PBP: EJ & Adu: Kavala vs Aris (Superleague) 3/6 16:45 Greek/ 9:45 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by VAMOS ARIS, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

That's fair but the truth is Javito did nothing with the ball, log passes or running. The only thing he did was run the ball out of bounds or into a defender. Perhaps you are right Javito was in to fuel an effective counter attack but let's admit that effort failed.

2. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    I agree Bolo... I dont say that Javito was good. Actually he was very bad...! He missed big chance when score was 0-1 and he didnt manage to keep the ball for long time. I just say that maybe Cuper used him because he thought that the style of this game with Kavala fits better to Javito.

3. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I certainly appreciate your opinion! -- you have more information than the rest of us do....I was just wondering if the problem was that Freddy wasn't fast enough? Or if the problem was more ball control?

Sounds like Javito is faster, but he can't do anything with the ball at the end of the run. Freddy isn't the type of player to run with the ball, but if you can get the ball to him, he can do something with it.

4. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Javito is the fastest player maybe in whole superleague.
    Problem is that at the end he rarely make any chance for the team.
    He fells down really easy, and his crosses are mostly poor. If he was good at this 2 things he will be playing for Barcelona i guess. Hes good at defense as well.
    Problem is that he will be always the player of 5 or 6. He wont do a super dribble or play fantastic football. In my opinion he should be at bench but i m not Cuper and he knows better.
    The negativity about Javito is that he makes Calvo to play at left while hes right winger and right footed. Calvo is one of our best players as Adu admitted as well and he cant be at bench. So Cuper has to decide if he wants Calvo at his natural position (right) and let Adu play at left.
    Paok game incoming, its THE game of the year for us together with semifinals and final. Thessaloniki is at war and everyone looks each other with hate :p
    So Cuper wants to be offensive at this one, noone is satisfied with a draw, we are obliged to win. Propably Adu can do the trick. Lets see.

5. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    1)The problem is that he wasnt fast enough.... with the ball....

2)I know that he isnt this type of player but if you play in winger you have to do this. I know that his normal posiotion is second attacker.

Anyway... In next days we have to play a lot of games and its sure that Adu will play. Maybe will play next Sunday with paok. We will see...;)

6. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    This is something I think is under discussed. I think Aris will look back at this game and look at is as 2 wasted points. Yes I know a draw on the road is the goal but they really gave up the field in the second half of this game, played not to lose instead of playing to win. It was obvious in the first 5 minutes of the second half Kavala would equalize.

7. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Yes, it is TRUE Adu is not fast with the ball. He just doesn't have the speed to run through defenders down the sidelines a la Sean-Wright Phillips, Aguero, etc.

What he does have is the abilities to move around defenders in traffic since he's very quick with the ball at his feet. This is the prime reason why he's more fitted in the withdrawn forward and attacking mid positions. His skills are much better used in those roles where he can receive the ball, hold, distribute and create offensive chances.

He just does not possess the physical attributes or the defensive prowess to be succesfull as a winger, unless it's a 4-3-3 type where he is free to roam and cut inside like a Messi.

I am sure he'll do his best and try to be usefull for Aris as a winger, but to truly unlock his talents and help the team better, he needs to be in midfield behind the forward(s).

8. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    When Adu plays, he scores, and yet he has suddenly stopped playing.

Just like Benfica.

Also most of the games you've seen Adu play have been on a wet pitch, harder to run that way, and he can beat defenders much better on the right side cutting to his left, but he can cross better on the left side.

9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    you must understand that Benfica was a very unqiue situation and, IMO, he did very well to get off the bench.

that Benfica roster was loaded with experienced international starters. guys like Di Maria (argentine young talent) and Gomez (portuguesse national team striker) had to sit on the bench.

you must also remember that he got regular play time with two coaches. his pt ended abruptly when the third coach took over, and coincidentally that's right after Adu took off for the Olympics and missed about a month of team training.

10. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    I would presume that Cuper is playing the team that he wants against Paok (i'll take your word for it that that's a big game!:D). Otherwise, what would be the advantage of not playing a player who you know you'll need?

It really is strange....Freddy plays and does well and then -- nothing. Again. No wonder people start to look for off the field problems or problems in training. (luckily we're a little bit more plugged in at Aris, so we'll hear that kind of gossip I think)

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There really is no mystery if you follow Aris games. Meriem came back from cracking his nose, and is fit to play. Freddy had a drop in form 1 game, and thats all it takes for competition to creep up on you. When there is a guy that is just as good as you waiting behind you to take your spot, it cuold happen. Cuper saw his form drop, so decided to give meriem a shot, first with taking out freddy at the half that one game, and giving other options a shot in his position. Thats how its always been. Aris looked like shit last game, on the wing that Toni Calvo wasnt playing on. So i think its safe to say Freddy will be back into rotation again, same with him and meriem.

Cuper brought Adu to Aris, I doubt he'd pull a monaco or belenense, cause both those teams were poor, and had poor offense. Aris is different, and as already shown, he has good chemistry with the team, not to mention it seems the players all like him and his enthusiasm.

People are quick to think its another loan situation all over again, but it isnt i can almost assure you of that.

12. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Well, it is another loan situation...

I've forgotten...Freddy has how many goals and how many assists in how many minutes? What are the goals against when he plays?

13. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    let me guess... you are the one on the right...

[​IMG]

14. nick1278

nick1278 Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a question for the Greek posters on here. (I always enjoy and appreciate your comments on Adu and Johnson.) How is the current economic situation in Greece going to affect the soccer clubs? Is Aris having problems financially? Just wondering how the Greek economic situation, which has been in the news over here in the US, will affect Adu and other loan players, and the league in general. I know this is a bit tangential for an Adu thread, but I'm interested.

15. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can we put that one to rest for a bit now?

16. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Haha I forgot to say another 'bad' loan siutation. Forgot to add that part.

17. Seanin

Seanin Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hey, here's a crazy thought: maybe the guy who brought in a 20 year old on an 18 month loan doesn't feel the need to rush things and instead will try to develop his talents and put him in situations where he will excel. Take the possibility of Freddy playing at the WC out of the equation and there is nothing too alarming about being left out for a game or two. Good managers do it with young players all the time. Let's assume Cuper has an 18 month plan for Freddy the goal of which is 'make him better so we can sign him and sell him later for a fortune' not 'let's rush a vulnerable former prodigy into the first team every game so he can realize his dream of going to the World Cup'. There, doesn't that feel better?

18. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Toni Calvo's goal will be the best goal of Match Day 25 in superleague.
    Its already first by 60%. I remind you that Nafti got same award at previous game against Larisa.

19. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    freddy will play the next match?? i think that calvo is better on the left and adu on the right what do you think??

20. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Only Cuper knows. Calvo is right footed so it will be the opposite if they both play. Adu left, Calvo right.

21. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    right! but they can shot or dribble better if they play in their opposite foot side i think like messi that play on the right and he is left foot, vucinic, ronaldinho and other..

22. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Cuper said to Adu before he signed that he will only use him as left winger.

23. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    so do you think taht adu will play next match?

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    only way to find out....tune in when the ball kicks...

25. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey this is no place for rational, logical explanations!

All joking aside the rational side of me agrees with this view...the other side of me is just pissed because I got up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday to watch him play and instead got a DNP...