Dynamo Dropping English-Language Radio Broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo dropping English language radio broadcasts (See below Chronicle article) - I suspect it was more Entercom (former CBS Radio) wanted the Dynamo to pay for airtime or wouldn't give them a penny. Another legacy from the "failed policies of Chris Canetti", signed a deal with a radio station group that put the games mostly on 650 which goes off at sundown or on a streaming app.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ia-Dynamo-dropping-English-radio-13635003.php

Quote from the article from David Brady (VP that was Canetti's buddy who he hired), showing he can Baghdad Bob with the best of them (look at last line in bold):

"The soccer fan is younger and enjoys having the games available through their phones and mobile devices," Brady said. "We looked at how our content was most consumed by fans, and we are adjusting to provide it. It's almost purely an adjustment for content. It wasn't about cost."

Also, Canetti's tweet below really aged well.

2. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Well for guys like you and me - we still like listening on the radio especially when they had the live after game show

Now almost all the games are televised or streaming online and consumed through cable or internet. Watching is so much better than listening to a game.

My kids almost never watch the live TV - they download episodes of stuff and watch it on their phones or go to a live stream on the web.

Having youtube as a sponsor for LAFC was forward looking by them and shows you how the Dynamo isn't even a 'close follower' in the business of MLS. The Dynamo are more like the 'reluctant capitulator / laggard adopter / avoid all increased investment as long as you can' business model.

They should at least have some call-in aftergame show that you can access on the radio. But until the team becomes a consistent winner they know that it wouldn't be good brand promotion for the club.

Losers are gonna keep losing in MLS 4.0

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, I wonder if that's why Glenn was so upset a few weeks ago.

*rey* repped this.
  4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 CeltTexan, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Our FO could just cut some deal with our local Latino TV stations, which there are several now in 2019, then call the game in spanish but havr the reveres SAP function by simulcast english call of the game. Our marketing department must be able to find buisnesses that figure Dynamo futbol on TV will pull enough Latino eyeballs and the sponsors and their businesses can receive foot traffic in return. Thus have the TV station absorb the broadcasting costs. Cive this in sponsors. Then the english simulcast doubles as the radio call play by play. Take this audio and stream it on our own website.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celt, I think you overrate the spanish-language interest in the Dynamo. These folks all watch Mexican soccer and Dynamo soccer would just get in the way (plus the ratings are a fraction of Mexican soccer)

But its beyond just appeal, its probably 90% related to cost and not "delivering the product the way the folks want it". If the thesis is that no one is going to tune into a terrestrial radio station to listen to the Dynamo and that everyone wants to stream things, the sensible thing would be to find a way to stream the TV BROADCAST of the Dynamo locally, even if it required a small subscription. But that would require the Dynamo to go back to KUBE 57 and give them some discount or giveback in order to let the blackout be lifted.

And that costs money or investment, which the Dynamo seem fine with not doing.

The Dynamo are probably one of the few MLS teams that locals can't buy or stream thru a cable subscription a locally broadcasted game. I have an Xfinity subscription, I have DirecTVNow and i have an ESPN+ subscription (which carries all MLS out of market games) - and there is no legal way to stream a game on KUBE 57 if I am not in my house.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the market exists, how about that. Latino, men talk here, will take on a "mistress" team. More so if their children grow up in the specific city as this mistress team the men can take on. So the intresest might not be quote un quote high but there is a decent target market to be had for sure.

Incorrect.
    The South Americans living in the U.S. still watch their local league, the Copa Libertadores for sure! And then La Liga in Spain. With the other Euro leagues in there as well. The Sallies and Hondurans follow their local leagues as well and where their nation's players end up abroad.

Buen futbol never gets in the way of any futbol man's appetite! Our FO just does not go long on delivering buen futbol like we used to know and watch.

This is where the rubber meets the road. Ratings can never be lower than having no broadcast in Spanish at all. That is Zero ratings.

Correct.
    A cost overhead so that in a majority Spanish or Latino language city, even some form of English language with SAP function is not on hand this season.

Sad but true.
    I would actually love to see this breakdown on league wide locals with ease of access to their MLS club's locally broadcasted games. I figure it is us with perhaps the PVC era of Columbus and even perhaps Colorado.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="CeltTexan, post: 37553379, member: 11022"

I would actually love to see this breakdown on league wide locals with ease of access to their MLS club's locally broadcasted games. I figure it is us with perhaps the PVC era of Columbus and even perhaps Colorado.[/QUOTE]

Celt - I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Hispanic market but after a dozen years if it hasn't materialized its not going to with signing oddball Colombians and hoping they watch the games.

The Dynamo are again cheap, with limited vision and ambition. The smart folks have already figured this out. Which is why they can't move the needle on attendance and ratings and everything else measurable (except snarky liberal tweets from the staff)

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A dozen years! Try 19!
    In 2000, at Butler Stadium of HISD lore no less, our city's Houston Hurricanes FC in USL play would have Danny Gonzalez go live from each home game to cover the match and do the local Saturday night sports new wrap up. This on our local Telemundo 47 station. Marinate on this, our local Latino lead sports anchor cared enough to support his city's minor league men's outdoor team that he would get a TV crew out at the home games and celebrate the team. This was in 2000! So now with our Houston Dynamo, a two time league Champion and one National Champion now, our FO cannot strike a deal to have at least some sort of Spanish language post game feed/talk. Or have this and air our Dynamo later that night or on Sunday so it is not going head to head with Liga MX or La Liga matches on Saturday day and night. KUBE re-airs our Houston matches at midnight if anyone has ever noticed this.

It really does sting a lot to hear this once again.
    I know how cheap our club is and how little vision they have, but we must make inroads to our ever growing Latino market. Spanish is THE LANGUAGE of association football in our Hemisphere. It is a must WC! [/QUOTE]

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [/QUOTE]

I appreciate your optimism but 19 years ago local TV news stations were staffed and actually covered local sports. Ever watch KHOU sports lately? Like a pop up video segment, I bet they have no more than 2 sports folks on staff.

if Latinos cared about the Dynamo, attendance in this market and TV ratings would be better. I've had this debate the last 7- 8 years and the Mexican Fan Yeti is no closer to being found in Houston. These folks aren't coming and the Dynamo are wasting energy chasing after it.

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Consisitently win and the Mexican Yetis, The Honduran Yetis, the El Salvador Yetis, Eurosnob Yetis, and Anglo Yetis will all show up leading to a full stadium.

Astros, Rockets, Dynamo doesn't make any difference, nobody wants to throw their money away on the disappointment of poor entertainment

*rey* repped this.
  11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    consistently Win and push for championships and you will start to get airtime on TV as well

People would pack even a crappy stadium like the old Robertson if they would just show a higher level of consistent competitiveness

Dynam0 and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  12. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    to be competitive they will need the right players and coach

the jury is still out on Cabrera but the scenery of players really hasn't changed

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with the first part of the statement Ace, I will say that association football, like baseball, is such an old game that when it became professional, it was not "entertainment". It was, and still is at its core, an outlet for the working man and middle class man. To go meet up at your second house with your buddies and as well to take your sons or daughters to a sporting event to get them their indoctrination to the sport.
    Now, in our post modern era of pro soccer, sure, the going to the game is now sold as entertainment across the board. Thus there are Dynamo fans that when asked where the team sits in the points table, they have no clue.
    With this said, I go to movies and concerts to be entertained Ace.
    As an old player and coach of the beautiful game, I deeply value the sport as is. To me Dynamo games are my escape from the daily grind. There are many men from all over in our diverse city that played the sport in their youth, have been going to games for decades and know what I speak of. More so if they have a son or daughter that has any ambition of playing professionals soccer one day, they ought to be out at BBVA just for the very reason to see what it takes to play these days for their local team. Perhaps not be season ticket holders in this manner, but this is how a pro soccer club fills seats outside the STH block. Find the parents and working me that know a night out at the soccer match will deliver them something beyond entertainment.
    I will always rely on one truth about the beautiful game played in front of some sort of solid home ground atmosphere, the sport sells itself. Houstonians need to remind themselves imho what life was like when there was no MLS or USL team in town. But this is another topic to discuss on another thread.

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they even stream the TV audio on the Dynamo website? I never bothered to look, I was out for part of the game and confirmed that the ESPN+ stream was blacked out.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know, I was at the game.
    I sure hope they found a way to stream at least the audio! The way Glenn calls a game, it will work.

16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the Dynamo audio stream the game yesterday? It's like if they don't have a TV broadcast they won't bother to pay the $500 to do a radio broadcast and stream it. How hard is this? Do so few people care they don't even notice there is no audio broadcast of a home game?

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shrugs.