Does the MLS need saving???

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by Scotland the brave, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    So with beckham coming over (ankle and all) the only thing i hear in the press is "Can beckham save MLS???"

Well what i want to know is should the question not be "Can beckham add to the MLS" because i don't think we need saving....

For a league that has only been around for about 12 years you cant expect to be on a par with the EPL so whats the problem.

Baseball, basketball, football and hockey have been around for ages so is it not just a matter of time before the league grows, and surely we don't need players to "save" the league just add to it???

2. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    No, MLS does not need saving.

The question should be, Does the Galaxy need saving?

3. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Q: Does MLS need saving

A: No

Q: Does the Galaxy need saving

A: Luke Skywalker already took care of it.

Q: Does the Los Angeles Galaxy need saving

A: Yes. They need a heart transplant, and they need either a pre-frontal lobotomy or a brain transplant.

Paging Dr. Gupta

4. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    I would rep you but.....I would hate for it to go to your head

5. ftv2791

ftv2791 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    south jordan, Utah
    cmon.. guys the mls doesnt need saving..... peps like to compare the mls with other high profile leagues... what a joke... there is no comparision.. mls is still too new... they have a cap... (for a reason) and the quality doesnt come close... and as much as peps dont like to hear it.. the world leagues are feeders to the big 5 leagues of europe, the only thing wrong with mls is the fact that the quality.... theres alote of players that dont belong in a top level. so saying that the MLS is doing the best with what they have. and personally i like beckham.. but i wish he would have stayed in europe.. he is bringing the wrong press to mls... meaning the glamour. of the off the pitch.
    peps need to stop comparing the mls to others leagues... its not like other leagues.. yes they play soccer, but thats the only thing similar...

6. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS just needs to market itself better (away from the Soccer Mom's), and to keep on working towards a single table (or as close as they can get it).

7. hoboken16

hoboken16 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ USA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the new playoff format is a step in the right direction but it should only be 6 teams with the conference leaders getting a bye. No the MLS doesn't saving it's growing slowly but surely.

8. bobbybhoy2003

bobbybhoy2003 New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Columbus
    Very good idea...would make winning the confrence impotant were as now it means sweetf%^ck all.

9. outforkicks

outforkicks New Member

May 20, 2005
    Denver,Co
    The MLS WILL need saving........AFTER Mr. Posh makes a poof of himself and turns it into a damn circus.

By the way the "ankle" thing was only being used as a ruse only so the 'Product' that Beckham is can be 'opened' in LA....I freakin hate Chelsea...but would love to see 'em steam over the Hollywood bally-hoo.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How are you privvy to this secret information?

And, no--MLS does not need saving. But those headlines were to be expected, since many people are under the impression that the league has failed--it's had 11 and a half years to become as big as the NFL, after all. What's the holdup?

11. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS does not need saving, but it could benefit from greater exposure.

13. TalkMLS

TalkMLS New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Buffalo, NY area
    Major League Soccer has been around since 1996 and stands strong in 2007, and in my view they'll be here many more years to come. I think the MLS has made some solid moves this year and this will continue to make their product a better one, Major League Soccer does not need saving.

14. sakyasageO

sakyasageO New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Get more teams in the MLS like Toronto, passionate fan base, even when losing.

It will improve the league more in the long run, then buying in older world class players looking for there last big cheque.

Owners, come and go, players, come and go, even the grounds get moved or rebuilt. The only thing that stay loyal at a club is the fans. They make the history of a team, They are the 12th man when the team is going through bad times.

15. sakenu16

sakenu16 New Member

Jan 30, 2007
    I think that is just a media ploy to get more people to listen to them. But no I don't think MLS needs saving. Some teams are already turning a profit with more to follow. More teams are getting soccer stadium only, look at colorado rapids, houston dynamo, fc dallas, toronto, etc. Future stadiums are planned for NY, DC, etc. Yes there are some spots where the attendance has gone down a bit but overall I think MLS is growing. The MLS has learned a lot from NASL and I don't think they will commit the same mistake.

16. kronz21

kronz21 Member

Mar 17, 2006
    cleveland
    what??? a circus, why?????

17. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is great, needs nothing, (except a few more wins for Columbus)

18. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    +1 :D

19. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team: