EL: Atalanta Bergamo - BVB

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by hava, Feb 22, 2018.

1. kbvb

kbvb Member

May 15, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Did we make a mistake by letting Bender leave? We lack someone in the midfield who has b*lls and can fearlessly challenge to win the ball back. Weigl has no sense of marking and defending, Dahoud has failed to convince the managers, lesser said the better in case of Sahin.

2. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We sort of did hurt ourselves with Bender because we are reportedly going after a similar type this summer but he also realized there was no room for him here. He wasn't used as a midfielder anymore and we got two more CBs in the summer. It also doesn't help that Rode, who was supposed to be the Bender upgrade, is injured all the time and that he didn't even have a handful of good games for us.

Concerning Pulisic, we know he has the talent but he is struggling right now, his head doesn't seem to be free. Kicker had a little story about him as well talking about how he got many starts under Stöger but that the assists he recently got cannot hide the fact that he wasn't convincing in the games this year. Stöger said he didn't start him in the last league game to take away some of the pressure and feeling of responsibility that Pulisic burdens himself with.
    But if he continues to play like that, he'll have problems to make the bench when Sancho, Philipp and Yarmo return. At the moment, he gets a lot of playing time because we only have 3 wingers for 2 spots. He isn't as bad as Sahin or close to the category that LP showed against Bergamo, but he sticks out as the clear underperformer on his position.

thisisthelife repped this.
  3. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How long since the whole team genuinely played well? This season has been, at best, a series of painfully mediocre performances.

Stöger had better be a temporary solution because I don't like the longer term prospects watching the current tactics.

4. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So we face Salzburg.

5. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Winable tie

Leipzig got the tougher draw vs Zenit

Milan vs Arsenal (CL worthy match 12yrs ago)

6. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A year ago, this tie would be a walkover for Dortmund. This time it is winnable, but wont be pretty.

Still, a favourable draw, and a good chance of 1/4 finals.

Barring an epic transformation, I struggle to see lifting the trophy as a realistic target. Up against the likes of Atleti, Stöger's team have virtually no chance.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Weigl was very good defensively last year. Bender was never healthy. I think, as @Dage said, that Weigl never came back fully healthy.

Liquid1010 repped this.
  8. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    What do you guys think of recalling Paslack from loan ? He hasn't done much there, and it would be nice to see him given a chance. He certainly can't be much worse than Toljan has been

kbvb repped this.
  9. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Haha how do you know Swahili, albeit broken

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh... That's what that was...

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Passlack deserves another shot if Toljan is going to be trash out there.

TimBenneth and Liquid1010 repped this.
  12. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Just traveled around a lot, I guess : ) ... but yea, Pulisic is having a bit of a strange season. I think we forget just how young he is ... but I certainly do not want to see him end up at Arsenal tho. Not after Aubameyang ... and Mikhitaryan ... and Mislintat : )

13. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Toljan has been really poor, but I would give him another year. He was never the most talented.

We have a real chance to win the Europa, but we are going to need for Barca to slip up in the league, so Atletico can focus on that.

Watching some ex players at the moment, the actual world class ones.
    Gundogan is going to be picking up trophies, but Auba must really regret going to Arsenal. I understand he went for the money, but it's not going to be fun there.

14. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought Swahili was written in Arabic script, not Roman.

15. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    You know, I don't really know to be honest. That was the way i ws taught it, but it very well might have started off as something completely different. There are a lot of similarities, I guess it is like German and English ... for instance 'Good morning'. But yea ... interesting question