Duke Blue Devils 2018

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by mpr2477, Jul 28, 2018.

1. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Time to start a new thread for my Blue Devils.....

Last year was the best year ("statistically") in Duke women's soccer history. Most wins in school history, most shut outs in program history, most ACC shutouts, ACC regular season title, and advanced to the programs 4th ever College Cup. Individually, Duke dominated the acc post season awards, with Coach of the Year for Robbie Church. ACC offensive player of the year for Imani Dorsey, midfielder of the year for Rebecca Quinn, and defensive player of the year for Schuyler DeBree. All 3 were NCSAA All Americans. Kayla McCoy, EJ Proctor, Ella Stevens, Taylor Racioppi, Ashton Miller were also ALL ACC members, and Taylor Mitchell was on the all freshmen team. It was quite the year.

This year most likely won't be as amazing as last year, as that Sr class was one of the best ever in Duke history. There is a ton of talent to replace in Dorsey, Quinn, Proctor, DeBree, Miller, Reid and Allen. But....the cupboard is not bare by any means. Duke Jr/So and Fr classes were very strong, and should be able to stay in the top echelon of the ACC again this year. The incoming freshmen class wasn't a very strong class (comparatively to the previous 3), so I'm not sure what to expect from any of them. Having the coaching staff we do, is a major plus, as they will most certainly have this year's team ready to compete against anybody.

Looking at the roster, and trying to guess a starting lineup, wasn't easy. But with a bit of help from Coach van Bennekom (we emailed back and forth), this is who I will presume will start this year.

GK: Brooke Heinshohn - not making the under 20 usa team helps Duke immensely, as we get her the whole year
    CB: Taylor Mitchell
    CB: Karlie Paschal - yes, I'm aware this is a massive surprise. But Coach said this is most likely going to be the replacement for DeBree, as Paschal played defense for the under 20 national team.
    LB: Chelsea Burns
    RB: Mia Gyau - could also play FW spot
    HM: Olivia Erlbeck - definite drop off from Quinn, but started in this role in 2016, and was a bit slow, but admirable
    CM: Kat McDonald
    AM: Ella Stevens - should have a breakout year and be the prime ball distributor
    LF: Taylor Racioppi - Needs to have a massive Sr year, after a somewhat letdown last year in stats
    RF: not sure here....but I'll go with the freshmen, Mackenzie Pluck
    F: Kayla McCoy - Should have a big Sr year, one of the best hold up forwards in the country

Subs: F Brummett, MF Boade, F McGuirre, M Simmons, D Crocco, D Carlson, D Cosme, GK Stam.

Looking at this roster, I think our bench contribution might be a bit of a weakness compared to the UVA's, FSU's and UNC's. But the starters are solid. If the defense can gel quickly, they should be strong. They will need to be stout if the offense can't generate like last year. Although, I expect Stevens, Racioppi and McCoy to really take a step forward in goals/assists this year.

Duke has a pretty favorable schedule as well, as we don't play UNC or FSU in acc play. The out of conference schedule seems pretty tame to me, and we could go undefeated if they gel quickly. If not, there are potential trip ups right off the bat with Ohio St, and a few weeks later at Georgetown. All other games should be winnable.

My prediction: I think they go 14-2-2 overall, 7-1-2 in ACC play, which should put them top 4 again this year. That would be a solid year. After that, anything is possible in NCAA tourney play.

Everybody let me know your thoughts or comments.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one bold prediction for a final season record, especially after, like you said, all the talent/experience they lost.

3. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    It might be, but 1) they have some really good players left over, and 2) the schedule is not that tough in my opinion. They avoid UNC and FSU (Who I think will be the top2 teams in the acc this year).

4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Is the Duke /UNC game really at 10PM on Sunday?!

5. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    ACC preseason coaches poll came out today. Duke picked 4th. Seems about right, although I have us ahead of UVA. But the poll overall seems on point. Kayla McCoy and Ella Stevens picked preason all acc 1st team. Excited for them, as I hope they both have big years. Hope Racioppi can have a great senior season too, and join them on the 1st team.

oldmangrumpus repped this.
  6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Olivia Erlbeck no longer on the roster!! Anyone know if she’s transferring?

7. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Recap on Duke vs UGA exhibition:

Duke 3 UGA 0

Starting Lineup:
    GK: Heinsohn
    CB: Mitchell
    CB: Paschall
    LB: Burns
    RB: Delaney Graham
    CM: McDonald
    WM: Gyau
    WM: Pluck
    AM: Boade
    F: Racioppi
    F: McCoy

No Ella Stevens. She didn't dress, and looked like her left wrist was taped. Hopefully that's minor and she's back on Sunday vs UNC. We'll need her. Duke really missed her creativity/calm in the midfield. When she returns, I suspect she will take Gyau's midfield spot and that Gyau will replace Graham at RB.

Duke started out well, with lots of possession, and a nice slip through from freshman Mackenzie Pluck to Kayla McCoy, who put it passed the goalie for the game's first goal. At that point, I'm thinking "alright, we're gonna get maybe 6 goals tonight". NOPE. From that point on til the end of the first half, Duke was very disjointed, especially in the midfield. Gyau and Boade could not connect any pass to save their lives. McDonald did a fine job at holding mid, but her main strength was receiving quick passes from the other "deer in the headlight" midfielders, and passing back to the defense to get Duke out of trouble. Duke definitely misses Rebecca Quinn in this role. Duke held possession most of the time, but couldn't connect through the middle of the field, therefore almost NO chances were created the rest of the half. This was extremely frustrating to watch. Nullified McCoy and Racioppi completely. Two freshmen did impress me though. Delaney Graham (who I'll be honest, I never thought would even see the field this year, as she wasn't ranked at all by TDS), acquitted herself quite nicely. She's got good speed as an outside back. But when Stevens returns, I think Gyau will replace her. Gyau is not a midfielder. She doesn't have good decision making once she has the ball for prolonged periods of time. But she is very quick and athletic, and outside back is the preferred place for her. The other freshman that impressed was Mackenzie Pluck. She's small, but lightning quick. Can get by her defender with quick moves/feet. One to watch going forward.

Second half was a bit better, only because we scored two more goals. But again, there wasn't a lot of creativity or chances. UGA is the SEC bottom feeder, and they had equal shots/shots on goal as we did (9/4). Not a good stat for sure. Boade did have a great strike to get the 2nd goal. She's got quick feet, and is better in the final 3rd with one v one moves, shooting, then she is further back in the midfield having to hold the ball, or make connecting passes. Pluck got the 3rd goal, which she deserved, as she was the most impressive freshman for me, maybe even overall last night.

The defense was solid, and that might be our strength all year. Heinsohn was rarely tested, and she should be solid in goal all year. The two center backs this year are going to be Mitchell (no surprise) and Karlee Paschall (big surprise). But Paschall really looked good. She is good with the ball at her feet, and passes very cleanly. We'll see how good she can be when she has quicker forwards to defend.

Come sunday, Duke will need to tighten things up a lot. They either needs to make up there minds to concede the possession game, and sit back and defend hard, then counter when given the opportunity (a la '2015), OR they are going to have to get the wings involved a lot more to create better chances. I don't see the 2nd option happening in a span of 3 days, so hopefully they play the first option. Otherwise, I don't think it's going to be close against a very strong/deep UNC team sunday night.

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211767927&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Of course. I knew it. Anyone with an iPhone could see the weather for Sunday evening was gonna be bad. Total crap that they scheduled this game at 10PM!!! The weather today has been great up until 6ish...they coulda played this at noon or 1, and we woulda had a great rivalry game. Now, UNC and Duke won’t meet AT ALL this year! Total bs

9. oldmangrumpus

oldmangrumpus Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My understanding was that it had to be scheduled after some school event (maybe finals). This came from a Duke parent. Not sure if state law driven or school driven, but that is why the weird start time.

mpr2477 repped this.
  10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
  11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I have no words..... this is going to be a very long and frustrating season. We’re already down 2-1 at the half to a crappy bottom feeder big 10 team, Illinois. I don’t know how Brooke Heinsohn was ever considered for the under 20 usnt, cuz she’s terrible. Absolutely terrible. 3times, she’s cleared it right to the defender, and hasn’t once tried to even jump to stop a high/lob shot, despite being 6’1. Ugh, so bloody frustrating

Got Jukes? repped this.
  12. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Smdh.... pathetic just pathetic

1-2 loss

13. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Illinois was projected to win one game this season. Maybe today was it.

14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I rest my case. Utterly pathetic Duke

15. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wow...Ouch. but its the first week of the season and many teams looked shakey. lets let the dust settle before writing a team of this caliber off

Soccerhunter repped this.
  16. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    That's not the point. The point IS, quality teams can look shaky, but still find a way to win the game against a much inferior team. Had this been G'Town, then I'd be fine with a L. But this was Illinois. Not good. Even if Duke wins out, they'll not be able to get a 1 seed based on this loss. I don't see a top 3 seed happening regardless, as this team just doesn't look connected at all.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Aww, c'mon. Chin up, mpr. Duke will be OK. The point that Glove Stinks and I would make is that even the best teams have their jitters early in the season. And especially when the team is just starting out in a new season dealing with the fact that an incredible group of seniors have graduated and are no longer on the field with them, there are bound to be disconnects.

The fact of the matter is that Duke has great coaching, and by any measure a talented bunch of players on the field. They will recover.

If it is any consolation, I recall going to the second exhibition game at UNC two years ago and what I saw absolutely stunned me. As a Tar Heel WoSo fan since the team was started, I had never seen such unbelievable poor play. Inept passing (mostly to Missouri players it seemed), poor defending with coverage mix-ups galore, and an offense that went no where. The only player on the field who had a good day was the keeper Lindsey Harris who single handedly kept the score deceptively low. I went home shell shocked and depressed for the season. ....Then the team slowly got it together and made it to the final 4.

Duke has the potential to do the same.

18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS

Thanks Soccerhunter. That was a good pep talk. :)

You might be right. I hope we can pick things up and get far.

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I look at it, there are three possibilities:

1. Duke isn't as good as people thought;

2. Illinois isn't as bad as people thought;

3. This simply was one of those soccer upsets that happens now and then.
    My full season simulation says that the "predicted" ARPI rating difference between the two teams, adjusted for home field advantage, was 0.1876. Statistically, for that rating difference, the better rated team should win 98.2% of the time, tie 1.2%, and lose 0.2% (i.e., once in every 500 games). The reality probably includes all three of the possibilities.

Kurt Kline repped this.
  20. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Awwwwww Duke and UNC getting along.....its a love fest!!! o_O

mpr2477 repped this.
  21. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke beat Elon 3-0 tonight but the commentator confirmed Mia Gyau is once again out for the season with an Achilles year. Damn, she has no luck

22. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    If there is any good news about her second ACL tear (assuming it is on the opposite knee from the last tear), it is that when she comes back next fall that she should be good for quite awhile. The track record for ACL repairs in the last decade or so is that they seem not to re-rupture for women athletes. --I'm watching Megan Rapinoe who had her second ACL repair done just a few years ago. Being an extremely athletic player who trains all the time and is now in her 30s (oldish for a professional soccer player), it will be interesting to see if she can get to retirement and not have a repeat.

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Achilles and ACL are 2 completely different things. Can some one confirm which gave out. That’s a horrible thing to hear either way. Speedy recovery to Gyau

24. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    It’s her achilles. The commentator on yesterday’s match said so, and she was in a boot on crutches on the sidelines, not a knee brace.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Sorry I got the body part wrong. Thanks for the correction.

mpr2477 repped this.