Edgar Castillo called to the Mexican NT

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by El Kapitan, Aug 17, 2007.

1. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Today Hugo Sanchez, coach of the Mexican NT, announced the list of players he's calling to play against Colombia this coming August 22, one of the surprises was that most of the players in that list are U-23 the squad has an average age of 21.7 years, this as a part of Sanchez plan to begin the preparatory process of the Pre-Olympic Mexican squad, a team that he'll be coaching.

But perhaps the biggest surprise on the list today was the name of the Mexican-american Edgar Castillo, a native of Las Cruces, New Mexico and a player of the Mexican first divsion team Santos Laguna. I'm not sure if he's the first Yank ever to be called to the Mexican senior side, but if it isn't I'm pretty sure that he's a part of a very short list, I don't recall any other Yank playing for the Mexican senior side, so he might very well be the first one to do so.

2. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    How is he eligible to play for Mexico?

3. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    This is bull......if he lives in the USA he should play for the USA.

I hate how Mexico is gunna start to steal a large population of players north of the rio grande.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just a matter of time.
    The day will come when 4 or 5 Mexican National Team players will have been born in the US.
    I envision a similar scenario as the Germany-Turkey relationship.

I've decided not to be mad about it. It's taken awhile, but its just the way it is.

5. marcelormx

marcelormx Member

Jul 28, 2005
    haha. Is the way most US people treat the mexican-american that makes them do this. Any way if your father was from another country, you will probably go for that one (and more if you are from mexico)

6. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the situation isn't as bad as in Australia, where Australian-born and raised ethnic Croatians get trained in national, government-subsizied sport academies then bolt for Croatia.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There is absolutely nothing the USSF can do about it, in a similar way that they can do nothing about Rossi playing for Italy. It's just the way it works. Or for that matter, what can Ghana do about us calling up Adu? He was born there after all. If the kid can qualify for Mexico, and they call him up, then that's fine. Sucks, but nothing wrong here. If they call these kids up just so they get a cap and are ineligible for the US, then that's a little below the belt. But frankly, if they end up not being good enough for Mexico then they won't be good enough for the US.

8. mtizzle

mtizzle Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Conshohocken
    How do you think Germany feels about the Altintop boys playing for Turkey? It's just the way it is when you talk about family ancestry. For all we know, Castillo may have grown up in an area where it was all Mexico all the time, right here in the U.S. of A.

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He got it real bad in Las Cruces, particularly from the three mexican american city council members and the mexican american police chief.:rolleyes:

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    c/s

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yep, guess he got tired of the Man keepin' him down.

12. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Too bad but good for Castillo.

He often gets forgotten on this board. I noticed he went the whole game last week in Toluca as Santos got the upset win. The game was on either Univision or Telefutura but there was no thread about it (I didn't watch it either).

And the USMNT needs left backs in the player pool. He'll still be eligible for the USMNT until he actually plays for El Tri but this is definitely a good indicator of which country he'd be likely to pick.

Castillo's bio page on MedioTiempo's website indicates he's naturalized Mexican born in the US. No idea if it's accurate but here it is:

http://www.mediotiempo.com/jugadores/jugador.php?idj=10652&idt=108

There's huge numbers of people with dual Mex-US citizenship so his case cannot be unique (actually you can add just about any other country that has sent immigrants to the US, too). Can't remember the name but there was a relatively prominent Mexican League player in the late 90s who was born in Silver Spring, MD.

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just going to be another weapon in the arsenal to use against el Tri fans-- now they need Americans to try to beat us.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Is Castillo better than Heath Pearce of Bornstein. I don't know I've never seen him.

People need to get over this. Padilla, Levya, Guardamma (or however you spell his name),Castillo, etc. etc. etc, are just the start of a wave. There are just going to be a whole bunch of kids who've grown up in the US who'll end up wanting to play for Mexico (or insert Italy, Argentina, etc.). Every one of their relatives is a die-hard El-Tri fan, they've been taught since the day they were born to root for El Tri (and despise the USMNT). And frankly, if that's what they want then that's fine. Good luck.

Maybe Castillo thinks he'll have fun sitting on the bench behind Salcido (who's truly class) for the rest of his life.

15. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Considering the ferocity of the rivalry between the USA and Mexico and how proudly many Mexican-Americans support El Tri, I'll be happy as a USA fan if we manage to persuade 1/3 of the young players such as Castillo and Levya to choose the Red, White and Blue. I don't think we even manage that yet; most seem to be willing to play for the USA only if Mexico turns them down.

16. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree
    I got two words for you Arturo Alvarez.Keep chasing el norte if a us kid with central or south amrican parents is just as good a with mexican parents.

17. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    I don't want Mexican-Americans for how they play; I don't think they're a unique need for our team. I just don't want to leave a potential source of talent untapped.

18. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ..its all about the LOVE FOR THE FLAGGG n ur roots.....some people are so dumb...its not a matter of Where they are born....its a matter where the PLAYER wants to play.where their heart is at.Geez.........WHY WOULD U EVEN Want a player to play for the U.S.A. if they internally would rather play with mexico??....plus where u are born does not indentify where u are from....his blood is from mexico....I WOuld be ashamed if there was a mexican player on my team..that didn't feel the love for the FLAGGGGGG....Plus im sure he rather play for mexico, plus im sure its better for him to play for mexico, he will have better chances to play in europe and have BEtter accomplisments

19. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I love the fact that the great and proud nation of Mexico whose soccer culture and history are so amazing and incredible....that they have to turn to the lowly US of A for players to persuade some of ours to join them.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Just like Carlos Bocanegra did.

21. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree
    Theres alot of other imigrant sons other than mexicans who have the passion for soccer and are also a potential source of talent untapped not just mexicans.Most of these kids will choose usa. Hispanics and euros

22. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    yeah, let's count the posts when you were calling for Edgar Castillo's call up, or even about his potential. you don't care, don't front.

23. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    No way, bud. It would be more like a bunch of players born and raised in Germany who decided to play for Holland or England.

The fact that Mexico is our most heated rival changes the dynamic considerably.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure a bunch of players born and raised in Germany by English parents who taught them from the day they were born to love the English National Team (and to despise the German national team). There's no difference.

I don't know why people get their panties in a twist about this.
    How many times has a player born and raised in the US, gotten caps for the full national team of another country?

Please let's start with, um.................

(Don't say Rossi, because he hasn't been capped by Italy yet. Maybe someday, but not yet).

I'm still waiting............

Somebody save me, there must be several for people to panic about this scenario every time it presents itself. Ramon Nunez maybe? Actually he was born in Honduras and moved here with his family in the early 90s. Chris Gbandi? No he was actually born in Liberia. Any Canadians (Will Johnson? No he was actually born in the UK and moved to Illinois when he was 10) Wait I'll think of some more...

Wait I thought of one!! Craig Zaidie plays for Jamaica but was born in Florida!! Of course I believe he's actually retired now after an undistinguished career. Hum.

Wait, I'm sure there are some world class players for everybody to be in a panic.

Get it? Ease off the ledge

25. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    It is the case of "if you can't beat them, join them".

The Mexican fed is getting pretty desperate nowaday.