Eddie Johnson, MLS 'modern day slavery, man'

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  2. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Please expand on this.

3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    there is nothing unlawful about the sum deal its just another crazy internet thing people like to say despite not knowing anything about the deal or the laws that apply.

4. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    mls has violated zero labor laws and the sum deal doesn't break any laws saying stuff like this makes people think you know something they don't. you should really just stick to the facts.

at the end of the day everyone gets paid what they are worth. the guy with the most goals doesn't always get paid the most and pay isn't based only on performance.

I like eddie but he missed the point on a lot of what he said. people are letting their dislike of morris cloud the facts.

5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post, but it is in the end the ersatz "market value worth" and not worth [as in quality of play] which sets these salaries. My house may have been built by the best craftsmen and construction crews of the age of Art Deco, but if it is set in Detroit tough luck on me and my $40,000 "worth" of house. My house may be a cockroach infested piece of crap shack hanging on the edge of San Fran, and lo and behold it is "worth" $2.5 million.
    Much of the argumentation on BS comes from having different senses of what is meant by a word, without the thought occurring to each other to take the time to be clear on that meaning.

USA-Zebuel repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hmm, lightning hot analysis brother! You really found that murky legal area where MLS influence on association affairs could lead to improper 'labor' selection. Or just the single MLS market 'potential' violation of 'labor' movement.

The guy who probably needs to sue USSF and MLS is...Tab Ramos step on up you dour basque cabinboy.

Ramos could claim that MLS SUM influence on USSF affairs - this would be the easiest to prove in court, incidentally, which is why I think SUM brings the house of cards down - directly influenced the coaching selection. He could also wrap USSF into the same lawsuit and claim they have been coerced into making pro-MLS moves.

I'm no lawyer, lord knows I've been sued enough, but much of this case would be made in discovery when all of Garbers dirty laundry hits the light of day, assuming it hasn't been shredded.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    #7 a_new_fan, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    well good switch so quickly

went from...
    "From everything I can see, MLS has overstepped itself on a number of labor laws. The SUM deal might very well be their downfall if anyone decides to challenge it in court."

to...
    I am no lawyer

my point is that you are saying and implying things with no evidence. there is no evidence of illegal labor practices and you are now admitting that you don't even know what the laws are or if they've been broken. the only person that may have broken the law is you. You purposely stated that sum/garber have broken the law despite knowing full well that you don't know or understand the laws with the hope to damage both parties reputation.

tab has no reason to sue anyone he was offered the interim job and turned it down. garber is on the bod and sum is the marketing partner for ussf both have every right to voice their opinion and votes for what they feel is best for themselves.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Oh, it's legitimate. Whew. Thanks. I was afraid that section was not a legitimate conflict of interests, but since it is legitimate, then, no worries.

Commish also on the board of directors? The legitimate board of directors? Again, clearly a legitimate position. I see absolutely no conflict of interest.

Especially if I'm not a coach in MLS. Or a player not in MLS. I see absolutely zero conflict of interest. Also, If I have duel citizenship with Mexico and all of a sudden I get no calls because the legitimate marketing arm of the USSF sees no profit in marketing mexican players to the MLS when La Liga MX would make most of the profit.

I am not a lawyer because who the f*ch wants to be a lawyer? Who wants to be bogged down in proving the obvious?

The freedom of movement in MLS has been an issue for a while and has been sidestepped by the single owner system, but that too will change. Probably in California. Those pesky earthquakes will finally do something useful. The argument that will be made is, IF I AM OWNED BY ONLY ONE SLAVE OWNER, EVEN IF THAT SLAVE OWNER HAS 28 HEADS, AM I NOT STILL A SLAVE?

So argue, blah blah, I'm used to always being stupid until I'm proven right, but by then, meh. I usually don't care if there is no direct profit.

9. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I think you've lost the plot a little.

you started with these labor law violations I mean we are talking huge fines in the hundreds of millions of dollars and a number of prison terms...now its conflict of interest in voting lol.

who wants to be bogged down proving the obvioius? highly educated people thats who and you said you are sued all the time so you obviously have a tight connection to lawyers so they can't be that bad.

sum makes a lot of money from the mex national team playing in the us so any conspiracy against mex players is made up.

player movement has been an issue...they literally changed it in the last cba and it changes every cba.

no you are not a slave because you are in ur chosen field of employment a slave is someone that was illegal taken and forced to work against their will. all mls players are at will employees and can leave at any point meaning they are not slaves.

nothing you said has been correct.

it started with these labor law violations and the house of cards that is garber/sum and the dirty laundry...you have given zero evidence that any of that exists. when I called you out you changed it to voting conflict of interest which doesn't exist in this case because garber is the commish of mls and is on the board for that reason he is expect to vote as the representative of the pro group so there is no conflict of interest. then you went to slavery...which doesn't apply because no mls player is a slave and mls is not a version of 'modern day slavery' and just because eddie johnson doesn't believe he made enough as a player doesn't make it slavery and his use of the word is offensive and unjust and it really causes what could've been a valid point to be nonsense.

10. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Oh man, ok. Conflict of interest leads to clear labor law violations.

Zero evidence that there is a clear conflict of interest between MLS, a for profit entity and USSF, an association/federation dedicated to the preservation and representation of US players and teams? Profit vs. Players. That seems to be as obvious a separation as Church vs. State. If the player provides more profits, he is valuable, if he does not, then he is not. Except USSF is not in the business of making profits for MLS no more than MLS is in the business of winning the world cup....Except USSF is now in the business of earning profits for MLS. That much is clear. So not only is there an apparent conflict of interest, there is an inherent conflict of interest. That will take $10mm to prove in court maybe more.

Really? Zero conflict of interests? It doesn't pass the eyeball test. It is without a doubt, I mean clearly a conflict of interest. The question is whether it is illegal. And that is where labor law violations can be pressed at the coaching and player level. Absolutely. There is no doubt that case is winnable. None.

As to the MLS entity, I would say that any verdict against SUM opens up another avenue into the illegal labor practices found under MLS. By my understanding the verdict passed in 2002 was mostly because MLS was struggling and the courts took 'pity' on the league.

That sentiment has probably lost momentum. The verdict in the Fraser case laid the ground work for a further anti-trust lawsuit. But like I said, you've got to have the $$ interest and the time. Maybe Donovan will take it up.

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    so what is the labor law violation?

what laws have been broken because of the conflict of interest?

yes the courts throw out the law and take 'pity' on people instead lol they saw the league violating labor laws all over the place and said...'nah were ok with it the league is struggling so continue to break the law'. do you have the finding for that I would love to read it.

you already said your understanding is that you aren't a lawyer meaning you don't understand how it works. again you are doing this silly 'oh and that will turn over more labor law violations'....you've yet to come up with one.

a winning lawsuit would net 100 of millions of dollars for players why wouldn't anyone do that? its literally AG's and lawyers job to do it so time/money isn't an excuse because there is no case.

you also don't know what conflict of interest means. a person is allowed to vote for their best interests it doesn't make it an illegal conflict of interest that results in a labor law violation. the two are entirely separate ideas.

so i'll ask again...name five labor law violations the league is committing right now. what would your top five be and don't say you don't know because you said they are happening so if they are happening you must know what they are.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I have to think the Morris deal is something like $250K, $250K, $250K, and then two club only options for $1 MM and $3.25 MM.

Anything more really doesn't make sense.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I re-read the statement, and you're probably right. I don't know if EJ read it closely, but if the deal was for 1M/yr in guaranteed money for three years, I would say the same thing. The guy ain't worth that kind of money, especially coming off a knee injury. 250k sounds about right, and would actually be a steal if he comes back to a pre-injury level and they choose not to pick up the later options. I feel bad for the guy, especially with his heart ailment that derailed what would have been a pretty high paying portion of his career.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    There is a clear connection from the Knights Templar -> Free Masons -> SUM
    I heard Garber has even made a few trips to the Bohemian Grove.

15. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    By saying too much in those tweets, EJ came off as a disgruntled and jealous former player.

He could have tweeted something like this, and just left it there.

"NO WC experience, NO Euro experience, torn ACL, and $1M a year. SMH"

TOAzer and xbhaskarx repped this.
  16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1072556348573999105 is not a valid tweet id

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know, EJ, I'm pretty sure a slave would've been happy to make $150 grand. Or, like, any money at all.

It's a bummer, but he came back to MLS hat-in-hand. Same thing happened to LD who was embarrassingly underpaid for years even while carrying MLS on his back in his hometown.

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, EJ just isn't very articulate.

:ninja:

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    $250K is an average salary for a back up CB. You seriously think that a starting striker should make the same? No way it's less than $700K.

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The deal is, "very club friendly" in the early years and loaded with incentives. There is no logical reason for Seattle to pay a player, coming off a major injury, who didn't produce much the year before being injured, and is not particularly young, and has no European interest, what they would pay an actual healthy, producing MLS striker.

$250K might be low, but I doubt it. Half of your $700K in the early years is possible. I would think $250K and then bonuses for goals and games. For Morris, if he can get back and get them to want to exercise the last years of the contract, then he really cashes in.

Seattle had him under contract, there was no rush to do it from their end. Why would anyone, much less Lagerway, do this deal for the terms you are describing?

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Let's wait for numbers. I'm pretty sure it's something like $700K x 3 + $1.5M x 2. Anything less he will demand the trade. Half of the league will be happy to pay him $700K.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What team will be dumb enough to pay Morris 700K per year?

Well other than the Fire.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He should have been just passive-aggressive about the whole thing. Being passive-aggressive is how the civilized man shows anger.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    JMo got paid about 75k per goal in 2017 (225K total). So if he scores 10, that makes for the 700K.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd take him on our Fire.