PBP: EJ & Adu: Kavala vs Aris (Superleague) 3/6 16:45 Greek/ 9:45 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by VAMOS ARIS, Mar 5, 2010.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    There's all sorts of rational reasons for Freddy not to play. I don't think that equating "playing" with "rushing things" is one of those reasons though. Unless there is a whole bunch of other players who you can think of that would be better off if they played less?

Soccer players don't play till they're 80 years old. They have limited time for a career. If Freddy doesn't go to this WC, that will reduce his WC chances to attend from 4 to 3 (25% drop), assuming he isn't playing when he's 36. That's a significant drop don't you agree?

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    so?

3. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    So what?

4. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuper doesn't care about Freddy's WC chances this year, in 4 years, or when he is 80.

5. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    And? What difference does it make whether Cuper cares about Freddy's WC?

6. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Weren't you making a point about Freddy's WC chances and Cuper's playing of Adu?

7. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    No. I was making a point about how short a soccer player's career was -- in response to the idea that not playing, and then missing a WC was really no big deal.

I realize that Freddy Adu is only 20, but watching how other players improve by playing makes it obvious that if Freddy doesn't get to play, he won't improve. No matter how you sugar-coat it. Simple as that.

8. rlawrence

rlawrence Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, new poster here! I'm a huge USMNT fan, and a big fan of following Yanks abroad! I really appreciate all of the input and news about our guys here, and especially like the enthusiastic support for Freddy.

Don't be discouraged everyone, I believe he will start getting matches again, and soon (if he keeps the tweets down and his work ethic up!).

We've waited so long for a good situation for him, that we are very impatient for him to play here.

This is a good coach. He's not going to put the new, weakish form, technical player out on a soggy pitch in his most important games of the season.

Never fear, though, his ascendancy will begin soon!