Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    this little exchange was triggered by you saying "A ball off the defenders head that instantly pings into someone's hand a foot away, that's a call that would be overturned. Pretty obvious." and claiming that VAR would have overruled the ref.

I raised the e.g. of the CL Final penalty to make the point that a whole boatload of pens call are not "obvious" - and that one was a great example.

do you ever read post-game comments from ex-players and ex-refs, when there's been a controversial game decision? the guys who are experts (do this shit for a living) can't agree on close pen calls after staring at slo-mo's for hours. you stating that "it's obvious" to bolster your love of VAR is simply an opinion stated as fact. obvious to you doesn't = obvious to everyone else, or anyone else.

think of the Spurs-City CL game where Spurs forward knocked the ball in after it hit his hip/hand. you can look at replays forever and it's still not at all obvious if it was handball or not (VAR allowed it).

as for the date of the doc I linked .... totally irrelevant - the handball rule hasn't changed in decades !!!!!!

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #102 EruditeHobo, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    I thought we weren't talking about this? But yes, of course it doesn't matter. The rules around fouls aren't about intent. But again a VAR review probably would have wiped it away, anyways.

There are lots of reasons VAR might not overrule a difficult 50/50 call. This can happen, especially if it involves a goalkeeper for lots of reasons that perhaps aren't in the letter of the law. I haven't seen this clip and can't find it on youtube, but I'll assume that it doesn't include an attacker stepping in front of the ball and then getting kicked in the back of the leg leg. Both elements of that scenario are described in the rules. It's a pretty obvious foul if we're going by the laws.

If anything similar happens this year, let's see what VAR does! And not like Sam's version of similar. Let's stick to actually similar.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #103 EruditeHobo, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Yeah, you brought up a bad example because of how different the situations are, they are just very different kinds of incidents. Find one that looks like the Panama penalty and you might have a point.

A ball, hit from 5 feet away and then sort of swatted down by an away-from-body hand/arm, even if it kind of goes off his ribcage a little bit... I don't think that's in the same category as what I'm talking about, at all.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it changed June 1st. And on top of that, you left out a big part of the rule that has to do with exemptions.

5. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just VARd my last glass of wine. Wasn’t sure if I drank it or not. We are 2 hours from Rome. I hope I didn’t drink it.

usscouse and el-capitano repped this.
  6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I know it changed - the new rule isn't in effect yet.

show me where the Laws discuss exemptions.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not trying to compare two incidents that are (arguably) identical.

the issue here is you saying an event is an "obvious" pen that VAR would have caught, as a way to bolster your VAR viewpoint.

there are very few pens that are not debatable - and often they are extremely debatable even by unbiased experts. decisions from VAR reviews are frequently just as subjective as real-time calls, and always will be. for every spectator who says "nailed-on pen!" there's another (maybe sitting right next to him) who says "no, he dived!", VAR doesn't, and won't, eliminate that.

if it could, VAR decisions wouldn't require multiple sets of eyes, multiple multi-angle replays, and so much time, and would eliminate controversy.

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never argued VAR fixes 50/50 calls... in fact I've said quite the opposite a number of times. Regardless of that, as much as 50/50 calls will never go away, neither will obvious calls. Sometimes, things ARE obvious when it comes to the structure of the rules.

I'm done with this; Panama were screwed by a shit call, and anyone is free to disagree. That's fine.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NO IT'S NOT!!!

Sorry, just wanted to get in on the yelling...

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR in 2nd half of USA-ENG... refs missed it, VAR gets it correct. Doesn't take long. Good job WWC VAR refs on keeping the time down.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another VAR, tough call. There is contact on the striking leg, could see it going either way.

She gives the pen. Took too long for me, but England certainly deserved it. They've been much better in the 2nd half.

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Did they miss it or did they just keep their flags down. Looks to me the ref was waiting for the decision to come down.
    I was with friends and said that one will come back, looked offside to me. At least 2"

The second one was a lot harder, My first thought was she whiffed it, but the view from behind made it so. and the silly b**h missed :)

7 minutes added on. I cudda had a shower by then.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    bump

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    excellent article, followed by very interesting comments ...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...oul-var-era-controversy-copa-america-football

The thought that VAR may end controversy has proved laughably misguided; if anything it has made the controversies worse because incidents that would have been seen as a referee making an understandable call in a difficult situation are perceived as being part of a wider failure of process, which is a small step from all-out conspiracy.
    This is another outcome of VAR: no one, no matter how much football they have watched, can quite trust their eyes. The instinct players, referees and viewers have built up over years, the sense that something just looks like a foul, no longer applies. Worse, the law is different at different times and in different parts of the pitch. Some things – incidents in the box or leading to a goal – will be checked, creating strict liability; others will not. It used to be that a shove on the halfway line would bring a whistle but you could probably get away with it in the box; now the polarities have reversed and the slightest contact in the box is liable to bring sanction.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    interesting and relevant facts to ponder ...

Tennis
    2 players - playing area about 2,100 sq ft - 11 officials at top matches
    Basketball
    10 players - playing area about 4,700 sq ft - 3 officials (NBA)
    Football
    22 players - playing area varies, but minimum is about 45,000 sq ft - 3 officials, 2 of whom can't enter the field of play

can anyone guess what could be done to improve officiating, without resorting to VAR?

hmmmm ....??

anyone .... ??

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're saying you want more officials on the field of play, meeting to discuss decisions, taking time away from active play in order to get the calls right? You realize you're talking about a WORSE version of VAR, right?

Google "ifab laws of the game handball", if you want the exemptions... they're clearly listed.
    I already quoted the relevant exemption for you in a previous post.

delaynomo repped this.
  17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can't "wait for VAR"... VAR tells them if they missed something. They allowed the goal and didn't flag the attacker offside, because it was close... still seems like a miss, to me? What else would you call it? To be fair it's an understandable miss, this is not the kind of play that VAR was designed for necessarily, but since she was offside I'm glad it caught it.

As for the pen, I honestly thought she just whiffed it too... took a replay to see the contact.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    What else would I call it? I'd call it close and the ar kept the flag down for var confirmation.

I don't know exactly when they should keep the flag down. Do you know the actual ruling on that. Some do keep it down when it's close like that one.
    Some keep it down even when it's an obvious call.

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's a law or general guideline drilled into them... as I think about it maybe that's what the linesperson did. I haven't taken a 2nd look at it, but being it's so close maybe I just assumed it was a miss by the refs. Maybe that's why it was such a quick check, they/she suspected it might be off?

It's hard to say.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    In the early days of us Sawker. 2 refs on the pitch was tried. 1 for each half. Each with full control of their half, no discussions.
    But then they tried a lot of things out because dumb Mericans are not smart enough to follow the laws of association football.

But then Amercans watch the game with the most rules and sub sections of those rules Evan. :)

I asked google how many rules are there in an NFL game. The answer 17...! But not one reply have a definitive answer for all the variances. Im pretty certain the average us sports fan would never have a problem with the laws of footy once explained. All one had to do is coach kids and you'll see how fast.

OK. Back to VAR. someone explain that to me. :)

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did Zach get your login or something?

usscouse repped this.
  22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    giving it some thought but I may well go that route, yes. this appeals to me:

> ref isn't sure so asks ARs for input -- or one of the 4 AR's give him a shout about a missed call
    > if after discussion ref is still unsure ref alone decides if HE then needs to look at a TV on the sideline
    > ref watches replay (or not)
    > ref makes the decision
    > done

advantages:
    - same process as now, with added advantage of 2x the ARs so 66% better view of events
    - no chance of play being stopped and play called back after the VARs have finished arguing and finally alerted the ref
    - eliminates the total BS scenario of teams being called back onto the pitch!
    - fans know wtf is going on at all times

EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you're advocating for:

1. More people on the pitch, who have their own opinions and are presumably spaced out over the pitch... so the ref, when he's surrounded by players, needs to run around the pitch talking to all these guys? Or they have a meeting at the center circle?
    2. None of them have multiple angles, just their own POV of the play? So you're still leaving out things which can occur in a crowd of bodies which only replays would spot?

Isn't it easier to just put more people in the VAR booth? I'm really confused, this just seems like a really shitty version of VAR. I thought you wanted fewer stoppages? This seems to guarantee more stoppages and ref meetings.

delaynomo repped this.
  24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You'll never (or rarely anyway) catch me arguing about the minutiae of a right and wrong call. I may disagree anout a close call, but what's the point of trying to microscope such a thing.
    Now, microscoping why I would toss out VAR is much easier ...
    starting with the point of what's the point of going into a thing any deeper than th eview of the linesman and the referee.
    The main gist of Hobo's original argument was for it to counteract those few glaring occasions when your team (or any team) gets totally screwed.
    Whereas, most of these recent discussions are being conducted over (as Sam stated) the kinds of things where experts find it hard to agree a half hour later in the discussion studio...
    Hardly the stuff of fan-crucifixion-agonistes.... mostly.... no - it's mostly the stuff of bore-me-stupid........

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    in case you mix me up with Sam, I'm advocating for 1 ref, 2 linesmen and a 4th official...with a camera on the goal-line ...
    that's the one I like...
    ;)