Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to a report from The Athletic, United have dropped their interest in Mandzukic. Good news tbh if this proves to be factual. We need depth upfront but a 33yr old Mandzukic was really the solution.
    Getting him on loan for the remainder of the season might have been an option but still that as backup at best, if other/better ones fell thru.

2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No - was intentional, dont think he works that well there. Prefer him LWF.

Similar with Mason who I see as more of a #9

We have people who we can put at RWF but only Chong for whom it is their main position.

Sancho has been RWF for Dortmund and England as his main position. Would love us to have a true RWF as have been wanting one for years. Perisic may not have been the right choice but Mou was dead right about our attack needing more balance.

3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it should be one or the other but I wonder if this means they are confident in signing Haaland.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm relatively confident that we'll end up with one of Haaland or Sancho next summer. Knowing the club and Woodward, he's going to want to make a splash. Those 2 players are top, generational talents, who fit the bill in what we appear to be doing now, plus I'm sure that Ole will sign off on either player.
    Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't put much stock on us having any real chance at landing that type of player but things at this time look to be lining up nicely for us to do so. Things are not going well for Sancho in terms of his relationship with Dortmund, especially with Favre, and he looks desperate to leave.
    Other clubs will go for him but I think he wants to return to England for now and the best options for him now, from my point of view, would be us or Chelsea. Chelsea still haven't recorded any real interest apparently as of yet. Not to mention that with guys like Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Mount among others already there, would he go over there or would they go for him (as they might want to look at other areas to spend big)?
    I guess Pool might be an option, but I think they could be considered a real legit option if one of Salah or Mane moves on. We might be in a poor situation, but we are still be enough of a marquee name (and have the financial clout) to possibly sell him on the idea to come and be a central part of our current rebuild.
    Conversely, I could see us going for Haaland. I get the concerns about how he'd fit into the team as it is presently (in regards to how it would impact Martial's place or Greenwood's development).
    But the previous relationship with Ole, him apparently wanting to go to England, the fact that he simply would offer something different (and possibly at another level) than what we have now, plus the fact that guy has superstar potential both on and off the pitch, will make him sought after by Woodward.
    There are rumors that RBL have first right of refusal on him also, so there's that to consider, as I can't see them passing up on him if they have the opportunity to grab him.
    After 2 summers of relatively low net spending, coupled with the fact that we still are struggling to compete with the top teams, there is little doubt that Woodward will want to be doing it big in the market next summer. Still need plenty more obviously, especially if Pogs were to leave unfortunately but I see us landing one of those 2.

5. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    So you want to put only player who can ping decent crosses at LWF ? Wont mind Sancho but we desperately need Inverted RWF...

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I understand the desire for an inverted RWF. I do not understand it paired with wanting James played at RWF. You know he's the opposite of that right? Also, presumably you'd be okay with an inverted LWF since you want one on the right. Please... explain your thinking.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sancho is both-footed enough I consider him to be effectively an inverted RWF - he will play narrow and attack the goal. Like I said he plays that position as his main position.

Conventional (right-footed) wingers in that position are a little wasted as we dont have a Lukaku type anymore and I believe in the modern game that type of width tends to come from the fullbacks.

James being mostly right-footed tends to be a conventional winger that side and less effective for me.

8. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    lol so we're still banking on the fact his dad is apparently a United fan to get him here.

or that he's homesick. whatever it takes though. if it's possible go for it

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  9. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    When did i ever said both James and Inverted rWF would be in a starting 11 ? Its all about balancing the squad with variety of players. James can play both flanks but he can put decent crosses in box so james at RWF make sense but that doesnot mean we dont need to sign inverted RWF.

10. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to shit on this thread, but why on God's green earth would any talented young player want to commit their future to this club right now? Philosophically, tactically, we have no direction. I know the almighty $ can sway a player, but I can't see the motivation in joining our side right now. Not trying to be a dick, legitimately want to know what you guys think.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why do men marry single moms?

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  12. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't control who you fall in love with, but right now we're a single mom with lots of KIDS and a lot of baggage. It would take a special player to take on this situation right now.

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, I don't know what you are talking about. Paired wasn't meant to mean on the pitch at the same time, I meant, holding both beliefs at the same time. Sancho is better than almost any inverted RWF in the game right now. He's certainly better than any inverted RWF we can get. If we can get Sancho, we get him. Period.

We can play him RWF, we can play him 10. We can play him wherever. James is a project. He's not determining our long term strategy assuming we have one.

14. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cant disagree that we are a tough sell these days, felt like that when for example the initial horror at having to move to us dawned on Dybala :) Think it depends in part on a players circumstances - in particular what option they have at other big clubs, where they want to play and whether there are players at a club that would limit their games.

Sancho there is maybe more chance because he is from Manchester and has already turned his back on City. Haaland feels less likely if he gets offers from other big clubs. Bruno Fernandez for example would probably have been picked up by now if RM, Bayern, Juve etc were interested.

The lack of much competition from our current squad is probably our biggest draw besides $ :)

Deadtigers and LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    What i said or failed to make you understand is that
    -- I have no objection on Sancho but but but if we could get someone like Ziyech who can also play LWF 10 RWF he would be more valuable to squad.

James would be a very good squad player.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not bad for a guy who is, in a real way, currently in the doghouse with his club.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  17. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Sancho is from London. Watford Academy.

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  18. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Erm, Sancho can play LWF 10 RWF.

I've never understood your position on Sancho.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    •I prefer Inverted RWF than right footed RWF. Silva, Ziyech, Salah

•I have no objection if we sign Sancho

•Its just my opinion and you have right to oppose

•Which part is confusing?

20. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    How the more you talk about Sancho the less it seems you know about him.

21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stand corrected - my bad.

Hopefully though the fact he is English, was in Manchester at 14 and turned his back on the bitters means the point is still valid that he would want to return and hopefully to us :)

benni... repped this.
  22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Maybe i dont know, care to provide your insights??

23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You say he can play 10 as if he's ever played there before.

Anyhow, lets play without a 10. Even if Pogba leaves.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sancho is the best available talent at either wing position that we have a shot at. Period. He plays RW and gets goals and assists so to me, it doesn't matter that he's right footed because the only balance I care about is penetration and productivity. He's a good enough dribbler, passer and decision maker to provide those things on the right. But to say you don't want to sign Sancho because you rate James ability to provide assists from the right is crazy. Sancho has 6 assists in 11 games playing RW.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sancho is an elite creator. If we aim to play in a formation without a 10, and we should, then players like him are exactly who we should be targeting. Sancho, a decent backup 9, and reload the midfield and we're a much, much better team.

Deadtigers repped this.