Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Easily fills the 10 role. Plus Bruno maybe a better presser than we realize. He isn't in a pressing system no so who knows.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I’m not denying any of that. I was just saying we’d struggle in some areas if we replaced Jesse with Bruno and our midfield stayed the same. Although, maybe it doesn't the added threat and penetrative passing/dribbling will make us more solid by pushing teams back? I dunno.

Mainly my comment about Jesse being helpful to our midfield and Bruno being more of an SS was probably worded wrong. I should have voiced it as continued fear for the long term health of the team if we don't start playing Garner and Levitt or buy actual midfielders.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...d-alert-atletico-madrid-prepare-consider-85m/

Not sure I buy him being available in January either, unless there is something we are not privy to and he's desperate to leave somehow. Perhaps that would explain Atleti ready to lower their asking price.
    At any rate, if we can get him, whether it's in January or the summer, we better hope that they club does its utmost to get that deal done, as he's close to the ideal guy to offset Pogba's potential departure.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Time for Atletico to sell off their assets and build a new team that wont win shit.

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Mirror says Haaland has chosen us, so that is a nailed on certainty then :)

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If true, we should just pivot towards Werner. Try for January or next summer. The competition will be fierce for him as well but he's sure worth the try.

7. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Romano, United, Juve, RBL and Dortmund have all placed bids for Haaland. The most important thing for him is to play and be a starter: that will be a big factor in determining where he goes.
    He also claims that he's going to be making his decision soon, with his family and Raiola.

If playing time and being a regular one of the big factors for him, you can almost rule Juve out, with CRon and even Higuaín in his way. As far as we are concerned, there is Martial (at least in the early going).
    At RBL, he could face stiff competition from Werner (but probably not for long as he's on his way out). Poulsen and Schick are others as well (although he'd be expected to see them off in short order).
    Dortmund have only Alcacer as the one recognized 9 they have. And he does not even start regularly, with Reus seeing plenty of time at that spot.
    In terms of more guaranteed playing, that would look like the best bet for him. No doubt one that Raiola will try steering him towards: stay there anywhere between 3-5 seasons, then make a move towards a big club for the really big money (when he'll still be just anywhere between 22-25yrs old).

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would love to get Haaland. With his potential and Martial frequently injured I’m sure he would get minutes. But if the kid really wants minutes and to progress to the next level he should stay where he is or join Dortmund. Plus I don’t love putting another young roadblock in front of Greenwood even though we need reinforcements at 9.

10. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any teenager demanding starts to come to United can go do one. He’d get plenty of playing time for sure but he won’t start game in game out. If he wants to go to a club like United he must adjust his expectations accordingly.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Give all the moneys to Sancho. If we want a guy that can take us to the next level and is actually available to us, it’s him. There will be other big suitors and he’ll cost a fortune, but him being English at least gives us a chance. A front 3 of him, Rash, and Martial is genuinely scary. Try and get a midfielder this winter and then Sancho and a few more quality CMs in the summer.

12. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm curious what the consensus view of Martial is at this moment. He has had a free run as the starting #9 this year and the returns have been mediocre so far. Yes, the team has real issues in creativity and build up, but he's only averaging a goal every ~2.5 games in the league which isn't close to good enough to be locking down that spot except that he really has no competition at the moment with Rashford clearly performing better at LW and Mason (despite some very nice cameos) obviously not ready to take the full-time #9 job.

Do people see him as a first 11 player here long-term? I always did, but the fact that he still hasn't really kicked on as he moves into his mid-20s despite ample opportunity makes me question it. I think if we miss on Haaland we should be looking at other #9s to at least make sure we have more real competition at that position.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #163 Ashur, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    I like Haaland and believe he's a big time talent in waiting. But in a straight choice between him and Sancho, I'd go with Sancho. On top of fulfilling our need for a top tier right sided forward, he would provide goals and assist we need upfront (he's looking pretty much like a lock for 30 goals and assists minimum). We need to add creativity wherever we can get it and he clearly fits the bill from that aspect.
    His presence would allow us to use James as an alternative when one of the regulars needs a rest, goes down with an injury or as an impact sub off the bench.
    At the rate he's going now, the number of suitors for him are sure to be numerous, but, as stated, he really could have a major transformative effect on the team (more than Haaland probably ever would).
    If the talk of a cut rate price for Haaland are true (and we are extremely lucky to boot) perhaps we could end up with both (nice Christmas time dream, I suppose). At any rate, Sancho should be our main target and if it's going to happen in the summer, that deal needs to be done ideally before the Euros also, if possible.

No argument though that we need to add a quality CF if possible, by virtue of adding competition and options to Martial (not out of bounds to argue that he may be coasting right now at times, bc he has no one to push him). Greenwood is still a little ways away from being ready, yet he's the only other 9 we have. There are viable (and relatively cost effective) options if we can't Haaland, like Werner or Dembele for starters, but there are others also.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #164 MizzouMUFC, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    I think he can be a top 5 striker in the league if he can just stay healthy for a full season. However, his health record and being relatively unproven as a starting 9 means we need to buy some competition for that role. I would love Haaland but I don’t think coming here is his best move unless he’s willing to fight Martial for the starting role. The good thing is that Ole has shown so far that he will play the best players and isn’t overly loyal to guys that aren’t performing.

Haaland would be especially good because he’s a different type of 9 and would bring a different look to our team. Better in the box and gives us some aerially ability.

thenamestsam repped this.
  15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Tony needs some time. He's been played LW for most of his time here and he is showing that he can make the types of runs he needs to make to score ugly goals. We know he's capable of the sublime. He needs some competition and rest and to remain fit for a good long period. If/when that happens, I think we'll begin to see the best from him.

topnoevili and thenamestsam repped this.
  16. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im little disappointed with Martial, i know our lack of creativity means he has to drop little deeper to get balls and bring others to play but sometimes his lack of effort and disinterested attitude pisses me off specially when as team we are not playing well and he gets disorientated and doesnt make effort or runs which are pre requisite for 9. He has been in and out but im all for backup 9 to keep him on his toes and imo he is one of those players who lacks self motivation.

19. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im willing to give Martial the season to prove that we should buy his back up and oppose to his replacement. IE a Ben Yedder vs Timo Werner.

I consider myself a big Martial fan, but he has annoyed me with several things:

1. He comes off ass lazy sometimes. There was a play in the Colchester game in the 1st half where Ashley Young received the ball on the right wing 30 or so yards from goal. He looks up for an option and Martial is closest apart from Greenwood. Young clearly looks at Martial and he just stands there instead of checking to the ball or shielding his defender. Like he's sleeping

2. He's probably our 2nd or 3rd best finisher, but he has been careless in front of goal. Rashford gets a lot of chances and misses, but Martial gets a few too. There are at least 1 or 2 chances where i feel Martial should score and he doesnt. Granted we should be feeding him more.

3. I think he can be more aggressive when he has the ball. Wether its running or turning his man.

I will say this, Lingard, Mata, James and to a lesser extent Rashford have all been guilty of ignoring him. Like Johno said he makes the right runs as far as attacking crosses, the crosses just dont come. Rashford has decides to shoot from impossible angles at least 4 or 5 times this year when Martial was waiting for a tap in.

Martial could probably have 5 more goals in those situations.

Our attack is just too immature. Its frustrating at the moment.

jnielsen, JC7rox, topnoevili and 3 others repped this.
  20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Martial is our 2nd or 3rd best finisher, then who is our first?

21. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Greenwood.

2nd is about right. Not 3rd.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That’s fair.

23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    benni... repped this.
  24. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tyler Adams could be an interesting option for us if he continues his progression the remainder of the season... Just, you know, my completely unbiased opinion.

Deadtigers and jnielsen repped this.
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So what do folks think about our CB situation?

I remain unconvinced by Maguire. He's very tidy on the ball but his defensive work is shit and he's slower than molasses. I think he needs to be paired w/ a defender who wants to tackle everything moving. In many ways, he'd be better off playing next to AWB as the RCB.

Anyway... I digress, have we given up on Bailly? Do we want to bring Mike back as the 3rd or 4th CB? Do we sell high?

I assume everyone would be happy to be rid of Jones and Rojo but if we also sell Smalling (we will never get more than we will now with him playing pretty well currently) what is our plan for the future?

Rank our CBs...

In my mind we have a weird group and few natural pairings.

Maguire/Bailly would be a good pairing, but after that, I think Tuanzebe is best suited to partnering Maguire, but I would really like to see Tuanzebe and Lindelof for a run of games. Neither is an elite passer like Maguire but neither has an obvious flaw and they are both good communicators. Teams wouldn't be able to expose us for pace simply by being on Harry's side of the pitch on a counter attack. That would work well with our pressing game.