News: Dutch players at home and abroad worthy to be tracked in connection with the Dutch NT - Part 4

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Depay with 1 goal and 4 assists.. Not too shabby, albeit against the bottom-est team. I only watched the goal highlights. His goal was well-taken, he split the defender with a perfectly-timed run and slightly lobbed the ball against the inrushing goalie. Two of his assists were from his corner kick... nice looking ball to the box and the tall dude (Marcelo, I think it was his name) on both occasions capitalized. The other two assists was Depay being unselfish, passing to his teammates rather than shooting from acute angles. Job well done. :thumbsup:

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  2. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He started there last game too. He should be a striker. If these coaches had listened to me from the beginning....

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^^ If this can happen for NT as well...Happy to see that Depay is doing well in his new position. It's nice to have hope again. As much as Cillessen doing well in the goal for NT, we still need another keeper that is good with PK, like Krul in 2014. Zoet and Cillessen are not that great with PK.

5. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wijnaldum did really well as the 6 with Liverpool vs. Everton. It really suits his strengths (absorbing pressure, economical play, discipline, great first touch, defending space). It will also allow him to break the lines more often I think because he plays a little too safe centrally further up the pitch, whereas that's expected a little further back. Loved watching him shield the ball and and then turning Rooney so hard he floored him on the weekend.

6. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wijnaldum should be a permanent fixture at the 6. He's not what people typically associate with the position because he doesn't really go to ground, or look super busy all the time but he is absolutely FANTASTIC there. His positional sense, cutting off of passing lanes, marking, discipline, ability to absorb pressure, and his ability to break the lines is absolutely unreal.

Between this development and Memphis' move to striker I think our team can really get rolling again.

7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5633 wilson00, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    The problem is Klopp keeps rotating him all over the midfield and it will not help him to develop to the best of his abilites given a particular position.

What I feel klopp is trying to do is develop him as a overall midfielder TO that of the team that he has got. At NT level it will be totally different situation to that of what he is doing at club level.

This is the same thing happening to strootman at Roma. He fits in perfectly well at Roma along side Nainggolan and De Rossi but come NT, its another story.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wijnaldum is a very good player but is not exceptional at any one position. Since he has been a fixture on the NT he has played on the wing, AM, DM, and B2B. I remain unconvinced that he will be a key player for the NT but he will definitely get minutes.

9. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The player that he's developed into though best suits the 6 position. He should be playing there always, but his flexibility is not a bad thing.

Something that many people note is that one of his biggest problems is that he 'doesn't realize how good he is'. I can see this to be true to an extent. He doesn't have an assertive personality; technically, physically and in terms of his intelligence he's up there with the best but he doesn't seem to play with the confidence of someone who feels he's one of the best. You see it in bursts where he turns 3 players or makes great runs or passes, but most of the time he seems to be playing safe.

10. Depends on what you mean with key player. In the 2nd Koeman match he played far better because of the inclusion of Propper. The combo Wijnaldum-Propper is far more effective than with the partners in the first match.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Depay with a goal and an assist today

12. Gsus. For many seasons I had Bruma as my pet hated incomptent player. Aké has taken on him that duty. It's a bloody shame such an incomptent player has gotten the chance to wear the Orange shirt.
    In today's match versus Liverpool I started with the intention to be lenient, as Liverpool has some hitting power. But it was very fast out of the window. He again made errors that have nothing to do with the quality of the opponent, but everything with being the most overrated player ever to wear the Orange shirt. His opponent scored goals, simply because Aké had no idea where he was (hint: 2 meters behind him). He also was saved by the ref, because he made a penalty worthy push foul and as such should have been red carded for fouling a broken through player.
    This shithead is even worse than Bruma was.

!6 year old vd Berg from PEC Zwolle has more quality in his toe than Aké in his whole body.

13. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You are just being critical about him on one aspect of his game in an adopted position.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll have to agree with FSF about Ake. Every time I have seen him play he makes lots of mistakes. He has great physical abilities but no football brain at all. He is not the first player to suffer from this. Too bad one cannot fuse Ake and Blind into a single player; that would be a fine move!!;)

15. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Cillessen is a wanted man this summer... he would be foolish to stay at Barca and warm up the bench there. Some of his suitors are more-than-decent options. A move to Liverpool would be the best scenario. He and Van Dijk can really develop solid partnership. And Liverpool is returning to the UCL again next season.

https://www.football-oranje.com/liverpool-atletico-madrid-napoli-eyes-cillessen/

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree with that.

Problem with Cillessen is he's too good for subtable teams, but not good enough for top teams.

So what do you do with him??!!

17. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
  18. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thank god. Memphis and Promes should be our front 2 for now.

19. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Dost reminded me of Hasselbaink, Makaay or Van Hooijdonk, not the same type of player but somehow did not do well with NT (e.g. no service, style not fit with the team tactics/other players....). I don't mind seeing Memphis, Promes to start or other younger players given a chance.

20. Might this be a case of misplaced arrogance from the coaches?
    Who did we have that scored so many goals for years now in a league with brutal defenders, that play with axes if necesary.
    If our arrogant coaches were able to fit the team to the need of the goal scorer we have we probably wouldnot have missed 2 tournements in a row. Just a thought.
    Dost may be not the player in front we were used to, but because he was the only one it was just plain stupid to make him fit the team instead of the other way around.
    Just a thought.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Right on the mark!!!!

22. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's more stupid to try and build a team around one of your inferior players as opposed to just playing your best players and making a system that suits them. If I could see for years that we should have been using Memphis at CF I'm sure a coach must have been able to see it. 5g and 5a in 4 games since he started playing at striker btw (including his game vs Portugal).

Dost is just not good enough for the NT plain and simple and his retirement benefits us. Especially if we are going to be sticking to the 3-5-2 you need to have dynamic strikers.

23. Well, that plan worked grand, did it? How far did we get in the WC2018 and Euro 2016 again? If the facts are as they are it's plain stupid to think it was the right way.
    Fact nr 1. Dost was scoring as mad.
    Fact nr 2. Our selection wasnot good enough for a tactic that presumes players from better days.
    Fact 3. Sporting hasnot got great players, but the tactics get them Dost scoring like mad.
    Fact 4. We should have looked at how Sporting made him score and copy that by selecting the players and the suitable tactic to get the same result.
    Fact 5. All other actions have failed, so dissing this one as stupid is failing to be critical about actions taken and failing to fit the circumstances.

Orange14 repped this.