Edwin Cardona news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Pretty smart move. Those darn hillbillies have to eat too and nothing beats an empanada. They would have little to no competition regarding pricing...(my wife owns an Empanada business and while we're not in a hillbilly area, we sell them in underserved areas where empanadas aren't common...and they sell like hotcakes).

elviejomen and Doogs repped this.
  2. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They sell like empanadas

BlueDamian, Doogs and kromekote repped this.
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    haha....yes...like empanadas...just using an american reference.

Doogs repped this.
  4. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I haven't eaten an empanada for 15 years! I hate when people start talking about Colombian food. I'm a vegetarian nowadays but I could eat 10 empanadas and a bandeja paisa and wouldn't even hesitate!

I was going to apologize for getting off topic but then I remembered this was Cardonas thread.

villus repped this.
  5. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I need to understand something: so now Colombia will have to organize another 4 friendlies for him before the WC? Or can be completed also in friendlies after the WC?

6. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    we got 2 friendlies before the WC, he will miss those 2. He'll go to the WC and compete. After the WC we get 2 more friendlies and he'll miss those.

7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    wow, thats sad. I've been low key craving them for a while. I just don't feel like heading up there. Its a good 30-40 minute drive from my house. Traffic is worse now too because of the snowbirds.

Bomb8 repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    where do you live

9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think he's somewhere in europe

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    some of my female cousins that live in Colombia are too much of a princess to even cook empanadas..... ;)

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Haha my wife makes chicken ones that are awesome. My point was people are so closed minded that they think omg not Colombian no Empandas. Not Italian no Lasagna!!! It’s like um they do make cook books guys

Furnaccio repped this.
  12. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I live in Finland. There are no Colombian restaurants here.

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah difficult...maybe in sweden?

14. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised, there are more Colombians in Sweden.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A Colombian in Finland... wow. How’d you end up there? I’ve always wanted to go to Scandinavia.

16. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm half Finnish half Colombian. Been living here since I was 5.

Doogs and pibe10 repped this.
  17. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have a close penpal who lives there. Now you telling me another reason not to visit!

Bomb8 repped this.
  18. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My girfriend was there last month. She raved about some salmon and potato dish at an open air market in Helsinki. Can't remember the name of it. But she said that they were selling all kinds of salmon dishes and soup... She also brought me back some bottles of liquor. Valhalla, Salmiakki (which is like a black salty aguardiente), Mesimarja liqueur which was like sweet cough medicine, but not bad, and Jalovvina which was pretty tasty,my favorite of the bunch.

Bomb8 and pepinointer repped this.
  19. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why was your girlfriend in Finland? I didn't know the open air markets were still open, it's cold, dark and wet in november. I never liked salmon but people eat that a lot here. At least my neighbor does, it has a strong smell. Jaloviina is quite popular here. Salmiakki is actually salty liqourice, perhaps the best candy in Finland (once you get used to it). They mix it with liqour a lot nowadays, a bit weird combination but gets you drunk nevertheless.

20. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As a tourist. Her sister got divorced a couple of years ago now she wants to travel to "make up for lost time" (she married too young) so she invited my gf to go. And all I get is a bunch of booze and a cool t-shirt. November last year they went to Reykjavik. Let me tell you, Icelandic booze sucks. They got these liquors flavored with birch, including vodka. With birch! It's like drinking floor cleaner. I still have a bottle of birch vodka that I refuse to open. But all the Finnish stuff is gone :(
    Anyway, she said that it wasn't that cold, she didn't even need her hat or scarf during the day. And that kaupatori/market is apparently open all year round. She said that she would've prefer to have gone in December because apparently it turns into a Christmas market. We love salmon, so she was pretty happy with that. Do you live in Helsinki?
    Salmiakki wasn't my favorite of the lot, but it was interesting being salty. So is just a licorice candy that they decided to make into a liquor. I can imagine the guayabo with that being similar to aguardiente, with the smell of licorice or anise lingering. I tried to find Jaloviina here, but not even Bevmo carries it.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

we make a Vegan empanada...amazingly delicious and provide them with our own version of Aji :) .... we don't ship frozen for a bunch of reasons, otherwise I would send some to you.

Bomb8 repped this.
  22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    that's not a bad deal :p

and I'll add Colombian Aguardiente isn't all the great imo

BlueDamian repped this.
  23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When I was in Barranquilla everyone was drinking Old Parr.... that shit was gross

24. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, it's not such bad deal. At least I get to try different kinds of booze.

Aguardiete is OK, but not a favorite. I used to love it as a teenager. Then when I was about 20 I got so drunk on it and as a result I got the worst hangover that I've ever had. Every fluid and emanation that came out of my body the next day had that stench of anise. Ever since then I take it in small portions and only once in while. I have a half empty bottle Nectar that's been sitting in my cabinet for about 4 years.

Doogs, kromekote and Baal88 repped this.
  25. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Old Parr gross? That's pretty good stuff. You don't like Scotch? I did read somewhere that Colombia is one of the largest markets for Old Parr. I thought that was interesting.