EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Adu with the defensive track-back to win Aris's first possession of the 2nd half. We're off...

2. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu working on D. :D

3. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good effort there. Lost the ball when he was triple teamed, then stalked the guy and tackled the ball back.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    To describe it objectively, he gave the ball away in a *dangerous* position. ;)

5. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if you hate him, you are required to say under the moon ;)

6. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankin Ives. As much as I love his site, he completely passed over a question I had like in late 2008 or sometime this past year for one of the Q&A sections. I asked something like "is Freddy Adu a winger now and/or is that the type of position change he will need to play for the Nats? And do you think that is his best position now?" I also included something about Renken and Gyau on the wings.

I guess time has answered my question.

7. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I'm most interested in how he's doing on the defensive side of the ball and with his individual possession. I'm not worried about his passing so much. He's a generally good passer and I know he'll be taking risks with that. I'm certainly not worried about his scoring.

I believe that his individual possession of the ball and his defensive play are going to go a long way toward defining how Bob is/isn't able to fit him with the team. Everyone seems to agree that he should be played on the left at the int'l level, right or wrong. As most already know our defensive weakness is traditionally on the left side. Freddy's ability to get rid of the ball quickly, minimize being knocked off the ball, and ability to provide solid defense will determine Bob's comfort with moving Landon to the right and Dempsey up top.

Goals are great. I love 'em. But it's what Freddy is doing with the ball and on the defensive side of it that I'd love to hear about. I'll get more excited hearing how invested he is in this than anything else b/c it'll give us a lot of flexibility in the run up to June.

8. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    this is exactly what Cuper demands from his players...

good job there...:cool:

9. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Channel 1. It's a very small stream, fuzzy as heck if blown up. But it seems reliable, i.e. not choppy, no stopping to buffer, etc.

Imho, Freddy's goal was quite good, from the beautiful overhead pass to his one touch finish. Overall, for me, he's playing fine. Not great, save the goal, e.g. he did look tired to me at the end, and at times his positioning and touch might have been better. But he still looks like a clear starter. And he's shown, again, that he's not afraid to get stuck in on defense.

(This is as far as I can tell on my little, itty bitty stream, anyway.)

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Defensively, there's no other way to say it, he's getting stuck in. No doubt about it, he's bought into what Cuper wants and requires.

On the possession side, he's showing excellent moves, vision, and ideas, but he's a little rusty individually and still needs time to get to know his teammates better, and they need to know him. The usual assimilating into a team. He's also still getting match fit.

The best news is that he seems to be the starting left mid.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy's playing very well right now.

12. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    For me, he looks to be clearly improved in terms of both defense (lots of running and not afraid to slide in for the tackle) and strength on the ball. Good enough for Bob? Who knows. I think most fans are pleased with what they're seeing in these two areas. (Fwiw, in his last Belem appearance, I noticed the same thing.)

13. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    For those wanting to see Adu's goal, and missed the whole first half like me, check this link out. Steve Goff posted it up on his blog, the soccer insider.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/video_freddy_adu_scores_again.html#comments

Man, just from this second half, freddy is back! His confidence is back, his touch, and even see him hustle like many claim he wasnt able to do when he looses the ball. I saw him chase down a defender and take it back frmo him! Thats really good!

Not to mention the great fit this league is for him, i said this before, he'd do real well because of the time they give him on the ball compared to MLS/EPL. This or Mexico or Brasil would have been perfect fits for him, seeing how many players go through greece from brasil and mexico. Also not to mention how good Aris is as a fit for his playing style. He really is the epitome of touch and go soccer, he knows how to do feints well 1v1, knows how to play well in small spaces, its amazing that he is even considered an american! You dont see that out of one! Maybe more though now as guiys like torres are coming out of the woodwork.

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    O shit! Nafti's back! Expect some really good play through the middle, he is like their creator, on many games since EJ and ADU arrived!

15. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Substitution:

Fernadez is out and Nafti replaces him in the CM's

16. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I hope it continues. Like I say, I believe those are the things that'll go a long way toward defining how Bob sees him: 1) LM starter or 2) offensive sub as a withdrawn forward/AM where he's less of a defensive liability.

If he keeps this level of play, I don't doubt that he's going to SA. But defense and ability to hold and distribute will determine his role.

17. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    looked like EJ is warming up. Hopefully, he'll get in.

18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Hmm.... javito might be coming in for Adu if what I hear migth be right from the announcers?

19. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0 Aris!!!!

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Gol Gol Gol, Adu involved in the build up. 3-0. Koke with the goal.

21. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Aris with number 3 - Adu helps spring a breakaway (secondary assist)

22. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-0. Adu w/ the through ball that set-up the 2 v 1. Just like Fifa 10. :D

23. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu off Javito on.

24. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Gooooooooooal Aris!

Started by a pass from Adu! Seemed like it might have been a little heavy, but the player he was passing to managed to get it past a sliding defender, then pass it over to his teammate wide open in the box, who slotted it home.

3-0 Aris!

25. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy with a through ball, a defender slides in and makes a mess of it, Aris forward sprints down the field bringing the goalkeeper out, passes back to someone else rushing on, GK and Ds try to get re-settled, but the Aris player finishes it off.

Aris 3-0.

(sorry I have no idea who anyone is on this team yet, first game I've been able to watch)