Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To my mind Wilimowski is eligible for Poland anyway, under the first nation played for criteria. That seems more clear cut to me, unless I misunderstand something. I'm not sure if that eligibility was actually being questioned though?

I would treat his case like Franz Binder's, even if Binder was actually born in Austria too, rather than just a region that used to be Austrian and later became Austrian again (which would be more equivalent to Wilimowski's case in that respect).

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Of course his parents being German is different too. But in the end if we go with 'first nation played for' he played for Poland before Germany. He's also a Polish legend I suppose. But anyway, I don't think @Excape Goat has to remove him.

Excape Goat repped this.
  3. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    For my part, there is no problem for Alcántara to play with Rest of the World. It was not my intention to enter into controversy with anyone, not even to attract the great Alcántara to my team of Reserves of Spain. Maybe I can have other forwards who can perfectly perform the work of Paulino.
    However, I have read a lot about this player and his story and I thought it was interesting to share it with you.
    As for Willimowski, in my humble opinion there is not the slightest inconvenience for him to deify the colors of Poland.
    A request for the organizer. When all the templates are defined, would it be possible to publish them all together? I am curious to know what great players are left out and to be able to design, in a symbolic way, the Team of the Great Absentees.

PDG1978 repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification mate. Your English is generally very good but I guess it's inevitable that in certain posts I can misconstrue what you mean still, and I wasn't sure if you were indicating "if I can't have Alcantara I don't want Spain Reserves". I suppose we couldn't have been sure whether poetgooner would pick him anyway if considered Spanish, but yes hopefully it doesn't upset you or wm or anyone else to allow him for the Rest of the World but after your clarification I'd be inclined to suggest we did, and then @Excape Goat could leave his squads as submitted previously, enjoy the rest of his break and then join us for the game in about a week.

If you're still happy to pick Spain Reserves that is great!

Actually, I am wondering if a good plan is to wait for all squads to be listed on this thread first, and then I can open the main thread and use opening posts (after the introduction) to list all of our squads, Wikipedia style (probably group by group). People can indicate squad numbers if they like, but otherwise I'd just list the names, starting with goalkeepers, then defenders, midfielders and forwards.

So @msioux75 I may wait a bit longer to open the thread. I think it won't be long before all the squads have been announced anyway, but I can set a deadline of the 24th July too. People are obviously revealing squads after drafts immediately, and several others have been shown already too. I think it is fair to be able to see all the squads by midweek ahead of submitting opening line-ups too (we won't see each others' line-ups before deciding our own but it is better and more realistic if we can all see every squad list).

I have two starting line-ups from Excape Goat already, and one of them now plays a different opponent to the original plan. With that in mind, and to allow him to select his other two line-ups, then if he is not online much for the rest of his holiday he can have a couple of extra days to confirm line-ups for his opening games if necessary.

My plan/idea is still to receive line-ups by each Sunday, and to receive votes on the games by each Wednesday.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Could be interesting yeah. I'm sure we would all have some individual choices, but that a few names would be mentioned a lot if we each tried to do that (not that I'm suggesting we do!).

On a different note, I had a think about what I felt a combined best squad could look like for my 4 submitted squads and re: Italy Reserves I was probably leaning to putting 4 of their players in it (but that would mean 5 Yugoslavia players, and 7 each from Hungary and the Fennoscandia squad). Most of the 4 Italians being defenders indeed.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    On the basis of no changes needed to Excape Goat's squads, here is an updated list of allocated teams (squads already selected indicated in bold)....

Group #1
    competitor #1: B. Benelux-A (La-Maquina)
    competitor #2: A. Argentina-B (poetgooner)
    competitor #3: D. Poland (Excape Goat)
    competitor #4: C. Uruguay (msioux)

Group #2
    competitor #1: D. Hungary (PDG1978)
    competitor #2: B. France-B (thebigman)
    competitor #3: C. Rest of South America-A (msioux)
    competitor #4: A. Italy-B (Titanlux)

Group #3
    competitor #1: D. Yugoslavia (PDG1978)
    competitor #2: C. Rest of the World (Excape Goat)
    competitor #3: B. British Isles-A (thebigman)
    competitor #4: A. Spain (poetgooner)
    Group #4
    competitor #1: C. Italy Reserves (PDG1978)
    competitor #2: D. Bulgaria-Romania (La-Maquina)
    competitor #3: B. Benelux-B (poetgooner)
    competitor #4: A. Argentina-A (msioux)
    Group #5
    competitor #1: D. Austria (Titanlux)
    competitor #2: B. British Isles-B (poetgooner)
    competitor #3: A. Portugal (Excape Goat)

competitor #4: C. Africa (Peru FC)
    Group #6
    competitor #1: D. Soviet Union (La-Maquina)
    competitor #2: B. Germany-B (Peru FC)
    competitor #3: C. Spain Reserves (Titanlux)
    competitor #4: A. Brazil-A (thebigman)
    Group #7
    competitor #1: B. Germany-A (Peru FC)
    competitor #2: D. Fennoscandia (PDG1978)
    competitor #3: C. Brazil Reserves (thebigman)
    competitor #4: A. Italy-A (Titanlux)
    Group #8
    competitor #1: D. Czechoslovakia (Excape Goat)
    competitor #2: C. Rest of South America-B (msioux)
    competitor #3: B. France-A (La-Maquina)

competitor #4: A. Brazil-B (Peru FC)

7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Nice work PDG,

Please, after all squads are announced, can you refresh our minds, with the rules before posting the XI for each match.

I mean, banned players, whom we can ban, or free use of the squad, etc. Thanks

PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, sure. I think I might open two threads - one for rules, squads, info, and discussion; and the other for line-ups (posted by me after they are sent to me by PM), results, updates and standings.

I will probably start a new PM with everyone individually for the purpose of receiving the line-ups and votes.

msioux75 repped this.
  9. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    No. But since the ATWC process has started, there's that one thing that I'd find really annoying and this would be to see too much nazi players in the teams to tell things clearly, as a spectator of this tournament. They sure have existed so it can't be erased in the sense that it can't/ mustn't be denied, but if they can stay away from the teams as much as possible, it would be better I think (though we can't know about each of them, even less for the players of the next generations who would have these same sorts of "ideas", but more or less in a new form).

Now, as a side note, I precise that I post here in this thread but it is clear in my mind that I won't post in the thread that will be dedicated to the ATWC game, as a non-particpant/drafter. That goes without saying.

As for the game that I have in mind, I'd have to make my proposal first to see if it's good and feasible but I'll wait for the ATWC Group Stage is completed at least to do so. It won't require much time to think about the players' picks as the rules are made for the moment (sure this can be made more complex though, why not) but would demand just a little more time than for the "usual AT draft" (like 5 to 20 minutes per round if you know what I mean). But we'll see later, except if you want one preview by PM to give me your impressions and suggestions if first interested, so I can work on it in the meantime.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok mate, yes I understand and you're welcome to send me a PM if you would like and I could let you know what I think yes (I don't mean I am asking you to do it, but if you would like to get some feedback then I'm happy to see what ideas you have by PM definitely).

11. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    OK.

12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But I will remove the Greek guy and replace him with:

AM: Shunsuke Nakamura (Japan)
    Shunsuke Nakamura was a star player at Celtics. He won the SPF Player of the year and SFWA Player of the Year in 2007. Before that, Nakamura began his professional career with J1 League club Yokohama Marinos in 1997. Later, he played with Reggina in Serie A. After he left Celtic, he played briefly for Espanyol. He played in three WC Finals, but he was not selected for the WC in 2002 at home.

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to confirm while you are logged on, that the first game for Portugal will now be against Africa (so you are free to send a new line-up if you want but I will give you time to do it even if I wait a bit after next Sunday before finally submitting your line-up on the new thread).

14. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correct, I didn’t include Hatzipanagis in my provisional Soviet Union squad.

PDG1978 repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Could we have the squads all picked and announced by two days from now, the 24th July?

That would fit ok with the intended schedule, with the opening line-ups being submitted by Sunday the 28th. Thanks.

@La-Máquina @poetgooner @Perú FC @Titanlux @thebigman

I know Titanlux is just waiting on the go ahead to pick Spain Reserves, and thebigman is doing Brazil Reserves after the Brazil draft too of course. But I thought I'd tag you two anyway too!

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll have the Spain lineup tonight. I've had to do more research than anticipated. I thought I could just rely on my knowledge of modern Spain, but the squad is ridiculously unbalanced with like 15 playmakers, and not much else :ROFLMAO:

msioux75 and PDG1978 repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Started the Brazil draft but we have only made one pic each so may take longer

PDG1978 repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I can't allow mixing of your Spanish playmakers and British hard men into Spritish Isles A and B I'm afraid lol. Titanlux would have to merge with thebigman to mix the Spanish hard men (if that's all you're leaving him - I doubt it though!) with British playmakers.

Anyway being serious, that'll be great thanks.

19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe you and Perú FC can find a common window where you can both be online?

What might be the best times for you over the next couple of days?

How about you @Perú FC ? What might be the best times in British Summer Time (it is 8.20am as I type this)?

20. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That's ok for me mate.

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, Peru might be online now actually. I didn't realise when I typed that reply above, but he gave me a rep 6 minutes earlier!

Perú FC repped this.
  22. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I'll be online for the next 3-4 hours.

PDG1978 repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Haha, hello Peru. Great, thanks - do you want to chat with thebigman about a good time to get through the Brazil draft? You can do it on this thread if you like, then everyone can see. I think maybe you are answering this now again lol - I will see shortly!

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Great. @thebigman - maybe you will be able to draft with him in this window?

Just in case Peru, would you be available later on at some times, or tomorrow too? Then if thebigman doesn't get back online soon, there would be other opportunities....

25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Sure, we could do here or continue by PM's.

I just answering him by PM and I am waiting for his next elections if he can at this moment.