Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To someone like Caesar, the smallest wrong might likely be "clearly" wrong.
    To someone like Fredo Corleone, there might be some vacillation in his opinion....

as Burning 247 said .... ugh .....
    man, oh man .....:rolleyes:

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand how this is any different... this is just making explicit how things were pretty much always working, isn't it? They are just getting the more specific language in there in order to guard against people that claim that there's no logic to their decisions. Anyways, I like the penalty changes. I don't think adjusting as quickly as possible and trying to make VAR better ASAP is a bad thing. Those changes you bolded seem to improve the mechanic overall, as far as I can tell. Don't see the problem.

How would you know?

Delay just demonstrated the subjectivity with regard to interpretation of the word "dissent". And words, by the way, do not have one single meaning... they have usages, often times many usages. The word "dissent" has multiple meanings, and is interpreted by referees with regard to player behavior. This is obvious, this is how the law is taught to refs, it's how the law is utilized in leagues around the world.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This is obvious.
    Yes, of course, I agree - but the question still is - is/was the rule-book written to accommodate that? Or is it just being done because it evolved that way because that is the best way to do things? I'm not arguing that what refs do is not the best possible approach. It most likely is.
    I'm trying to assess whether they are arbitrarily doing this in spite of the rules. It seems an interesting question to me - and I honestly don;t know why its being asked should engender such automatic hostility to it as a question......
    (Except that it leads directly to the question: - does a rule have to be followed?)

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you didn't just ask the question zaq... you suggested people were wrong for claiming there's a difference between two rules which, by direct comparison, are very obviously different. Then you went and did your obtuse thing, danced around it for a few pages, started using alliteration, playing word games, ignoring the meat of responses to your possts, and then eventually began referencing Lewis Carroll.

The answer to your question is that yes, that accommodation is built into the rules in a number of ways. If you'd simply asked that in a straightforward way a number of pages ago (instead of asserting you were right when you weren't) I'm almost certain there would be much less "hostility".

Eventually I'm confident you're going to come to the conclusion that to opine on the rules one must READ the rules.
    But maybe I'm just a ********ing idiot.

5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Have you two ever met face to face?

el-capitano repped this.
  6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Possibly at the Kezar Pub?

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're former lovers.

8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :eek: - :D - :ROFLMAO:

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it shows.

el-capitano repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I was under the impression that zaq was using Messi's "creative free kick ball placement when he scored against us as an example of how VAR could / should be used, which you refuted/argued with/whatever.

I could be wrong, mind you, I barely skim 99% of the exchanges you 2 have.

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I strongly doubt that most of the posters on here have read the rules (and yet they all comment.... why am I different?)
    Most Americans see fit and have a right to comment on the country's laws, without actually reading them all - or even the constitution..... So, there's that ....

Hmmm.....You may not have dug that question out of there initially, but that really is what I was asking. I'm still asking because I can't find the damn specific rule that disputed the one I copied.... So (I don't know) I might well be right and you might be wrong in saying that gradation (which I agree that the refs do use) is supposed to be in use here. It may be good that it is in use, but that says nothing about whether, by the letter of the law, (which I can't take the time to find and you wont bother to produce) it is supposed to be!
    The difficulty starts in conception:
    The rules are as you say, different by direct comparison, but they are similar (if) they happen to set absolute limits on measurement of items.
    An offside and a handball - viewed limit = any.
    A disagreement with the referee's decision - spoken limit = any. (If that is the rule as it is written, which is how the one I posted was written - it doesn;t include gradation or common sense, and we'd be having those 8-10 yellow cards every week/every game that you asked

For about three weeks until everyone figured out it might be best to actually shut up.....

In any case - look - does it matter. I was just intrigued by it - not setting out on a crusade of change....

Bring on Arsenal.. maybe Pierre Emerick buymangythingy will have an offside nostril hair or omething for us to talk about next weekend....

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yawwn......!!!!

When is our next match, so we can talk fresh VAR screw ups.

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richarlison throws himself to ground trying to draw a pen... denied by VAR. Michael Oliver had it called correctly though.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one else keeps suggesting they are right when they are wrong but are too lazy to do a google search to double check (or in your case, single-check. No one else argues so obtusely. Look at the rest of this post of yours! Look at the 2nd paragraph... it's nonsense.

Yeah, that's right. I just don't know what at all that has to do with the VAR rule adjustments you quoted.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you've been trying to parse zaq's gibberish too long. what I posted is exactly on point ....
    "For factual decisions (e.g. location of an offence,[eg where the foul took place that led to Messi's FK goal !) ........the VAR must inform the referee if there is clear replay evidence."

there was 100% clear video evidence that Messi walked the ball about 10 yards closer to our goal. according to this, the VAR should have called it back.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, even if it did in the future VAR certainly didn't at the time apply to what Messi did, the little ********.

This rule you're quoting, I think this is talking about the fact that VAR intervenes to make sure the location of an offense, ie where an attacker is fouled, is inside or outside of the box. If it were to apply to what Messi did, they'd have to walk back the entire currently advertised purpose of VAR.

VAR still only applies to: offsides, red cards, penalties, penalty infringement, and mistaken identity. Until they have a clearly-worded change to THAT, I don't see how this throw-away line regarding "location" can possibly be about any foul that occurs anywhere on the pitch.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We broke up because he wanted to Video the Wedding.....
    ;)

Wingtips1, usscouse and EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Look - whether it should have been or not at the time, it could be used without any element of disruption to the VAR as it already exists.
    Th eonly sane argument I can think of against this would be the slippery slope fear .... which is fair enough as a defence of the goodwill of VAR ... but this particular case is a case of what it really could do well.....

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    zaquq doesn'tt speath gubberish.... youuse yanker.....

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I hope you covered the mirrors in the bedroom...... Eeeuck!

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    IFAB clearly stated that this bulletin was a clarification of the intent of the rule, i.e. not any kind of expansion of the rule.
    (and a really great example of why I hold a deep-seated hatred of VAR - it's being introduced on this ridiculous adhoc trial-and-error basis into games at the highest level.)

you are assuming facts not in evidence - or put another way, you're inferring what you want to infer from the wording. I've no idea why, other than you just want to be bloody argumentative.
    I'm taking their wording at face value. if it was only referring to in/out of the box, why would it simply just say that? (answer: it would) and "walking back the entire currently advertised purpose of VAR" is what this is doing !

you're saying that on VAR - THE absolute most contentious rule change in the history of the game - they'd issue a clarification with throw-away wording? come on now, get real man. the Messi goal is EXACTLY the kind of clear and obvious error (it lead to a goal in a CL semifinal ffs!!) that VAR is supposed to address.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've tried taking my words "at face value" before as well, and you've failed in your interpretation of them because you missed their context. Similarly the words here are in a context. For them to suddenly expand VAR to every single dead ball seems really, really weird... that's what they're doing, if your interpretation of the rule is correct. Which would be very weird considering their entire intent for VAR has been to keep it minimal and apply it only to specific situations.

So, where did you copy-paste that text from? Put a link in here, perhaps the context will tell us more.

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #423 EruditeHobo, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    From your own link Sam, in the original post:

Here's the full excerpt... the selective application of VAR according to the rules is reinforced in the 1st paragraph:

So, again... how does this apply to the Messi situation?

Link:
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...remier-league-rule-changes-clarified-16797868

24. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do any of you think Manure got screwed yesterday? Do any of you give a sh*t? :)

25. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    Do I give in to schadenfreude? In the case of manure, hell yes.