Earnest Stewart Dutch Management adventure

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Aug 22, 2006.

1. AZ contracteert Efmorfidis

Gepubliceerd op 28 juli 2015 , 19:20

ALKMAAR- AZ has contracted the 19 year old midfielder James Efmorfidis. The Greek youth international signed a 1 year contract with the option for the club to prolong it with another 2 seasons. Efmorfidis joins Jong AZ.
    [​IMG]

The two legs capable Efmorfidis – who also possesses the Dutch nationality- crosses over from Ajax. The creative midfielder also played in the Real Madrid and FC Barcelona youth.

Stewart: 'Interesting player'
    “James Efmorfidis is an interesting player”, manager football affairs Earnest Stewart reacts. “He is known for some time with our scouting. James is a technical very capable midfielder who has an eye for the pass through. The ideal opportunity presented itself to capture him. We offer James the opportunity to develop with Young AZ and make the step towards a debut in the “Eredivisie”.

Efmorfidis: 'Want to be decisive'
    “I am a real 10, but can play the other positions on the midfield as well”, Efmorfidis describes himself. “I love to be decisive for the team. My goal is of course to play with AZ in “de Eredivisie”.That will happen the moment my trainers Martin Haar and Denny Landzaat think I can make the step into the first eleven.”

Testudo repped this.
  2. I wonder if Earnies achievement with the AZ academy and being a Yank doesnot spur young USA talents to head for Alkmaar instead of EPL academies, in the Netherlands aka the Bermuda triangle of Dutch talents.
    Is there any interest in the US soccer world about his prize?

3. Now it seems imminent that Aron Johansson is on his way to the Bundesliga, my earlier question can be more specific. What aspiring and promising young gun do you want to take the leap across the ocean into the award winning AZ Academy to fill the vacant YA spot, popular with BS YA followers.

4. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gyasi Zardes, Jordan Morris, or BJIV

5. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Morris above all. He would light it up in the Dutch league. He would blaze by and torment those defenders, then make a big money move to Sunderland and take a dump. Can we all sign some petition that none of our promising players should ever move to S'land again?

6. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Would love to see Emerson Hyndman go to AZ, especially since AZ sold their top CM to Ajax.

Winoman repped this.
  7. oliveandblue

oliveandblue Member

Jul 7, 2015
    United States
    Club:
    DC United
    I have a lot of respect for how this club is run. I wouldn't mind seeing more Americans try to make it here. Our talent pool is taking a turn for the better, and Stewart+AZ is a huge part of it.

8. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio Rubin

9. I donot think that him changing from FC Utrecht will benefit him at all. No, my question was towards young players that would be in a far better learning position by making the move to AZ. Frankly, from a developing view the differences between the Academies is minimal.
    What does give a boost however is the fact that with the Dutch clubs you get training from former super stars of soccer and often CL winners too that can give you the tricks of the trade. At Feyenoord you have the likes of Van Bronckhorst and Roy Makaay, Ajax with De Boer, Denis Bergkamp, PSV with Cocu, van Nistelrooij to name a few. Unfortunately AZ lost Van Basten, but Aron undoubtedly profited from his experience as a super striker.

10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Zelalem and Yedlin leave the EPL and head to Holland.

It is pretty clear that young Americans simply don't develop well in England.

It really does not matter the reason why.

11. I found this about him at http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...yndman-usmnt-transfer-rumors-fulham-fc-europe

"Fulham are a great club with a rich recent history in the hearts of American soccer fans. However, the Championship is a rough and tumble league full of clubs with one main goal -- to scratch and claw their way to the Premiership. Moving to a league that focuses more on development and technique could be exactly what Hyndman needs in his career."

Well, in that case there is only one league that serves this dish well cooked I think. But Feyenoord could use a good midfielder too, and Clasie just left as a product carefully build with a tailor made approach by the Feyenoord Academy.
    Now that we are talking about what Feyenoord needs, we also need a striker. So Jordan Morris, there is a Roy Makaay ready to take you to a high level if you have what it takes.

Testudo and Winoman repped this.
  12. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love this ...

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to Morris, this is quote from about a month ago and he appear to be less committal about signing with Sea than before, when he basically said he wants to play there.

Nothing concrete or anything,” Morris said when asked of any European interest. “A little bit, here and there, talking to (U-23 U.S. coach) Andi (Herzog), but nothing that’s been fleshed out or anything like that. I’m still just considering all my options and we’ll have to see what comes out of it.”

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...e-a-player-like-mercer-islands-jordan-morris/

14. Earnest Stewart's Dutch management adventure draws to an end. He leaves AZ at the end of the year and joins the Philadelphia Union.

15. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huge coup for the Union getting a guy like Earnie. Personally I believe he should have been thought of as the best man for the Technical director gig at US Soccer, but that's another story. He must have something drawing him back to America, as I can't imagine he wouldn't have had offers or opportunities at bigger European clubs, at least bigger than AZ. Welcome back to America Earnie. Good luck in your efforts. I would love to see him succeed at the Union. More real competition across MLS is better for all involved.

panicfc repped this.
  16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/7389538/earnie-stewart-brings-moneyball-az-alkmaar

This is a quote from Earnie back in 2012 when ESPN FC did a feature article about AZ's "Moneyball" approach. Earnie had his eyes cast on making a return to the US and MLS. Good for him! I love that he's making good on his word. Earnie's going to a valuable asset not only for Philly but MLS as a whole.

(TxT) and ttrevett repped this.
  17. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully Earnie takes this platform to really do some good within US Soccer.

18. Well, Earnie felt a little bit orphaned since I left Zaandam. So the right time to go west, young man;)

panicfc repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #269 BostonRed, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018

@bungadiri -- let's move him to the YA Academy forum.

Winoman and TxEx repped this.
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leander says that he was approached about a top-level role with the KNVB:

Boysinblue repped this.
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the high school shit he’s been in the middle of with the Reyna & Berhalter, I would have taken that Dutch job and said see ya later to all the BS at USSF.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  23. Wow, this thread is almost eligable for a driving licence (over here at 18 year).

Winoman repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Congratulations to Ajax, Feyenoord, and AZ.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  25. Anyway, PSV moved faster than Feyenoord, who are also looking for replacement of their football director.

Winoman repped this.