News: Drunken, Promiscuous College Roommate of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    To follow up my post, I think it's better for good U.S. players to be big fish in a small pond than small fish in a big pond.

eboe repped this.
  2. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the lesson the Freddy Adus and Danny Szetelas should have learned long ago, but that siren's call of Europe seems to be too much for them at times. The lesson needs to be that if you go abroad, you have to be pretty much top 1% to get both the money AND the playing time. You can get the money but expect to ride the pine. If you stay in MLS you can get the playing time but maybe not as much money. It is almost the same as kids leaving college football/basketball early for the pros and then being washed up because they never had enough seasoning.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    MLS is not a sports league. It's a corporation whose product resembles professional soccer. Huge difference.

CybrSlydr, Jake Folan and HardHatMike repped this.
  4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, they seem to be doing it right. I haven't heard anything from the soccer bashers in a while. The whole "MLS won't be around in a few years and Crew Stadium will be ___________" comments have died down drastically since the league's investors were committed to funding the league for five years, circa 2001.

When was the last time anyone in the media referred to MLS as a "fledgling" league?

5. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Twitter feed from the MLS Draft, this is what caught my eye the most.

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl2h
    Don Garber getting ready for CBA talks: "The league is losing between $75 and $100 million a year."

That means with 20 teams, each team on average is losing $5 million a year. That is just crazy.

6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lies. lol

7. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Something has to be turning a profit by now. I imagine that Soccer United Marketing is raking in dough. MLS owners have to be making cash in separate venture or something that has no legally binding ties to MLS in order to claim that they are still losing money.

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New TV deal: "The league is doing great!"
    New CBA: "We're doomed if we give the players any more money!"

9. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012

DOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Between stadium naming rights and jersey sponsors, these guys aren't taking hits like that. Especially if Crew are sold for $70 mill.

I'm a bit worried that the players are going to see this growth and ask for some salary increase (rightly so IMO) and MLS might not go for it. This will be an interesting CBA for sure.

11. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Where is the money going? League revenues are about 500 mil per year on an operating basis. Supposedly the expansion fees are paying for the league to acquire Dempsey and Bradley. The players salaries are less than 20% of revenues. Travel expenses can't be that much of the total. A few teams have bad leases but most have their own stadiums now. Sounds like stadium lease payments chicanery to have the teams lose money while the stadium makes it.

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    #2387 puttputtfc, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Ding Ding Ding!!!! There is no reason to make money if others are bleeding it. I imagine Crew Stadium makes money but is a separate entity from Columbus Crew. Hair splitting for some but huge difference legally.

Edit: Forgot to mention creative accounting. It's financial speak for turning Aimer into Maria Kililenko and vice versa depending on your goals.

13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. This better not mean fewer parties in the tent. They're already a complete shell of what they used to be. IIRC, even LTA stopped coming by as much.

14. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmmm...
    Exactly what I thought. With all the groundbreaking (by MLS standards) deals being signed and transfer fees being paid by the league, if this is true, then Garber should be fired for allowing control of the league just disintegrate.

15. Dominican

Dominican Member

Nov 11, 2012
    Reynoldsburg
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posturing for contract negotiations.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not trying to majorly disagree with you, do not discount the cost of travel. It's one reason the USL had trouble being a national league (still do, really, as does the NASL)--they had/have a lot more success as a set of regional leagues. And I had *that* from a former USL owner.

I'd be willing to bet that a single road trip to LA or Seattle costs about half a cheap players' yearly salary (maybe more) once you get past airfare, hotel, busing, per diem for the team, coaches, equipment staff and other members of the traveling party.

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that travel costs are substantial. But they're also fairly static. That is, until the day comes when clubs take charter flights (and I hope it comes quickly), clubs know pretty far in advance what it'll cost them to travel each year. As a cost of doing business, there's not much the league can do.

The clubs themselves can continue to raise more revenue, and we know what that means here in Columbus; stadium naming rights, sponsorship, attendance, local TV deal, etc. But it seems to me that the last pillar that the league's ownership can hide behind when it comes time to sit down with the players and negotiate a new CBA, is that national TV ratings still suck. I mean, they suck bad, always have. The new ESPN/Fox deal is better than what the league had with NBC, which is great. But at some point, ratings need to go up, or those TV deal numbers will stagnate.

The real advantage MLS has going for it is that, via SUM, they own some (not all) of the rights to US and Mexican national team games. That is effing huge. But for the link, I can't imagine MLS would be getting much traction from major networks; the league can piggyback on the products that networks really want access to. The irony here, of course is that non-MLS soccer ratings have shown huge growth potential. So it's hard to argue anymore that Americans won''t watch the sport on TV. They're just cool on MLS. Until and unless the league can ramp up the quality of play and promise a televised atmosphere that each week looks at least marginally like this:

[​IMG]

it's hard to see those ratings improving too much, IMHO.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Air travel in general has jumped 15% or so recently, according to a report on WTVN this morning. Average US airfare is about $360. Not sure how charter wouldwork for MLS teams--they are perhaps not large enough for the bigger planes and too large for something like NetJets, I would think. As a cost of business, it *is* part of the CBA negotiations, though. Directly for things like hotels and per diem (I doubt they stay in Motel 6's). Indirectly, as far as what the teams have available for salaries. It's not insiginifcant.

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    As pointed out in the MLS N&A thread, the league is apparently using SUM to skim off the tv money. It's distributed to SUM's owners (25% to a private equity firm, the rest to MLS owner-operators), with USSF also getting a cut. But the tv revenue from MLS games isn't credited to MLS or its teams under the league's accounting. Of course the players won't buy that during CBA negotiations but that seems to be what Garber is relying on with his false claims about huge losses.

20. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, the league lets each team take a charter flight once per year. Perhaps someone else has more recent info. I'm sure costs are high (I was a travel agent for a while back in the day). My point is that I don't think that MLS players have particularly cushy per diems or stay in a lot of five star hotels. It isn't minor league baseball, of course. But I can't imagine the league can squeeze a lot more out of the current structure. I also assume that the league's investors have a pretty good idea of what thee costs are ahead of time. I mean, sure costs cost go up. But not so much as, say, what the league has started spending for top level DP talent compared to what it did a decade ago.

Anyway, as per usual, I'm sure the CBA negotiations will be a laugh a minute.

21. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Probably the biggest factor in the upcoming CBA negotiations doesn't start until June.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The league should be able to get good prices on travel and accommodations. They know well in advance how many seats/rooms they will need. I don't know who currently is the official hotel of the Crew but assumed part of the deal was a discount on rooms for visiting teams.

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll leave the light on...

[​IMG]

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It used to be the Adams Mark, then I think the Hyatt on Capitol Square. In any event not a budget place.

25. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States