Donovan,Howard: Everton v. Tottenham 2/28 8am ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by eainterplay, Feb 27, 2010.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    We haven't seen angry Landon since the CC and MLS season after his wife split.

2. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    I watched it again too, it look liked he may have hesitated for just a fraction of a second, maybe thinking the ball was already going in or whatever, which threw him off. Of course players who are "angry" are never hesitant and have that killer instinct decisiveness about them.

No it didn't seem that bad actually. I'm sure not nearly as bad as when he apologized to the team with(probably) a lump in his throat….

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Rules of Engagement hits the TV screens tonight, so maybe angry Landon will resurface. :)

4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I think the commentator influenced a lot of people's opinions. When you first see it, you think "damn that was a bad miss." BUT, when accompanied by a guy with an English accent screaming "Donovan misses an absolute sitter! That is the miss of the season!", perception can be warped for the visual to match the audio.

5. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm going to agree with a few people above, i just saw the highlights last night, and while he should have found a way to get it into the goal, that wasn't a "sitter"--right after the bounce between knee and waist high, that's a difficult one to judge and hit correctly with the foot. probably would have been better to just use the body and run it in, but it's not as easy as it had been made out to be.

6. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    It wasn't the actual miss itself, Ive seen worse by better players. It was more an issue of timing, circumstances; Everton playing well against top Premiership teams, Donovan earning praises, momentum was on Everton side when he missed, enough time left to "steal" a victory, the points lost to move up the table, missed opportunity to put an exclamation point on a good run in (arguably) the best league in the world and of course how easy it should have been...etc,etc.

It's like new lovers infatuation broken by one of them being a dunderhead. The timing was just awful.

7. Plan B

Plan B New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Chicago
    He was a few yards from an open net with a clear chance-- let's get real, it was a sitter and a very bad miss, particularly considering the circumstances of the match. It hardly makes him a bad player. It's disappointing somehow that people feel like they need to turn every situation involving an American into something either black or white, or drag others down in order to defend our guys. Can't we just call it what it is: a really good player making a really poor play?

8. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    I don't think most people are "defending" the miss, just stating that it wasn't quite as bad as it initially sounded.

He still should have buried it and I think it represents a bit of a weakness in his game and American's games in general: A lot of times we lack the confidence to strike the ball with conviction when it counts. You see it all the time in MLS where a player (like Donovan) will side foot a ball or take that extra touch instead going in with strength and conviction and putting the ball away.

As many posters have said, it all is magnified in the EPL vs. MLS in which individual league matches seem to carry so much more meaning and wasted chances are critical. Not so much in MLS.

9. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    He was outside of the goal post and was trying to tuck the ball to the inside. IMO had he been inside of the posts and missed that would've been a "absolute sitter" miss.

10. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm33Z_2sZj8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm33Z_2sZj8[/ame]

There have been worse.

11. Absolute

Absolute BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 18, 2007
    Green Hell
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he doesn't miss the easy ones starting June 12th.:D

12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  14. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would really be a bad miss would be to miss the opportunity to do well in the games in front of him because of the game behind him. This would be the greatest miss of all.

Let it go.

15. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Landon's run was technically inferior. His run should have been TO the far post, not to one yard outside the far post.

In saying this, the ball being played across was not a simple one to handle.

The reasons this miss seem so important are:

1. Many posters here feel US soccer and its players have something to prove on the International stage. When one of our representatives, perhaps our best field player, screws up, its natural to feel that this miss is symbolic for our inability to achieve internationally.

2. England v USA is huge on June 12th. Landon is our on-the-field leader. If he comes back from England with honors, we feel better about our chances in June.

3. It was a big game for his club. That miss cost them a point.

4. Landon doesn't have a track record of success in England yet. If Rooney, Saha, Drogba or another established Premier league striker misses that shot, the miss says less about the player because they have a record of success in the Premier league to fall back on.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Right on. :cool:

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was a very, very bad miss...in particular, the ball bounced pretty far away from him, so he had time to line it up and put it in. But miss of the season??? Hardly, except maybe for the circumstances. Everton was playing the last of a hellish patch of matches, a patch in which they've played ALL the top teams in England except Villa, and had 3 wins and a draw (and the Liverpool loss). A draw at WHL would be a very respectable result, a win would be tremendous. And for the miss to be from Landon, whose insertion into the first XI coincided with Everton's run, just added to the "timing" element of it.
    Whenever a player is as far outside the post as he is from the goalline, i.e., whenever he's looking at a 45 degree angle, and the goal isn't completely undefended, it's not THAT easy of a shot. I mean, whenever a player hits side netting, it can't really be a miss of the season, because he was outside the post.

But yeah, it's got a good chance at miss of the month maybe. ;) A very bad miss, but not as bad as I'd been led to believe.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, the miss at 1:54 is the worst of all. It was during an important Copa Libertadores match at home against Boca Juniors. What makes it worse in my opinion is that he didn't need to kick it, it was going in on its own with no pressure. It was such of forgone conclusion that it was a goal that the defenders didn't even realize he crashed it off the bar.

I actually saw that game live (on TV) and couldn't believe my eyes.

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    See below

I don't think of that miss as a sitter. I do see it as a bad miss. He was outside the post there was a defender actually in the goal (sliding, but in the area), the ball was bouncing and he was not running at the goal but the end line. ALL OF THAT SAID - he is paid to make them and he should have at least gotten it on goal.

22. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the miss but certainly have heard plenty described. I will say that if you are going to miss an easy goal, there is no better way to get a negative reaction from teammates, coaches, fans, etc than to knock it into the side netting where there was never a chance to score and immediately removes the opponent from a dangerous situation. Sounds obvious, but if he missed wide far post or knocked it off near post, the reaction probably wouldn't be as bad as seeing the ball surprisingly "bulge" the side netting. Having said all that, sounds like one that a player of his caliber should, and needs to score.