Ecuador v Colombia ( Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by crzdcolombian, Mar 23, 2017.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    New coach hopefully but not likely

-----------------OSpina------------------
    Arias-------Mina--------Zapata------Armero
    ----------Abel------------Cardona--------
    CUadrado--------James----------Muriel
    -------------------Zapata------------------

We need those 3 points.... grow some balls Pekerman and attack

2. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #2 Baal88, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Muriel is the first casualty from Bolivia's game. Hopefully there are no more injuries, we are barely creating chances and if we keep losing our most tricky players "we're gonna get raped"... Like crzd says.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I just want to say that after every crap game I ask for Pekermans head and 90% of you guys attack me for the next 3-4 days on this forum. Today....... you are finally looking at our team without beer googles on.

4 games is not too late. To start a new process. The team just isn't clicking. I want a win and don't care how we get it but if we get 3 points because Cardona, James or Cuadrado pull some bullshit out of their ass to get the 3 points that shouldn't save Pekermans Job

4. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Crzd, give me a list of 3 coaches that could take this team tomorrow and make us win against Ecuador.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rueda, Bielsa, Osorio, Alexis Mendoza

They'd at least attack

Pekerman said he might call more guys. Muriel is out and Borja might not make it

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What this team needs is the calm and confidence you get from finishing. No coach gives you that and if anything Pekerman has been good when it comes to the emotional side of the game with us historically.

Right now the stress is so high because we've been so inefficient in front of goal. Whoever is healthy enough to start in Ecuador up front, itd be great to bury one early.

Azucarero repped this.
  7. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Keys to win at Ecuador

1. Start duvan ahead of bacca. If you told me bacca was on the field today, I would have doubted it. In limited minutes duvan made more of an impression than bacca. I feel like bacca has been given enough chances and he has dropped the ball. I said at outset of copa America 2016 that he needed to wake up and he has yet to do so 9+ months later. To Bacca or his agent (if reading this)....Please prove me wrong and put one in goal against Ecuador if playing on tuesday, but I'm ready to have him give back the #7 shirt to armero.

2. Players need to move into open space. The few times we did pass into open space, no one was there to receive the pass. Look at how Paulinho scored for Brasil today when Neymar fed him the ball.

3. Less long balls and less chip passes. It's lazy, desperate and cheeky. Mac20 was relying on chip passes far too often. Does that really work for him in copa libertadores and the Colombian league?

4. Cardona to start. Albeit he is slow. He fights for position and posession and he is not afraid to take a shot outside the 18. He's a different kind of game changer

5. Cuadrado to up the gear. If Muriel is out, it will be up to him to be the guy that plays the role of the work horse. Ecuador will come at him with lots of pressure so he is going to have to play smart and work the ball off his teammates. Keep the one on ones to a minimum and move the ball via calculated passing.

6. James to relax. This isn't Real Madrid. You will play the entire 90 and you are the leader.

7. Be ready to play defense. Bolivia bunkered all game and didn't even bother to counter. Essentially a day off for Ospina and the back line defensively. I can't imagine Uribe starting again but whoever is in that holding midfield role be ready to work bc Ecuador will be looking to attack and press. Same for armero - today he attacked all game. Tuesday will be a different kind of game.

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That is Mac's game. Sometimes, often when playing at home, it works. On an off day, it's ineffective and unfortunately it's not the highest probability weapon.

I havent seen Duvan play a lot of late... hope he delivers.

9. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Si por acá llueve por allá no espampa, Ecuador está bajo presion y va a salir con todo el martes. Eso debe ser aprovechado por Colombia.

Sigo viendo un 4-1-4-1 de Pekerman.
    La ventaja es que esta vez por la misma necesidad del rival el juego será más abierto y eso nos conviene más. De todas maneras habrá que tener más precensia fisica en el campo. No veo y no deberia jugar Macnelly de titular, tampoco a Duvan y no porque no se haya visto bien, sino que seria echarlo a la candela si las cosas no van funcionando.

kromekote repped this.
  10. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol crzd we can't switch coaches with 4 games left. Too late.

This is the defining game for us. The world cup is decided by what we do Tuesday.

11. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Ecuador game is critical - i agree 100%

Just to keep things in perspective:

Mexico:
    On 18 October 2013, Miguel Herrera was appointed interim head coach of the Mexico, replacing Víctor Manuel Vucetich to become the fourth national team coach within the span of a month (Source: Wikipedia, NY Times); this was less than one year before the 2014 World Cup

Brazil:
    After the 1998 world cup, Brazil went through 3 managers before hiring Scolari in June 2001. In June 2001, Scolari was appointed manager of his native Brazil, who with five matches remaining were in danger of not qualifying for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Despite losing his first match 1–0 to Uruguay, Scolari eventually guided the team to qualification. (Source: Wikipedia)
    I think we all remember how Scolari's Brazil did in 2002 ;)

12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017
    Estadio Olímpico Atahualpa, Quito
    Live: 5 PM EST: beIN Sports USA; fuboTV; beIN Sports Connect USA
    Repeat (3/29/17): 3 AM EST: beIN Sports USA; fuboTV; beIN Sports Connect USA
    Repeat (3/29/17): 4:30 AM EST: TyC Sports Internacional USA
    Repeat (3/29/17): 6:30 AM EST: beIN SPORTS en Español; beIN Sports Connect USA

ryu79 repped this.
  13. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well., The difference is that in one hand they play in the concacrap, where Mexico is the best team, and on the other you have the country that has produced some of the best players in the history of the game and one of its strongest generations (Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Rivaldo to name a few)... We have nowhere near the depth of Brazil nor do we face the shit teams that Mexico does.

I don't think there is a single coach that can fix this, because in my opinion coaching is not the main problem.

kromekote and Cruzifero repped this.
  14. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #14 Furnaccio, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Mexico: Brink of not qualifying for 2014 and had to play in a playoff against New Zealnd in order to qualify....they completely underachieved which is quite comparable to our current situation...
    1. 2015 CA (1 goal in 4 games)
    2. 2016 CA (7 goals in 6 games)
    3. 2018 WCQ (16 goals in 13 games with +1 GD) - i will put in perspective and that say that Argentina has one less goal through yesterday.

Brazil: I agree they had all that talent and they couldn't put it together until Scolari came on the scene. Similar to Falcao who has been non-existent 2014-today for Colombia; Brazil was missing Ronaldo b/c of injuries; but even without R9, they couldn't pull it together despite having the 1999 world player of the year in Rivaldo and rising star in Ronaldino (keep in mind, this was pre-Barca) and other stars that you mentioned

Sure we are not as deep as the final squad that won the 2002 world cup, but we have a roster of players that are proven winners and scorers that underperform the NT - at what point do we have to admit the blame falls on Pekerman?

1. Bacca - For Milan and Sevilla he has been a proven scorer at all levels of competition in Europe, yet for Colombia, he has turned into a huge disappointment; if Macnelly is known as "pecho frio" Bacca should be called "pie frio"

2. Jackson - Pekerman never found a way to utilize him to his strengths when he was a proven scorer in Europe at Porto....this one is a tough situation to analyze - lot of moving parts

3. Cuadrado - he was Pekerman's workhorse and hidden gem for 2014 WCQ campaign, but since the World Cup, he has not been able to match his form at Juventus

4. Muriel - has yet to play a full 90 under Pekerman - look it up....something seems awry here...does he have fitness issues? he has played several full games at Sampdoria

5. James - should he continue to be in a central attacking role? maybe he can be more effective similar to when we were using the 4-2-2-2 formation in the 2014 WCQ campaign...

6. Cardona - Pekerman has not been consistent with him enough in terms of playing time. i like what he brings to the table - shot taking from distance, always fighting for posession and position, always trying to find ways to create something i know he lacks pace, but if we stick with Armero in a LWB role, that may help Cardona play in a more central role.

7. Mac20 - maybe i never paid too much attention to him, but all he did against ecuador was cheeky chip passes and had an occasional brilliant pass. the whole plays well in Baranquilla and "pecho frio" for away games is so annoying. the guy is a proven winner for Atletico Nacional and they play plenty of games outside of Colombia....is it on pekerman or mac20?

I will say that Pekerman did great in utilizing Teo when most thought he was done for Colombia and i will give him props for maximizing Ibarbo prior to the 2014 world cup when Falcao went down....but it has gotten to the point where we have several players who under perform and the players who are supposed to put in goals, simply are not doing it. At some point players just don't respond to the manager - i see that far too often b/c i support Arsenal LOL....

i don't want to say that Pekerman's time is up, but the string of results and lack of offensive output since 2014 has not helped his cause

to @crzdcolombian 's point, i don't think it will hurt if the FCF engage in preliminary discussions as a proactive measure to see which potential managers are available and get feedback as to what they would adjust with the team.

prior to Pekerman, many of us would be critical about player selection. the past few years, we have been more critical about the style of play and that usually falls on the manager. just something to think about...

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    No it wouldnt hurt the FCF but it would hurt the CURRENT Team and the staff (Coaches). That would be completely undermining this team. I am absolutely certain that this will be Pekerman's last cycle with this team. Let him finish out what he started.

Cruzifero and Azucarero repped this.
  16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why let him finish what he has done for past 3 years is awful. So let him fail. A company is doing badly they fire the CEO or hire new employees they don't let the thing go bankrupt

17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Only we aren't going bankrupt - we are right where we should be in the standings, despite awful luck with player form and health.

Those things matter and I get the bilirubin rises quickly on the forum after a match like yesterday's, but the truth is that good coaches and teams eek out wins when things dont go their way. Under prior coaches we would have lost yesterday when Muriel got hurt and the opposition parked the bus.

I want to see Aguilar start in midfield on Tuesday to give us some holding play - they will be desperate and we need to have the calm to play with that.

Azucarero repped this.
  18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #18 Furnaccio, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    i respectfully disagree, it's called lighting a fire under someone's @$$ - the staff are professionals and grown adults and we are at a point where an established track record is evident.

Let me restate our post 2014 world cup performances:
    2015 Copa America: 1 goal in 4 games
    2016 Copa America: 7 goals in 6 games (1 goal in 3 post-group stage games)
    2018 WCQs: 16 goals in 13 matches (+1 goal difference)

i'm willing to say that we all can agree that there has been a proven track record of underachieving by the NT. unfortunately, when the players don't respond, a change at the management level usually follows.

look at Brazil - the players were not responding under Dunga and he was let go after the copa america 2016; since then Brazil has now taken over the WCQ standings and have pretty much cemented their ticket to Russia. Dunga was an excellent manager for Brazil 2006-2010, but there came a point where the players did not respond to him the same way as the past.

Yes, there have been many instances of player rotation due to lack of match fitness/form at the club level; but several of the key players who i listed earlier simply have not been able create or score goals. 75% possession with only 7 shots on target against Bolivia at home is a huge red flag....

we have far too much goal generating/scoring talent on our depth chart where 24 goals in 23 official games is not acceptable...

look if we win 1-0 against Ecuador, i'll be happy as a pig in $#it; but i will continue to be concerned about our chances as we get closer to Russia. What will Pekerman have in store against higher quality teams?

19. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006
    If the poor play and under par results post WC 2014 can't be pinned on the manager than it has to be pinned on the players. If its pinned on the players its either due to a lack of motivation or proper instructions, strategy etc. That indicates a problem at the player management level, and guess who that is? Pekerman. I would love for him to shut me up and everyone else, but just like Bacca, hes had roughly 2.5 years to get our team sorted and instead its been nothing but more of the same. There needs to be a change. Only thing I can see otherwise, is somehow getting a win in Quito and rallying behind that win to kickstart what remains of our campaign.

crzdcolombian and Furnaccio repped this.
  20. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This game will be a final, both squads are competing for 4th place.

One things is certain, Macnelly should not play in this match.

------------------Ospina------------------
    Cuadrado---Mina--Zapata---Armero
    -----------Uribe-------Sanchez----------
    -----------------Cardona-----------------
    ------------------James------------------
    -----------Duvan-----Bacca----------

21. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Can no one else play in Uribe spot? That kid doesn't convince me the slightest bit..

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    One "lights a fire" into a manager that has relatively low success. Someone that needs motivation. Maybe some young 20 something bloke needs motivation but Jose has had a very successful career and has little to prove on that front. Pekerman has a long resume full of some great accomplishments. He'll be 68 this year which means that his next phase of success likely has to do with prioritizing his health and family .

Look, we have a problem. I get it. But even this lousy Colombia still has their fate in their hands. Its not like we're in 8th place here. We're in a direct spot. It's going to get ugly before it gets pretty. Personally, James is a big reason why the team is just not moving. Trying to do more with the ball than he needs to and along with a lacking supported MF that look lazy at times.

23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    This was a horrid showing for the kid. But he's very talented. I would imagine Abel MUST play next match. We need his experience vs Ecuador.

24. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Really enjoy hearing everyone's POV about the NT. I think we all agree there are some serious underlying problems. And we are all assessing it from different angles.

The best we can do is fight for 3 points on Tuesday and really evaluate what lies ahead for us after the game.

Unlike several other NTs, we do not have an issue of calling up certain players. We are just a few tweaks away from getting to that next level!

25. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Ese equipo me gusta, sin duda. La pregunta es si es pertinente salir tan ofensivo frente a un Ecuador que seguramente se nos va a venir con todo desde el primer minuto. Aunque no quisiera que "quemaran" a Duvan Zapata si las cosas no le van saliendo bien, lo arriesgaria a la titular porque se necesita un man con lomo para aguantar el balon.

------------------Ospina
    Arias-----Mina--------Zapata-------Diaz
    --------------------Sanchez
    JGC-----Cardona-----James---Armero
    ----------------------DuZa

Azucarero repped this.