Earthquake Section in Houston for Dynamo game?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by davidjd, Mar 21, 2019.

1. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm traveling from the East Coast with my son on April 13 and am going to take a long layover in Houston to see the EQ game. Is there an Earthquake away section I should know about if I want to be near them? (If not, about half the stadium is still for sale so I can pick pretty much anywhere.)

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's a Quakes fan from Houston who occasionally posts here, @rcoull, so I defer to him. You might even meet up with him and his wife, who is a Houston fan I believe.

Generally speaking, though, it's safe to sit anywhere except the home supporters section as a visiting fan in an MLS away venue. If you want to sit in the away supporters section you can do so, but I wouldn't expect a large traveling contingent from San Jose and the designated area is usually the least palatable place in the stadium. I would just pick the best seats available in your price range.

Also, you might post the fact you are visiting on the Houston board and ask for advice. Many MLS fans are welcoming to opposing fans, and not only will you be safe but you might receive extra hospitality, and at least some good tips on restaurants and the like.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any MLS venue, you should be able to contact the home team's ticket office via phone or email and ask for the away section. However, if there isn't an organized group going there, you might be the only one there, and they are probably not in the best location. Often cheap, though.

Beerking repped this.
  4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over the last two years, we attended games in New York (Red Bulls) and Colorado. Both times, my wife worked with the Quakes staff who helped get us tickets. In the case of New York, we went the VIP route and took advantage of access to their food court. It was a little weird walking in with all Red Bulls fans, but they were friendly.

As far as away fan locations, there wasn't many fans at either location. In New York, we saw less than five people wearing Quakes gear. Not many more in Colorado.

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, if you have a Quakes ticket rep, work with them to interface with the opposing team's ticket office.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Also, if you're brave enough crash a tailgate. I've done this in Toronto and Kansas City, and been warmly received on both occasions. If you bring extra libations, and/or scarves, to offer you will likely enjoy a significantly enhanced experience.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #7 don gagliardi, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Since this is a thread about Houston, a brief anecdote about the Houston Texans fans I met at O'Hare Airport in December 2015. We were boarding a plane to Buffalo and it was clear from their ten-gallon hats and JJ Watt jerseys that they, like I, were headed to the Bills/Texans game that weekend. I invited them to join the Bills tailgate my hometown friends would be having and gave them my business card and told them to text me from the stadium parking lot when they arrived so I could direct them to our tailgate.

I extend such sorts of invites a lot, but they actually took me up on it. I had to alert my friends that I had invited Houston fans I'd met in the airport (giving rise to some eyebrows), but it turned out the guests thoroughly enlivened the party. The Texans arrived with an oversized cooler on wheels full of drinks of all varieties. I said to them there is no way they got that on the plane, and they told me that they had bought it in Buffalo and we could keep the cooler after they had left. They travel to all the away games, and they like to go in style. They were a hoot. Sadly, they're not also Dynamo fans.

Earthshaker repped this.
  8. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks everyone. I guess my
    Wish I could. We're going to be tight on time on both sides of the game though. My son wants to spend 3 hours at the Space Center AND go to the game. It all fits in, and this is his spring break, so why not! (Also going to the taping of BattleBots in LA on Sunday.)

We used to live in the East Bay but moved to the East Coast (not near a team). We try to get to EQ away games if it works out. This time it did in a odd way. Airfare for us to stop in Houston for Friday night and fly out again the next day after the game was the same price as a direct flight. Not sure how we could pass it by.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good for him.

I'm weird, so when I was in Houston I visited the local history museum and the Czech Center. https://www.czechcenter.org/home-1