Dyer (SoccerNet): Senses hate from BS Already

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Simon Birch, Aug 4, 2006.

1. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Why do these articles from ESPN Soccernet get their own thread anyway? It isn't major news. Just merge it into the daily news thread or move it to MLS General.

2. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My thoughts exactly. The whole thing could have been compressed into a paragraph without losing any content.

3. usa_superfan

usa_superfan New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    Amen.

Also, if this is the case, I don't want to see a write up from Dyer on it: If you don't like the game, don't watch it, don't write about it, don't earn any money off it... put your principles and wallet in the same basket.

In the meantime, I'll be 3 rows from the enjoying every minute of it :D

4. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Repped :)

5. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Now that's a GREAT idea!

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Shouldn't the winner of the previous years MLS Cup coach the All-Star game.

These are adults they can work something out.

7. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Hey I clicked on your signature link and thought the background on this picture was curious? What's Fid trying to convey?

[​IMG]

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's anticipating hate mail and angry responses? blech. I didn't make it three graphs before I started skimming.

how 'bout indifferent email and uninterested posts? is that good enough?

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well, he was begging for his own thread in his lead ...

and why does it have to be 'major' news? the forum is 'news and analysis.' it may be dumb, but it fits the bill.

10. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and I disagree. I believe there are more quality players in the league who provide more overall quality of play than there were in the early days. However, there is no way one single player of the group you listed has a name that would be recognized outside of certain circles.

THAT (recognition) is something that a Valderrama and an Etcheverry brought to the league. Every soccer fan in the western hemisphere knew Etch. Every soccer fan in the world knew Valderrama...and even many non-soccer fans (due to his hair). Even Harkes was fairly well-known due to his time playing in Europe. THAT is something the league lacks right now. THAT is why many would argue the importance of bringing a Beckham or Ronaldo to the league. Not that the level of play would increase, but the level of recognition/respect it would bring on a wider scale would increase.

11. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    I suppose if you can't tell, I feel somewhat passionately that MLS is ready for a spark.

The league has done an incredible job of bringing up the overall talent of the league in a very short time. Gerneration Adidas/Project-40 have been overwhelming success stories. Put Chris Leitch on a MLS roster circa 1996, he would have been a standout, an All-Star and probably be in the national team pool. Now, a player like Leitch is somewhat of a journeyman. We've come a long way, baby.....

But, with that being said, MLS needs some more star-power, and not just for the All-Star game. It's tough selling me or my friends who once in awhile accompany me to MLS matches, to come out and see Bo Oshonyi take on Carlos Mendes......MLS desperately needs some star power. The fact that the league can average between 14-15k fans w/o a major draw like an Etch, Valderamma, Donadoni, Zenga, etc. is a testament to the league's stability and staying power. Now is the time to take the next step, get off the plateau, w/o compromising the league's vital youth development.

K. Dyer

Just an FYI, only positive emails so far......someone's even claiming to be a relative of mine......peace out BS.

12. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Sadly though, most BigSoccer MLS fans don't have the stomach for it.

Nicey nice Andrea Canales is more their speed.

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want "nicey nice", but I wouldn't mind someone who does their own damn research and doesn't perpetually treat MLS like a red-headed stepchild.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

15. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    yep

16. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You hit the nail on the head with this last sentence.

Recognizable stars sell tickets. To use a basketball analogy, people buy tickets to see Kobe Bryant play, not to see someone like Brad Miller set a nice pick.

Ruiz, Moreno, etc. are all good players, but they just lack the requisite "star" quality (and skills for that matter) to make me plunk down $$$ and spend and Saturday afternoon watching them run around on the pitch.

Put someone like Ronaldo or Beckham on the pitch with Ruiz or Moreno and I'd be happy to watch one of their matches on TV or go live in person.

17. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle

Must stars be over the hill past their prime players?

No one will give MLS any more respect because Beckham decides to don a Galaxy jersey or Ronaldo Rotundo decides he likes Red Bull so much he will play for them.

Most clued up soccer fans will say, "oh MLS is becoming a retirement league again." At best they will add a little flash for 5 minutes, at worst the MLS because NASL part 2.

We need more Freddy Adu type stars made in the MLS to gain more fans who will buy tickets. Its all about marketting.

18. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you that we need more Freddy Adu type stars. However, the current youth system just isn't ready to produce these types of players.

With regard to the bolded sentence, the key part is your mentioning of "clued up soccer fans." The problem right now is that MLS needs to look to attract the non-clued up soccer fans who got turned on to the sport because of the 2006 World Cup.

Touting the footballing virtues of someone like Ben Olsen (who I like and think is a solid player) is not going to attract Joe Fan who just finished watching a World Cup filled with players like Ballack, Zidane and Totti.

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Bad comparison. There is no higher quality league that the NBA is compared to.

The comparison will work if you are comparing a star studded NBA (or NHL) team to a team full of worker bees.

I don't want to see big names running around with players who are far below their quality.

I would much rather see a situation where very team has a Ruiz and a Moreno and a Guevarra supported by a Noonan and a Mina and a Mulrooney with a bunch of Tim Ward types on the bench etc.

Quality all over the field. It doesn't have to be anywhere near what the big leagues offer. Just lots and lots of players who know how to play the game intelligently.

The big names with little support only bring out the lookyloos who go away as quickly as they came.

20. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Correct.

Incorrect.

21. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.

Good post. But how... HOW can you leave out DeRosario? He's about the most exciting thing to happen to the league.

I'll take our current crop: DeRo, Rico Clark, Dempsey, Twellman... throw in Adu just for glitz... over the orginal batches of old farts anyday.

A select few of that group were truly great in MLS. Nowak was fricking amazing for a couple seasons. On that note, has everybody forgotten how awesome Leonel Alvarez was when he first started with the league?