Domestic U23 Camp June 10-16

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 22, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    So apparently some U23s not on the Gold Cup provisional roster are still being invited to training camp and will then be sent over to a U23 gathering. From the WaPo:

A full U-23 squad will have a separate camp June 10-16 in the Salt Lake City area, but by inviting some to the early senior gathering, Berhalter aims to start integrating them into his system.

Goalkeepers: JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Andrew Thomas (Stanford University), Justin Vom Steeg (L.A. Galaxy).

Defenders: Kyle Duncan (New York Red Bulls), Cameron Carter-Vickers* (Tottenham Hotspur), Marlon Fossey* (Fulham), Omar Gonzalez* (Atlas), Andrew Gutman* (Charlotte Independence), Matt Miazga* (Chelsea), Tim Ream* (Fulham), Antonee Robinson* (Everton).

Midfielders: Duane Holmes* (Derby County), Emerson Hyndman (Bournemouth), Keaton Parks (New York City FC), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers).

Forwards: Jonathan Amon* (Nordsjaelland), Luca de la Torre (Fulham), Joe Gyau* (Duisburg), Josh Perez (Los Angeles FC), Josh Sargent* (Werder Bremen), Haji Wright (Schalke).
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...old-cup/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4b95f10be5d6

The guys WITHOUT asterisk's (they are Goff's) are the non-GC guys. Obviously they are not all YNT-eligible since Hyndman is on there, though he's an outlier and I wonder if I should think of him as being part of the MNT pool or not...

Thomas is apparently a triple (USA/Russia/England) citizen born in Moscow, raised largely in England, with time in Watford's academy. I haven't quickly been able to find a birth year.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=14119

Luksarus, Pl@ymaker, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  2. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. They're branding it as the U23 national team, but only half of these guys are even eligible.

And is Berhalter already telling Miazga, Antonee, CCV, Holmes, and the rest that they aren't going to be on the Gold Cup roster? Is that what I'm seeing? And what possible reason does he have for putting guys like Ream and Gonzalez on here. Like wtf is going on here?

Edit: Wait wait wait, never mind. These guys are meeting beforehand (May 26-June 2), then they'll be sent to the senior team camp when they assemble later on, with the Jamaica warm up game being on June 5th.

SCSAutism, Pl@ymaker and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My bad. Should have made clearer that you can click links on the internet to read things published at those links. ;)

Pegasus and TarHeels17 repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Wasn't all your fault - Dave let brevity get the better of him this time. The listed group (a real mish-mash) is assembling in Annapolis starting this Monday, May 27. A different group of just U-23's, with presumably some new young players added and the older players subtracted, will attend that June 10-16 camp in Salt Lake City.

5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Speaking of new young players, there is an outside chance that some of the U20s will attend the June 10-16 camp. It just depends on how far the US. advances. Assuming we get out of the group the round of 16 games are from 6/2-6/4, the quarterfinals are on 6/7-6/8, the semis on 6/11, with the final on 6/15.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    One wonders how many more camps there will be between this one (June) and qualifying (October). I'm not sure anyone has much of an idea, apart perhaps from Kreis. In any case, he should know the U20s pretty well by then since he's evidently going to Poland, which makes sense.

7. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say I do like this move. Utilizes the U23s, incorporates them into the Senior team, and also provides direct competition for some of the older players to demonstrate they have to beat out their younger counterparts. People may complain about some of the post-camp selections, but that seems to be exactly what the team is doing.

Pegasus, Mahtzo1, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but how would I have known that? They should make clickable things be visually different from regular text. Make it green, maybe.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    @bshredder said he had played cricket with the England YNT. Of course, maybe along with being a triple national he's a three sport athlete as well.

Pegasus repped this.
  11. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    MLS is off that weekend. So I’d hope to see the Yueill, Ebobisse, Glad (especially since it’s in SLC), etc. domestic contingent.

12. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    EPB and Klinsmann and Sabbi are U23s that were involved in the Spain camp and don't seem to be invited to anything this month. That is out of 51 players. Is it a chance to catch a break? The first two need a move, but other guys are working on moves. I don't think Cappis has been invited to anything either.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cappis was at some U20 stuff.

14. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know when the June 10-16 camp roster will be release? This weekend perhaps?

15. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweets from Jeff Carlisle and Ives about the camp, but looks like the roster has not been finalized as of now.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    GOALKEEPERS (3): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.), Andrew Thomas (Stanford University; London, England), Justin Vom Steeg (LA Galaxy; Santa Barbara, Calif.)

none of the three are first teamers. one college kid. I think JT deserves a shot in San Jose

DEFENDERS (6): Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers; Gresham, Ore.), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; Tucson, Ariz.), Aaron Herrera (Real Salt Lake; Las Cruces, N.M.), Jack Maher (Indiana University; Caseyville, Ill.), Sam Rogers (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; Media, Pa.)
    farfan had one of the worst performances in a game last year. glad hasnt improved in 2 years. Herrera looks to have solidified a spot at RSL. Trusty continues to improve. the other two, who knows.

MIDFIELDERS (8): Brenden Aaronson (Philadelphia Union; Medford, N.J.), George Acosta (Unattached; Pembroke Pines, Fla.), Mukwelle Akale (Villarreal CF B; Minneapolis, Minn.), Cameron Lindley (Memphis 901 FC; Carmel, Ind.), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake; Park City, Utah), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; Bloomington, Minn.), Gedion Zelalem (Sporting Kansas City; Berlin, Germany)

aaronson should've been in poland. he's had a good season. what has happened to Acosta's club situation? Akale has proven nothing and needs to find a club somewhere. lindley, meh. bofo is finally producing in the past few months. williamson has been pretty good with T2, but yet to be seen if he's MLS level. Yueill is breaking out with san jose. Zelalem is done, im afraid.

FORWARDS (4): Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake; Paradise Valley, Ariz.), Benji Michel (Orlando City SC; Orlando, Fla.), Alfonso Ocampo Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Kent, Wash.), Giovanni Reyna (Unattached; Bedford, N.Y.)

lol lennon is a forward again? michel, idk. AOC very young but intriguing. Gio, WHY WONT THEY SAY HE'S WITH BVB?

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Not trying to stir up trouble, but is there a reason this is an all collegiate and MLS squad? Are professional teams not letting players go for the Olympic qualifiers? Do we expect several additions to this group if we actually qualify?

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This group is just for this camp. Maybe some will make the actual qualifying roster, but the potential pool of U23s is much larger. I expect that the next U23 camp after this one will include some recent U20 WC players as well as others.

nobody repped this.
  20. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Thanks, looked odd to me without that background.

21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Compared to the last U23 camps this squad appears weaker. Most of these players are not going to be on the final Olympic qualifying roster. There's a few tiers here of players.

1. Keeping busy, staying involved (unlikely to make final team): Reyna, AOC, Acosta, Zelalem

2. Kept around for leadership/continuity: Yuiell, Pines

3. Not convincing enough last time: Lindley, Williamson, Farfan, Maher, Perez

4. First look guys in the running for a spot: Akale, Aaronson, Saucedo, Michel, Lennon, Trusty, Michel

Most of the spots up for grabs at this camp are going to be backups. Most of the guys that just finished in Poland are going to take their spots on the starting lineup if not the roster entirely.

nobody and TheFalseNine repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This roster probably has more to do with who they can get released than who is really in the U23 picture...…………………..

It never hurts to have a camp and build up depth, though.

wixson7 and nobody repped this.
  23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I would not be surprised to see literally anybody who is age-eligible on a qualifying roster.

24. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    RSL has a USOC game tomorrow and I don't know if any of the 4 RSL players will still be available for that game.

The Real Monarchs don't have a game until the 22nd and they typically train in the Herriman facility, so if the U23s are going to play anyone the Monarchs may be it.