Dynamo 2018 Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 23, 2018.

1. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I was able to watch most of the game.

1st half Portland 1st team was playing 2/3 of our bench. It showed.

Fuenmayor no bueno esta dia. We shall see. Ward as well. both were a step slow got physically pushed around and coughed up the ball that directly led to shots on our goal.

the young goalie was very busy snd stopped quite a few shots. keep an eye on him.

Memo snd Alvarez look better than #10 Martinez, who lost the ball alot.

Portland was the moredangerous team and had a better defense.

preseason, so we need to see more games

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The second preseason game in Tucson:

Saturday, February 17
    Houston vs. NY Red Bulls 7:15 pm CST HoustonDynamo.com/live

The Dynamo are now 2-0-1 on the preseason after the draw against Portland.

The NY Red Bulls drew Kansas City, 1-1, on February 14 in Tucson. As far as I can tell they are 3-1-1 in preseason.

The Dynamo stay in Tucson to play Phoenix Rising (USL) on Wednesday, February 21.

The Mobile Mini Sun Cup standings (after games of 2/14/18)

1. RSL 2 g.p. 4 pts +2
    2. NYR 2 g.p. 4 pts +1
    3. COR 1 g.p. 3 pts +2
    4. SEA 1 g.p. 3 pts +1
    5. NER 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    6. FCD 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    7. SJE 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    8. HOU 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    9. SKC 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    10. POR 2 g.p. 1 pts -1

11. SAN 0 g.p. 0 pts +0
    12. LAG 1 g.p. 0 pts -2
    13. PHR 2 g.p. 0 pts -3

I believe the team BOLDED are eligible for the final round on February 24.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Fyi the youtube link for Hou-Portland remains good, ie, if you want to watch the game it's saved

I've been watching the Olympics but I'll get around to it soon enough out of curiosity.

Based on the lineups and subs, second half was the starters, give or take Quioto:

Seitz
    Garcia Machado Senderos Beasley
    Alexander Cabezas Garcia
    Elis Manotas Wenger

subs first half:
    Nelson
    Malki Fuenmayor Leonardo Remick
    Ward Ceren Martinez
    Alvarez Steeves Memo

Some would question whether certain first half players really are subs, and anything is possible, but be honest with yourself about what the level of quality looks like on the bulk of that unit, and what it might suggest about more "name" of players run out with that unit.

I assume Willis sits because he's been wheeling and dealing, but it is interesting it's Nelson and not McLain. To me on the highlights McLain looked like a much better keeper, and Nelson more like someone you ship down to RGV and see what happens. Perhaps that's a $ decision.

My thoughts on Beasley/Remick are already out there but for a team that was already giving up goals I really don't like Garcia wide.

Does this mean Martinez is annoying Cabrera, or did he just not start all the starters for some reason.

Steeves continues to be the designated lunk off the bench, which I think guarantees him on the roster.

Interestingly looks like we will continue with a scrappy midfield, Ward and Ceren off the bench, and the more technical Alvarez and Memo may be used as forward subs along with Boniek. Or at least we're playing with that scenario.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Watched the first half of the HOU-POR game, will watch starters another game. Alvarez was the offense and Nelson had to make a lot of saves. The second team defense looked poor.

Fuenmayor didn't seem particularly responsible for the problems, I'd blame the rest. He looked aggressive but didn't stick out to me. Leonardo was getting beat and I might take the first/second division as quality-based between him and Machado/Senderos.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Red Bulls 0-5 Dynamo, final

Scoring:
    HOU: Boniek García 30'
    HOU: Andrew Wenger 40'
    HOU: Mauro Manotas (Alberth Elis) 55'
    HOU: Mac Steeves (Eric Bird) 77'
    HOU: Mac Steeves (Eric Bird) 83'

Starting lineup: Joe Willis; Kevin Garcia , Philippe Senderos, Leonardo, DaMarcus Beasley; Eric Alexander , Juan David Cabezas, Boniek García; Alberth Elis, Andrew Wenger; Mauro Manotas

2nd half subs: Michael Nelson 60', George Malki 70', Adolfo Machado 60', Alejandro Fuenmayor 60', Justin Bilyeu 60', Eric Bird 60', Darwin Cerén 60', Wilmer A. Cabrera 70', Memo Rodriguez 70'. Mac Steeves 70', Arturo Alvarez 60'

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #56 newtex, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    The third preseason game in Tucson:

Wednesday, February 21
    Houston vs. Phoenix Rising (USL) 6:00 pm CST HoustonDynamo.com/live

The Dynamo are now 3-0-1 on the preseason after the win over NY Red Bulls.

Phoenix Rising has lost all three preseason games so far: NY Red Bulls 2-3, Colorado 0-2, and Kansas City 1-2. They will play a team to be determined on Saturday, February 24

The Dynamo stay in Tucson to play a team TBD on Saturday, February 24, before returning to Houston.

The Mobile Mini Sun Cup standings (after games of 2/17/18):

1. HOU 2 g.p. 4 pts +5
    2. RSL 2 g.p. 4 pts +2
    3. SKC 2 g.p. 4 pts +1
    NYR 3 g.p. 4 pts -4
    5. COR 1 g.p. 3 pts +2
    6. SEA 1 g.p. 3 pts +1
    7. NER 2 g.p. 2 pts +0
    8. FCD 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    9. SJE 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    10. SAN 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    11. POR 2 g.p. 1 pts -1
    12. LAG 1 g.p. 0 pts -2
    13. PHR 3 g.p. 0 pts -4

I believe the team BOLDED are eligible for the final round on February 24.

RTBO84 and Soccergodlss repped this.
  7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I watched the whole game of the NYRB Houston preseason game

Our first and second team vs the NYRB II USL club.

We looked pretty good albeit shaky at times on defense in the middle. Willis had a few good saves to settle things down back there. However, it was against a USL side since the NYRB first team is in training for a Confederation club cup or something.

Bird with two assists and Steeves with two goals at the end. Granted, the other team was a little tired at that point and had a lot of subs in.

Still no appearance by Quioto.

This game or the Portland game wasn't our starters vs their starters, so no real head to head test in preseason as of yet.

8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If Steeves can get in position and finish like he has been against actual MLS starters, WC will have another good option for Striker.

9. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What is up with Quito? They said he had the flu at one point.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    My concern on him is knee health, and that's just going to be a running worry, but he looks good when he gets on the ball, has made finishes similar to his college highlights.

He is such a unique body type to the team -- an actual 9 in build -- that he will see playing time. They needed three things in the attack: a 9, and Steeves will get plenty of run out as that option, someone to create late a la Sanchez, and I think they think that's Alvarez, and a speed sub, which didn't get done.

The first two picks seem decent. The later round players seem long since ticketed to RGV if anything.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I watched the first half of NYRB, last time I watched the bench start, this time I wanted to see the XI.

My two cents, the offense is weakened but the bench will be better. In terms of starters, we are dangerous if we can get the ball to Elis wide in dangerous spots when the other team isn't sitting back. I don't know if the team is as good at getting the ball outletted early.

However, offsetting that, I think we have a wider variety of bench options in creative spots, Memo, Alvarez, Wenger, Steeves. I think Steeves' height plus Elis and Remick gives you some people who could make Memo useful late.

I'm a little concerned about wide defending.

I see a marginal 4-6 seed with an improved bench and will be interested what gets done with Torres Cash in the summer. But I thought on paper we should have run NYRB B off the field, and didn't, so I think we're back roughly where we were last spring, but with the surprise card already played.

12. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    He allegedly had the flu while the team went off to RGV for their initial road trip. He also was sick last year at some point causing him to miss a game when there is some indication he may have been on a Galveston party cruise instead.

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    After Deric getting canned, going off on a frolic of his own is not a smart move. Based on dropping down to 1 playoff start and 140 minutes, and what happened to Torres whose role similarly shrunk, I kind of thought Quioto, Manotas, and Martinez had an important first half of the season in front of them. I think we need a 10, but if we instead want to shop forwards, that surely comes at someone's expense. Since the premise of this offseason is continuity giving up that advantage would be unwise.

This team is set up to make it to the summer, center backs aplenty for Machado, no real 10 in the midfield, bunch of forward options. I see change in the summer, if he doesn't get off his tail he gets traded or something.

14. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    We have Martinez this season at 10. I saw some glimpses of good football from him, but now that he has had time to adapt to the manager and learn his team, the pressure will be on him to earn that shirt.

15. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-lean-on-Tomas-Martinez-as-their-12529085.php

"The Dynamo do not expect Martinez to play at the level of those greats, but they do expect him to produce at a high level.

"He has to take that role because that's one of the reasons we brought him," Cabrera said. "We expect that he feels more comfortable every day. He is young, only 22 years old. We want for him to know that his role is respected, but also to let him know about the responsibility he has.""

""He came in and impacted the team positively," Cabrera said. "He came in moving well, working hard, assisting and scoring goals. In the end, that's what we want. It's a new year with new challenges, so he needs to continue maturing and continue adapting to the league and the team.""

I think he has until the summer to impress and earn the spot. At which point we have Torres Cash to spend. I think they would rather spend it elsewhere but I think if he struggles he will be replaced.

I actually think he's a decent worker bee but he's making producer money and they want him to playmake.

Heft repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Starting lineup versus Phoenix Rising: Seitz; Malki, Fuenmayor, Leonardo, Bilyeu; Ward, Cerén, Martínez; Álvarez, Steeves, Rodriguez

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #67 newtex, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    38' - Red card to Charlie Ward. Houston was allowed replace him with Bird. George Malki also left replaced by Wharton.

41'- Houston goal by Alvarez. Assist to Wharton.

45' - PK attempt by Phoenix off a handball by Houston in the box. Saved by Seitz. Rebound shot bounced around off players and the post, was saved off the line a couple of times, but didn't go in.

PHX 0-1 HOU, halftime

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    2nd half subs for Houston: Willis into goal. Quioto is in off the bench for Steeves.

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    61' Donovan on for Leonardo.

71' Aguilar, Palomino and Cabrera replace Martínez, Rodriguez and Álvarez

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    PHX 0-1 HOU, final.

The Dynamo advance to the final of this tournament on Saturday night as the #1 seed. They will probably face New England but maybe Portland again.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Is Wharton any good? Any of the other noobs (Fuenmayor, Donovan, Bilyeu, Ward, Aguilar, Bird, Palomino) impress? I realize it was a USL team and we obviously rested people and kept minutes down for some, but my theory is if you can't make someone look in this kind of game chances are you're not a MLS gamechanger or even role player just the same.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NOTE: This pairing is not official yet but New England is saying they will play the Dynamo. If something changes I'll update the post.

The fourth and final preseason game in Tucson:

Saturday, February 21
    New England Revolution v. Houston Dynamo 7:15 pm CST HoustonDynamo.com/live

The Dynamo are now 4-0-1 on the preseason after the win over Phoenix Rising.

New England is 2-1-3 in the preseason, 2-0-1 against MLS opponents. They most recently beat Kansas City 2-1 in Tucson. They start the regular season on March 3 at Philadelphia.

The Dynamo next return home to start the MLS season on March 3.

The Mobile Mini Sun Cup standings (after games of 2/21/18):

1. HOU 3 g.p. 7 pts +6
    2. NER 3 g.p. 5 pts +1
    3. POR 3 g.p. 4 pts +2

4. RSL 2 g.p. 4 pts +2
    5. SKC 3 g.p. 4 pts +0
    6. NYR 4 g.p. 4 pts -7

7. COR 1 g.p. 3 pts +2
    8. SEA 1 g.p. 3 pts +1
    9. FCD 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    10. SJE 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    11. SAN 1 g.p. 1 pts +0
    12. LAG 1 g.p. 0 pts -2
    13. PHX 4 g.p. 0 pts -5

I believe the teams BOLDED are eligible for the final round on February 24.

23. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I watched most of the game and the Dynamo controlled most of the possession but had fewer clear cut chances.
    Ward with the red so Wharton from RGV played and provided an assist.
    Byrd Memo Alvarez Martinez all looked lively and moved the ball around quickly and were pests to provide good pressure on the USL side. Resulted in lots of turnover and counters.
    Fuenmayor looked better. Byrd looked vastly improved - liked his performance. Bilyeu only made a few mistakes very late but looked better than Malki.
    Alvarez’s left foot cut back causes defenders problems - 2nd goal like that.

24. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    appearance by Quioto - not beating ppl on speed was surprising. He had some attitude problems.

Goalies looking adequate.
    Seitz saved a penalty and a rebound from jason johnson i think.

I did not see the last 25 of the first half so I didn’t see that much of Steeves performance.

25. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    they actually put in the kid from UCLA, Palamino and Cabrera in late.

Cabrera had a breakaway one v one with the keeper in the waning minutes with plenty of time and keeper stoned him.

typical youngster tryout