Down to the Wire: U.S. announces U20 World Cup Roster on 5/9/17 (5/20-6/11/2017)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, May 8, 2017.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    According to @bshredder Roster announced on 5/9/2017 midday.
    Thought a new thread would suffice with roster on first page rather than trying to find it amongst almost 500 posts.

Footsatt repped this.
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    by the time we reach midday tomorrow, this thread might already jump to page 2 or 3.:p

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *sees new thread*
    "Oh yes, it's out!"
    *opens thread*
    "SUDano you tease!"

Pl@ymaker, Dough Boy, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Waiting for this roster to be released, let me pose a question. Based on the play of the forwards during the past WC CONCACAF qualifiers, would you hypothetically take Romain Gall (circa 2015 WC CONCACAF qualifying) over the 2017 possibilities to the 2017 U-20 WC?

5. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
  6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romain Gall is a winger, so no. I'd also take a lot of 2017 wingers over 2015 Gall.

Dough Boy repped this.
  7. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    That is true. I guess I viewed him as more of a forward in that tournament, based on where Tab lined him up. Were Ben Spencer and Bradford Jamieson the 2 out and out strikers to get the most PT during the tournament? CONCACAF's website has Jamieson lining up as a midfielder more than I remember. Would you take either of those guys over Ebobisse, Craft, or Sabbi?

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Maybe. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I had high hopes for Spencer and Jamieson, but neither have really gotten going (partly due to injury).

I'm not convinced Craft or Sabbi will be on this WC roster. Ebobisse will, and I'll take him over all the guys you've mentioned. Even though he didn't have a great CONCACAF tournament, he's been really good for the U20s this cycle.

To be honest, I have no clue who Ramos is going to pick for the forwards. If it was me I'd pick Haji Wright, but it doesn't seem like he's in Ramos' plans.

Dough Boy repped this.
  9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Jonathan Klinsmann (University of California; Newport Beach, Calif.), J.T. Marcinkowski (Georgetown; Alamo, Calif.), Brady Scott (De Anza Force; Petaluma, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (7): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake; Salt Lake City, Utah), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur FC; Westcliff-on-Sea, England), Marlon Fossey (Fulham FC; Surbiton, England), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (University of New Mexico; Las Cruces, N.M.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City; Lee's Summit, Mo.), Tommy Redding (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; Wappingers Falls, N.Y.), Luca De La Torre (Fulham FC; San Diego, Calif.), Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union; Philadelphia, Pa.), Eryk Williamson (University of Maryland; Alexandria, Va.), Gedion Zelalem (Arsenal FC; Bethesda, Md.)

FORWARDS (6): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; Bethesda, Md.), Lagos Kunga (Atlanta United FC Academy; Tucker, Ga.) Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Unattached; Columbus, Ohio), Josh Sargent (St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallen, Mo.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Park City, Utah)

Alexisonfire, Sup Bro and Winoman repped this.
  10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Kunga must have looked great during the England camp.

With this roster, how well we do will depend heavily on how well Gedion plays.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I just dropped by to watch the ensuing shit storm or reaction. Carry on....

Winoman and Sup Bro repped this.
  13. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sargent earning a promotion to Staff Sargent with this call up.

Can't wait to see this team in person in about two weeks!

mike4066, Eleven Bravo and Starman* repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ielag repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    it seems like just about everyone from a big time continental euro academy is missing?

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Confident opinions out of U.S. Soccer! :p

Anyway, I'm not all that familiar with the U-20 player pool. For those of you who are, what players are the biggest surprises? Either inclusions or exclusions, except for the Schalke contingent.

Or, if there aren't a ton of surprises, who are the best players not included?

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps it's possible because Sargent doesn't have a club. If he did maybe the club could then refuse to release him for both.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me about it! They "believe" and "think" that he can play in both? What a joke. We have idiots running the show.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a horrible lineup.....I probably won't watch it now that he left our best players off....what a fkn idiot

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  20. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like he didn't even ask for Haji. How do I put myself in the running for Tab's job?

Eleven Bravo and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  21. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is your New Jersey accent?

How many USSF employees are you friends with?

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #23 ussoccer97531, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Its relatively okay defensively. Only complaints are no Farfan (LB), and the depth choices are not the best (Herrera, Acosta over Borges, Cannon, Olosunde). Vom Steeg should've been picked over Klinsmann, but Tab probably feels the need to do his old boss a favor.

The midfield and attack is the main problem. The three Schalke players are big misses, especially McKennie and Wright. No Pulisic, but thats obvious, most didn't think he'd be released. Then there are problems with no Perez, Akale, Pomykal, Lewis. And if you were going to call in a U-17, Sargent was not the player to call in. Lagos Kunga is a complete lol decision. This is his Javan Torre pick this cycle. You could probably think up 10 or more players at his position who belong on this team before Kunga. His scoring record in the U-18 DA is mediocre, and he's old for the league. He's not a professional yet for a reason. Would've made more sense to call in Brandon Vasquez who scored the other week for Atlanta's first team instead of a player on their U-18 team who isn't even doing so well at that level.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have officially lost my shit.

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I don't disagree but Kunga is a left footed winger and Vazquez is a CF. Kunga making the prelim roster would've been a little head scratching, let alone making the actual WC roster.