Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Other possible amendments:
    - Portugal into Pot A, swapping with South America Reserves/Brazil C
    - Potentially just one Argentina, with Yugoslavia in pot A, making room for separate Denmark and Fennoscandia or Sweden teams.
    - If desired, separate Netherlands and Belgium rather than Benelux A and B, with Hungary in Pot B and Belgium Pot D.
    - Upon request, England and Scotland teams likewise, or instead of Scotland a Rest of Great Britain team, or even Rest of British Isles (including Eire) team. That team, or Fennoscandia, or Denmark, or Sweden could be in Pot B.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I guess we'd need at least 8 people signed up to take part, before attempting such a 32 team tournament anyway.

More than 4 teams per person would seem too much, and 4 could mean one from each pot. Plus less than 8 participants and it probably wouldn't be worthwhile or much fun with such limited involvement.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Trial Draw (actually, the second attempt after I lost the first but I hadn't checked who was ending in which group anyway):

Group #1
    competitor #1: B. Benelux-A
    competitor #2: A. Argentina-B
    competitor #3: D. Poland
    competitor #4: C. Uruguay
    Group #2
    competitor #1: D. Hungary
    competitor #2: B. France-B
    competitor #3: C. Chile
    competitor #4: A. Italy-B
    Group #3
    competitor #1: D. Yugoslavia
    competitor #2: C. South America/Brazil-C
    competitor #3: B. Great Britain&Eire-A
    competitor #4: A. Spain
    Group #4
    competitor #1: C. Africa
    competitor #2: D. Bulgaria-Romania
    competitor #3: B. Benelux-B
    competitor #4: A. Argentina-A
    Group #5
    competitor #1: D. Austria
    competitor #2: B. Great Britain&Eire-B
    competitor #3: A. Portugal
    competitor #4: C. AustralAsia
    Group #6
    competitor #1: D. Soviet Union
    competitor #2: B. Germany-B
    competitor #3: C. Conacaf
    competitor #4: A. Brazil-A
    Group #7
    competitor #1: B. Germany-A
    competitor #2: D. Fennoscandia
    competitor #3: C. Peru
    competitor #4: A. Italy-A
    Group #8
    competitor #1: D. Czechoslovakia
    competitor #2: C. Colombia
    competitor #3: B. France-A
    competitor #4: A. Brazil-B

Source: http://www.randomresult.com/tournament.php

If there were no changes to the entrants list (to include a different team requested, or to amend things back more towards the concept of real national teams eg England, Netherlands etc) I'd be ok to say we'll just use that as the real draw actually.

So I'm not sure if we'll get enough interest to go ahead, but feel free to select a team to be in charge of selections for (at this stage just one, but potentially I'm thinking someone could end up with four teams - no two from the same group and perhaps no two from the same pot A, B, C, or D).

If we get at least a reasonable amount of interest, maybe I'd think about whether it's worth trying to tag others. msioux got enough participants for the 1950 version eventually (when we took multiple teams each)- obviously feel free to try to kick off the 1998 (or 1994?) version msioux too - I'm not meaning to jump the queue with my idea!

I would plan to run any such tournament relatively slowly, but not mega slow. We'd be getting a few days to settle on line-ups and vote on results etc I think anyway so nobody should be unable to take part time wise, but it shouldn't take forever either. Like with the 1950 version, I'm still thinking it wouldn't be so much about all of us competing with each other, but more the fun and interest re: putting the squads together and envisioning the match-ups etc. Obviously when we take on a team we do take charge of how it shapes up though, in terms of players picked and basic tactical ideas (no need to go too much into depth there though possibly).

La-Máquina repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's yet to be established how many of the 'B' Teams would be real reserve selections (potentially even with the same manager) and how many would be having equal status with the 'A' Teams for the same nation/region, after a draft process (manager of 'A' Team having the first pick in the snake draft, but obviously then the manager of the 'B' Team would get the second and third).

As stated before though, I'm thinking Brazil (possibly with South America/Brazil C factored in too after about 10 picks for 'A' and 'B' teams), Germany, Italy and France teams at least would be picked via the snake draft method. It seemed like the preference was for evening out the chances a bit rather than replicating a standard World Cup for All-Time criteria.....hence Great Britain/Eire, Benelux etc too.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I should have typed Great Britain & Ireland of course! I'm not excluding Northern Irish players obviously.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m up for it if we can team up pdg?

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well, even if we didn't team up like before (I might need to be picking teams separately myself to make up the numbers even) you could consult me if you wanted mate. It'd be a bit different to the old drafts we did together as it's more a case of just picking a squad and line-ups for your chosen country, or countries. But if you wanted to run ideas past me, or have me list some names of older players etc by PM that'd be find I think if you want to take part.

You wouldn't necessarily need to include a lot of the older players of course anyway (so it's a bit different to the 1950 version obviously, that msioux arranged before). Although I remember sometimes you know more about a few of them than I did at the time (Voronin of the USSR for example - I'm probably thinking that suggestion was even better than I realised now lol!), as well as about various current gen players (I seem to think we did better if anything in the current player drafts but I forget now!).

Nice to see you are still around on Big Soccer anyway.

Let us know if any of those teams I posted takes your fancy if you like. It's a first come first served allocation policy I suppose really. But like I've said it's going to depend on getting enough people signed up for us to kick it off. It'll be great if you want to be one of them anyway!

thebigman repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just to confirm bigman mate, that for the nations with 'A' and 'B' teams listed, there could be drafting involved, but only between two managers....and no cunning Sheep Draft criteria definitely this time lol! Those nations are the ones with well-known all-time rosters anyway of course.

Probably any drafting could be done at an arranged time when both managers were free, unless more time was requested at a certain stage. But yeah, we could arrange it when I was free too. Like I said our teams are against each other in the tournament, but if someone is not competing for the same players I think advice and consultation in order to get the most satisfactory squad together, knowing most of the options, would be fine. Most people might take nations they will know well though too I guess (so you could take a British team, or a nation that has done great in relatively modern times, and not end up with many older players anyway even).

9. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sign me up, that draw looks balanced to me.

I can manage up to 4 teams, or help with the squads if we’re short.

Random selecting which team we get allocated is fun too.

10. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, that draw did look pretty intriguing in various groups.

Ok, just 4 more drafters needed potentially, although I'm not sure how many teams thebigman would want to take on yet, or for example if me and him did collaborate fully on 4 I would possibly not pick any others myself. So maybe 5 or more extra sign-ups from now would be good. I'll think about doing some tagging of posters who haven't been active on this thread lately, and posting a link to this page on other threads (certainly msioux's thread for the 1950 version) later on today maybe.

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We can do some random selecting perhaps too yeah, for those who'd be fine with it. Anyone can specify selecting a random team (or 2, 3, or 4 of them) among their choices too.

At this stage, like I said before, maybe any one participant should just select 1 team, to give others chances to select too before the favoured choices all get taken. But there might be drafters who are well suited to particular nations for various reasons, including some of the less prominent ones.

13. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. La-Máquina

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    wm442433 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thinking outside the box (the box of normal draft entrants) @Edhardy @carlito86

I know you guys are active on the forum, and maybe this kind of thing would be up your street too. No problem if not but thought I'd make you aware (if you're not already due to browsing the forum).

17. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It sounds like a potentially great draft but I don' t have enough time to join it these days. I' ll watch it closely though. Thanks for tagging me anyway !

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No problem. I'd honestly feel like this particular one wouldn't take up a lot of time, and I wasn't planning on it running very fast. So basically it'd be deciding upon a squad, picking line-ups for the games, and voting on results for other games. I guess all that can be decided upon fairly quickly, unless research was required for a squad (if there was one or two you could do off the top of your head, you'd be welcome to request those).

On that note @Tom Stevens maybe you'd have time too? @Titanlux you could be interested also?

I know you posted on the thread recently @PuckVanHeel but as my other former draft partner (from Poetgooner's FM draft) I thought I'd add you an invite now anyway. @schwuppe I know you did some of the older drafts and have posted more often recently again so maybe you'd like to join in too.

19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, I'd play. Not 100% sure how this works, but I'm sure I'll figure it out along the way.

La-Máquina repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m in then I’ll have a go. Obviously my knowledge is mainly 90s onwards. I guess it may be randomised now with the people here? Obviously the main choices are Italy, Germany, France, Brazil etc so I would definitely want one of them if they aren’t all taken

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I can hold something back from Pot A and/or Pot B for you, no problem.

22. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Thanks for asking, but I'm gonna pass.

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok, thanks for confirming.

24. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Too bad. I will have no internet access starting Thursday for about 10 days. I don't think I can join.