Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very wary of any DoF story, but if and when Ed ever does select a DoF - given his decision history, recruitment history and judgement on football matters ..

Then what are the odds he would actually get this right? First time? At all? :)

jnielsen and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Different situation entirely obviously (being that English players will always be more expensive) but fundamentally they are correct and we can't fault them for standing their ground on this tbh, especially with their demands really not unreasonable based on what we know/have seen from the player. United trying to be clever and take advantage of Sporting's current financial circumstances, when they're nothing but incredibly shortsighted.
    I don't want this to blow in our faces because it's not in our interest for it to, but at the same time, you can't be surprised if it were to happen. And again, for what ultimately: saving a few millions? For a club like us (with all the cash we generate) and more to the point, given in our current situation on the pitch, the club's behavior has been a disgrace as far as I'm concerned.
    I mean, if you really want to be pragmatic about it: how much more money the club is going to lose when we fail to reach the CL again. Which will probably not happen if we don't get reinforcements this week. Bring in Fernandes and a serviceable striker (just on loan for the remainder of the season) and even Ole might have a chance to secure CL football for next season. Without that, we can forget it, unless all the teams around us wet the bed somehow...
    In the end, not sure if that tactic from Sporting will work: pretty sure that the personal terms which are said to be already agreed upon, must be very sweet as far as Fernandes is concerned...

3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    may have been covered already but we risk him getting swept up by another club. i actually thought PSG would have taken him already.

unless we have some first refusal agreement or some crap from the Nani loan or whatever that we know insulates us from a last minute snatch and grab.

it's risky right now. deadline day is when panic sets in and clubs do stuff that's way out of the norm.

i don't think holding them to ransom is good for future negotiations either

would much rather that scenario play out than one where we miss out totally. money in the bank doesn't benefit the club at all. not an extra £10m or £60m.

ideally tell Jude whoever to fxck off and add that to the Bruno offer

Anonymous_United repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. I can easily see another big club coming in last minute and being decisive and getting it wrapped up in a day or two while we continue to send lowball offers with unrealistic performance add-ons.

Deadtigers and Anonymous_United repped this.
  5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Panicking and doing dumb s*** outside the norm each transfer window is the norm for us

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well then hopefully we panic and buy Bruno because right now the expected norm is that we won't

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #707 Ashur, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020

Hopefully his last stat sheet with Sporting...Doesn't look like the most polished of games, by his standards. Still showed qualities and characteristics we are in desperate need of.

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, 2 defensive signings plus a championship player punt in the summer window is all last 12 months.

On the other side of the balance sheet, 8 players have gone last 12 months (one this window) and we currently have 3 key first-team players recently gone long term sick.

A few days left of the window and still nobody in.

Can we please ban the phrase “rebuild” to describe this?

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Very unsure we will get any DOF good or bad. Or if we do what difference it will make.

Its become clear in recent years is how much Ed loves the footballing side of things. Loves the transfers. Probably squiggles FM lineups on napkins in his spare time. Loves the glitz and glamour of it and is attracted to those types of signings.

He clearly doesn't want a DOF. He's had years to get one. Even if he gets one in I would assume until proven otherwise that Ed would still be heavily involved / interfere with the DOF.

In the clip with Liew he mentions that Ed refered to United as Disneyland when he met with Klopp. That rings quite true for me. He probably does feel like everyday he's in Disneyland. Playing with his toys.

It's almost hard to blame him. As United fan with no professional footballing experience, if some random American billionaire gave me a job for life as CEO of United for no valid reason, I would probably get carried away. I suspect a lot of us would.

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think most of us here would show some kind of improvement at our jobs in 8 years, though. Except Mizzou. He’s the dumbest cvnt.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stop pretending that you could hold down a job for 8 years you lazy twat.

12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I totally agree that he doesn’t want a DOF. If he did, there’s been ample time and opportunity to appoint one.

I think Woodward loves the attention he gets as the director of one of the biggest clubs in the world. Despite all the hate he gets, he still gets attention and I don’t think he’ll let that go anytime soon. The only way I could see him appoint a DOF would be if the calls for his head get so widespread that he hires a DOF to deflect attention. But even if he does that it’ll be a meaningless role since he’ll make sure they still answer to him.

13. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Alexis Sanchez will be like a new signing...

14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    #714 Naboomagnoli, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    1222116146729639936 is not a valid tweet id

If so then that's come out of nowhere. Very odd move for the player, more than for us. I'd have thought he'd hold out for a more inviting club.

Edit:
    1222120017065598976 is not a valid tweet id

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #715 Ashur, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Ole from today's press conference: "Alexis will come back at the end of the season and prove you all wrong..."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...olskjaer-bemoans-hard-january-transfer-window

The chances for incomings are looking more and more remote. At the very least, Ole is clearly preparing us for that eventuality judging by what he says. It's time to embrace the horror... :whistling:

16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I thought we have moved on from Sanchez or maybe thats a warning to Sanchez to improve his form and get a buye or you are back in mad house...

17. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FFS we are a train wreck. There’s absolutely no reason for Sanchez to play another game for United.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently one the things the club was "working on" was Jean-Kevin Augustin, an interesting forward prospect from RBL (per David Ornstein).
    United jumped in late to make a push for him but he snubbed us and secured a loan move to Leeds instead (they had been after him for longer than us, admittedly). Still...

19. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Holy shit!! I thought it is a fake quote...apparently not.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the reporters present sounded stunned as well. You could clearly hear an "Excuse me?" (the stunned and borderline disgusted kind) when Ole made that comment coming from the press corp.

21. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Anyone thinking we will sign Sancho can now rest easy. It wont happen!!

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1222098381952208896 is not a valid tweet id

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly surprised some people thought Sanchez and his giant 350kpw (500kpw when he plays) wage bill was ever likely to not to be coming back in the summer.

Ed brushing him under the carpet for a year should have fooled nobody. We are still paying part of his wages and are on the hook for 18-20+m per year until June 2022 as agreed by Judge/Woodward/Joel Glazer.

24. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are players to be signed if you have a competent recruitment department, chief exec and owners.

1222081880884989954 is not a valid tweet id

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. LA. MAN UNITED

LA. MAN UNITED Member+

May 22, 2006
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly he meant Sancho will come in during the summer and prove everyone wrong who never thought he'd play here. I'm sure it's just a small miscommunication that will be straightened out shortly. :rolleyes:

Deadtigers, jnielsen and benni... repped this.