Dual Nationals - Who's the next Rossi?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Aug 13, 2013.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    For me, this issue is tied to the fact that I view the USMNT as the standard-bearer for the development of soccer in the USA. When players on the USA team were, in fact, not developed in the USA and have limited ties to the USA, that diminishes the extent to which the USMNT reflects the development of soccer in the USA.

What if all 23 players on the roster were guys who technically were citizens but had tenuous ties to the USA and were not developed here at all?

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "Americans born outside the US" have to do with race?

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The point is that they're citizens not technical citizens with a tenuous tie. It's binary and a citizen is a citizen, full stop.

The coach can exclude player for bad attitude, dissention or lack of interest but that can happen in players born, raised and trained in the USA (a la LD) and has little to do with where they were raised IMO.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That, however, is not the role the USMNT serves. Never has been. Frankly, we're to the point when virtually every nation on earth tries to take advantage of their diaspora of eligible players. Even Brazil is doing it with players like Andreas Pereira (born and raised in Belgium before he moved to PSV and then Man United).

Most of these dual-nationals are children of US servicemen and women abroad. They are no more or less American than anybody else. And trying to judge or gauge the patriotism of these players from a distance is unfair.

People like Abby Wambach, who don't actually do any research, pile all of these players into one folder labeled "foreign-born dual-nationals." However, every story and background is different. Jermaine Jones' story is very different from Mix Diskerud's story.

Most of these players were brought into US youth teams well before the USMNT. For instance Cameron Carter-Vickers, probably the next "breakout youngster" with the group, has played for the US U18, U20s, and U23s. The USMNT/USYNT staffs know his commitment to the program and the country very well.

Actually, if people really want to learn about dual-nationals................................they should follow the USYNTs. Our USYNTs will call up anybody with a thread of a link to the US. The US U17s just called up a Dutch youngster from Ajax nobody had ever heard of for a camp. Its really with the youth teams that the USMNT/USYNT gauge whether the players have the right intentions. Its a rare occasion when they don't.

Gacm32, mike4066, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.
  6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Love this either or side taking, great job guys!

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next Rossie may be Bjorn Maars Johnsen, he was born in S. Carolina and since age 17 has been living abroad and if JK doesn't take a look at him, he will bolt.

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    ******** LD, that half-Canuck quitter. What good did he ever do. Same with that Argie Reyna who quit on the team to focus on his club career only to waltz back in when he felt like it.

chad and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If only anyone wanted him.

10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see. Is not like he is a final product.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Norway even take him? He's a part-time at Hearts. I mean, we don't have many big, tall strikers, so he could be useful, but IDK about Norway's striker situation.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisZ repped this.
  13. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    how the mighty have fallen

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd hope our next impact dual national is Tillman. Probably 1-2 years away but he's extremely talented, extremely high ceiling and as an ACM would sorely fill a need in our player pool.

And, he's recently been ignored by Germany's youth teams.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He was just called in on Tuesday to Germany's U-19's (or maybe their U-18's), although you are right, he mostly has been ignored by Germany's youth teams.

16. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I heard from Sciaretta's podcast, er spielt jetzt mit Deutschland.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty clear the first time. No one's interested in watching you try to prove Donovan should've been cut for the umpteenth time.

Are you saying you agree with me?

18. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I was just pointing out your selective use of team dynamics.... then you go on to say that if your philosophy leaves off a top player then it should criticized. So I'm criticizing your philosophy. One for potentially leaving off a top player. Two for applying a philosophy to a general situation and ignoring it on a specific one.

19. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he like 24 yo?

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, while he's not a seasoned veteran, he's also not some fresh rookie. There may be some refinement to his game but I don't see any huge improvements at his age.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some players mature at a later age (mid 20s) what I look for in a player is a steady improvement no matter how far back they have started in league level.

23. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said culture, language etc. may be things that legitimately effect a player's fit in a team. I also said that any team dynamic that excludes your top players deserves attention and criticism. These concepts are not exclusive. Do you have an ulterior motive?

24. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toljan in the mix for the Germany senior NT? If I'm not mistaken he was on the Germany Olympic team for the Rio Olympics.

Also thought that Croatia is his backup, not the United States.

As its been said before, dual nationals have been on the team before Klinsmann and it will continue long after he's gone.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wouldn't that be more on their development than on their actual dual citizen status?

A player born in the USA but who learned to play somewhere else, then, is less of a representative of the program than a dual national, born somewhere else, but who spent his crucial years (9-15) in the USA system, no?