fifty, kanonier, thebigman and 1 other person repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His few and far "killer passes" (or Hollywood passes more aptly named) went to his head and may have also obscured his major positioning and tactical flaws. Her was simply a liabilty on the field. That we sold him to Barca for, iirc, 15 M is still incomprehensible to me. Arsenal really fleeced Barcelona on this (and a few others to be fair).

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't really disagree with any of that, but you have to admit that there were some spectacular Hollywood passes. There's one or two to Cesc that are stuck in my brain. No idea what game, but they paid off with important goals.

For the record I liked Song in general, and even though he sort of strayed away from his awesome enforcer role that was most endearing, I still was largely sad when we let him go. A spectacular bit of business that was by Wenger though to get Barca to pay 15M.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've given Arseblog's ArseCast a few listens now. It's growing on me. But the main guy's accent takes a bit of getting used to. What is that an American-Irish mashup? And what's his name?? The other guy who joins him, James from GunnerBlog(?)... I like him, thoughtful without a lot of stupid sh1t.

And what's the verdict on Football Weekly podcast? (he says, wondering if that might replace the daily 5Live podcasts which can be a bit too much of a time commitment)

14. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is annoying me. Song's greatest passes were to RvP and Eduardo, not Cesc.

15. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I only liked Song for this song....

Alex Dmitri Song Billong
    Plays the holding role
    scores the occasional goal

daedalus and kanonier repped this.
  16. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    James Olley in the Evening Standard tonight: The Deal: Arsene Wenger's 'Moneyball' works, but next Arsenal boss needs super agents like Manchester United talks about agent Jon Smith's new book The Deal.

The book contains an unprecedented level of detail on the inner workings of the club Smith has supported all his life and he believes the system can sometimes slow transfer business down, contributing to the frustration some supporters feel.

This might be an interesting book to pick up. I also saw Smith on AFTV interviewed by Robbie:

17. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that article and am unimpressed with its content. He basically said a whole bunch of things that Arsenal do to scout and evaluate players, then said Arsene has the final say. He also seems to think that the data-driven scouting is the holdup on player evaluation, which is nonsense, imo. Go look at Ted Knutsen's prospects from 13 and 14 and it's a great list. If our numbers people really take that long to evaluate people then they're a waste.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7568 NorthBank, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Song-to-RVP you're probably right that was the greatest combo. I think there was one that Robin took first time out of the air, like only he could do.

But still I have this memory of a few beautiful Route-1 passes to Cesc. Faulty memory or not, they're in my head. :D

daedalus repped this.
  19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Both Madrid team's one year transfer bans were upheld. Which almost certainly means that since they can't buy replacements, the rumored transfers for CR, Bale and Greizman will not occur until the winter of 2018 at the earliest. in anticipation of not winning their appeal this may also explain why Real Madrid didn't put Morata up for sale after the bought him back from Juve.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Griezmann has a buyout. Are the bans for outgoing transfers as well?

21. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. It's a player registration ban meaning they can't add any new players to their UEFA sanctioned rosters (which covers the country's league).

22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    But it means they won't sell anyone because they can't replace them.

Firesale at Real coming up :D

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, but a buyout is different, no? Once that is met, if the player agrees terms, the club has to let the player go (anyone who mentions Suarez has to watch Chamakh's hair over the ages).

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    No just incoming, but they won't be able to replace any players that leave.

See I was beaten to it.

25. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    he just signed a new contract, how much is the buy out?