Do you think the "grito" needs to stop?

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by texanballer, Jul 11, 2016.

?

Does the grito need to go away?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    49.2%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    50.8%
  1. texanballer

texanballer Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Looking at it from an outsider's point of view, do you think it needs to stop? Is it offensive?

2. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Fifa thinks it needs to stop, that's what matters.

3. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    #3 ipaman, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    NO!!!, because they are trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist while ignoring real problems that hurt the LGBT community and that's ********ing insane!!! Sorry FIFA but I don't fall for your bullshit, trying some slight of hand re-direction and going for an easy victory, low hanging fruit to make it look like you care while ignoring the REAL but difficult problems. Sorry but we cannot let them create and drive the narrative that makes them look like heroes and make us look like bigots. Fack them!!!

We have to re-create the narrative, the real one. I think we should keep saying it (or something similar) to force FIFA to handle real problems like LGBT discrimination in Russia and Qatar as well as major human rights violations in Qatar. Maybe yell ehhhhh... FIFA!!! or ehhhh.... PUT0 FIFA!!! We need supporters groups and media to pick up this message and spread it. Fixing FAKE problems is easy while fixing REAL problems is hard and we can't let them get away with their bullshit. We have to bring it to light.

-edit- Damn..., ******** (P- U- T- O) is even blocked on BSMX for fack sakes!!! Give me a facking break, I'm embarrassed at the bending over everyone is doing while looking the other way on real shit. Whomever had a say in blocking the word here should be ashamed of themselves. Does it make you feel better and sleep good at night with your fake ass activists bullshit?!?! Trust me, you 'aint helping shit.

4. cv11

cv11 Member

Feb 8, 2016
    wtf is wrong with you guys to even vote yes? people can't even handle banter

5. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because being banned from the World Cup isn't worth it?

Rafael Hernandez and LGRod repped this.
  6. megadeath

megadeath Member+

Oct 10, 2009
    This "grito" was cute like 5-6 years ago. It's annoying now. Please get rid of it. Same ol s**t and very unimaginative.

Sanchito repped this.
  7. hausen

hausen Member+

Jun 18, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, it needs to stop.

puto= a word very commonly used to call out gay people.

Try explaining it to the rest of the world that we don't really mean it in that way to the opposing GK. It's not worth the argument. It just needs to end.

Also, the FMF SUCKS at trying to stop the chant. Are they really trying doe?

BrianInVA and el mofles repped this.
  8. CheesusCrust

CheesusCrust Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Kepler 22B
    Club:
    --other--
    It's childish, classless, and in some sense, homophobic. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't P*** the equivalent of f***t?
    What kind of sportsmanship is that? That kind of nonsense doesn't belong in football.

9. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    no.

10. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

11. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    It's not homophobic and now you've been corrected.

Regarding childishness, sports in general is childish. Dressing up for sports (or anything) is childish. Have supporters groups chant and sing is childish. If that's your metric I hope you don't follow sports at all.

12. CheesusCrust

CheesusCrust Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Kepler 22B
    Club:
    --other--
    That's a subjective matter, if it is or not. I don't mind if others think otherwise. I simply believe, that the chant is just not classy at all. I don't see the "fun" in it. It's an embarrassment that Mexico is known for that chant. Like really, is that the best they could come up with? To me it shows lack of respect to the fans and the sport itself. I gave my opinion and I stand by it.

13. el mofles

el mofles Member

May 16, 2001
    RC Mongolian BBQ
    Club:
    Birmingham City LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #13 el mofles, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Yeah like hausen said, it's time consuming and complicated having to explain it the word in 'Mexican Spanish'. From what I see the Mexico National Team fan base already enough things they are known for internationally to let 'the chant' go such as the in unison national anthem singing, the Cielito Lindo sing-along and strong traveling fan support at major tournaments.
    At the same time there is a strong sense of ethnocentrism and nationalism coming from people looking in from the outside as to why 'the chant' should be banned. There seems to be a lack of comprehension from many on the outside looking in that the word in question could be so varied, intricate and multi-functional within another language that is not their own.

Your values and ideas are different and hold less value than mine therefore you language and ways to express your ideas can not be as rich and varied as mine.

14. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    There is as much ethnocentrism and nationalism in the defense of it and how it's "la picardia mexicana" and the world should laugh at it because we are so humorous to everyone, as if the rest of the world has to be so taken with it as we are.

And you can try to complicate things and try to paint it as "racist and looking down on mexicans" but it's a freakin insult at the end of the day. It's not that complicated or that varied.

15. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    It is subjective and the experts on the matter, the ones who actually know and use the word say it isn't homophobic. In fact experts like the Mexican Academy of Language have said that it is common in Mexican Spanish for simple words to become very complex terms that change meaning depending on context. But hey that's just the experts talking right.

You however are suggesting that we all should listen to non-experts who don't speak Mexico's Spanish, don't use the word, don't understand the context/history, etc...??? No mames guey, esos son puros mamadas!! I just told you "don't suck you ox, those are pure blowjobs!!" Or did I....

By the way if you and others are offended so what? You or anyone else doesn't have the right to not be offended. Be offended and move on. You don't have to try and change everything that offends you especially when you don't understand it. The word n-i-g-g-a is a good example but because I'm not an expert I 'aint gonna tell experts what to do unlike you.

16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    should stop

17. SopasesosHumanos

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 21, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    OK, we all know the word can have different meaning depending on the context.

Is it really worth standing up for the right to use "p u t o" in any of it's anything-but-homophobic meanings? Is this a battle worth fighting?

I'm sure we can collectively come up with something better than "p u t o" or "you suck, asshole." Although , it's gonna be tough to top "you fat bastard" though.

18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Interesting that you start off claiming it is subjective, but then your reasoning relies on "experts" as a vehicle for establishing the objective truth of the word. However, language's fluid nature is the very reason why experts are only valuable as descriptors of definition rather than for a prescriptive purpose. Language is a social action. Information conveyed must stream to the endpoint to have value. It doesn't matter if you intend to convey the concept "car," if the rest of the world hears "boat" then you failed as a communicator. There is no inherent truth to the word "car" that links it to the concept of car.

The word ultimately is one that questions a man's masculinity. The concepts of normative gender roles and sexuality are so tightly woven that it is a bit ridiculous to try to parse out context-based meaning, especially when the context is simply belting out the word without support language around it. Based on the overlap of gender and sexuality, it is perfectly reasonable that when the word is said by Mexicans that the world hears homophobia. If that is not the intention, then use a different word.

Rafael Hernandez repped this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    If it's subjective (it is) I prefer to hear what the experts say on the subject matter, not the ignorant. Why? Because the ignorant subjective opinion has no foundation.

First of all, the entire world doesn't speak Spanish. Secondly, those folks asked the wrong people what it meant. That's not our fault, you should have asked the right folks first. We think the world should not hear homophobia, please hear something different.

But why won't you hear the real meaning or just ignore it? Because we're an easy target, an easy victory. You, FIFA, and the rest don't want to have real outrage for real problems. You want faux outrage for easy problems. You, FIFA, and the rest should be embarrassed. The irony if we are banned from the WC in Russia or Qatar while real terrible shit is going down on the streets of Russia & Qatar :ROFLMAO:

OliverAtom and erdons repped this.
  20. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Language is more democratic than that. If all the "ignorant" get together and change the meaning of a word, then that word now has a new meaning. The experts fall in line or lose currency. The Spanish language only exists because the ignorant got together and stopped speaking Latin properly.

It's pointless to look at it through a lens of right and wrong. It simply exists. It's not as if the world's objection is completely arbitrary. While the direct definition may not necessarily require homophobia, it's not that far off the mark. It's close enough that the changing times demand changes in language. C'est la vie.
    Don't speak for me. While I think it should be dropped, I'm not outraged about it. In fact, I find it a bit annoying when people get sanctimonious about banning offensive words. Likewise, I find equally annoying the indignation of the "anti-PC" or "anti-SJW" crowd that demand the impossibly rigid use of language.

There's certainly some truth to what you say about easy target, easy victory. A world cup banning would be a bullshit penalty. It has an air of 1990 to it when Mexico was banned for an offense which only got Brazil a slap on the wrist a decade later. However, it is a fallacy to argue that just because there are larger problems in the world, smaller ones shouldn't be dealt with.

21. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I doubt Mexico gets expelled from the world cup. They will just veto the stadium.

22. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    We'll correct you.

JK, but I think "joto" is actually the equivalent of faggot. It gets censored practically everywhere. Not so much with "puto". The way I grew up using it, it always meant more like bitch.

23. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    That's how we used it too. P$to was like calling someone or being called "punk". "J0to" was the fighting word. It's the real slur used to degrade someone. P$to isn't used to question a man's masculinity but rather his manliness or how macho he is. Somehow it got inflated into this unspeakable slur the equivalent of using the N-word to FIFA. Whatever the case, if it's use will cost our team home field advantage at the Azteca, then the chant needs to stop.

24. Eila

Eila Member+

Jan 13, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Only because FIFA wants us to stop.

25. BrianInVA

BrianInVA Member+

Mar 24, 2008
    Lake Ridge
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's dumb af.. it's not as big a deal as has been inflated, but it's dumb, and makes me cringe.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk