Do you remeber the 5th os September?

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by pibe10, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    DO YOU REMEMBER THE 5TH OF SEPTEMBER???? :D
    I have 5 reasons to remember that date: Rincon (41'), Asprilla (50'), Rincon(75'), Asprilla (76'), Valencia (85').
    that's right baby, 5/9/1993, USA 1994 world cup qualifying game in Buenos Aires, Colombia needs a draw to qualify Argentina have to win. Oscar Ruggeri was "convince" that Argentina will win at least 3 or 4-0 cause they have the tradition with them. but the best Colombian squad ever blew up in his face. I still have that game recorded in a video cassette. the game broadcasted live here in Israel. I was 13 years old back then, and according to Israel watch it was on 1:00 am but I watched the best game I ever saw. even the Israeli commentator said that. there's a lot to remember from this match. the arrogent of the Argentines before the match, the shoving between Valderrama and Simeone, the amazing pass of Pibe to Rincon, Asprilla rounded Borelli in the 2nd goal, we discover an exellent keeper after Higuita and his name was Oscar Cordoba, Asprilla amazing break away from our half to Argentina's box, before Alvarez great cross to Rincon who made it 3:0. Asprilla's most beautiful goal, and the fourth of the night, and the pass of tino to Valencia in the fifth goal. and who could forget 80,000!!!! Argentine fans who booing their players and giving standing ovation to the players in yellow. and even though we had the worst tournament in 1994, any Colombian fan around the world, will never forget the 5th of September.

our national team in the last years is far far away from that amazing 1993 team, but who knows maybe some day the glory will be back to us.

so now do you remember the 5th of September???

DALE COLOMBIA CAMPEON!!!!! :cool:

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As wonderful as that game was, I have two things to say:

1. That was the beginning of Colombia's decay. After that we have never reached the level of play achieved at that game. We also lost focus and IMHO showed why we are not part of the elite: Instead of keep working hard to improve we became World Champions without even playing a game in WC. The result? Out in the first round, two ignominous defeats and a sad story to show to the world, and that's even without looking to all the stupidity that reigned among media, sponsors and fans from that day until June 22, 1994 when a sobbering defeat against USA brougth our feet back to planet Earth.

2. We cannot keep congratulating ourselves for the 4-4 against CCCP or the 1-1 in Wembley or the 1-1 against Germany. The only results that the rest of the world remember (except for Argentina - deep slain to their pride) are the Libertadores titles and the atypical 2001 Copa America. Everything else is rubish.

3. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm sorry Dapip, but I don't agree with #2, "the rest" as you call it, is history, and like it or not it will always be there.......I'm not one to deny history, some say "recordar es vivir" I rather live than "erase" those memories......I'll still celebrate the 4-4, the 1-1 in Wembley, and everything else....because that's how great legacies are built, on their history..........so what if we have lost, they are called "growing pains" and if we forget our "bad/rubbish" past we forget and will make the same mistakes all over again.....which seems to be what our Federacion has done because we continue in a vicious cycle.

Who cares what the word remembers, the world knows who's who, I, as a fan of Colombia, and other fans of Colombia will remember all those games.......do you remember every single game Argentina has played? Spain? Italy? Germany? Brazil? no, why, cause you're not a fan of them, at least I'm not, so I don't........

we have to move on, yes, and build on those experiences, yes, but never forget our history, that's like denying your roots cause you're ashamed or something.

anyway, SALUD 5 - 0.

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    as great as the 5-0 it just made our exit from 1st round that much worse... how could a team that can destroy argentina lose to the US.... :(

I dont really like celebrating that game besides taht game was happened when i was like 5-6 yrs old... I want to celebrate something new ... like maybe a good showing in Copa America :)

the past is great but we shouldnt hold on to it... I dont no if u guys have been on the forum about the SA giants and all the Uruguayans are saying that because of their history they can care less how they play now.. Colombia in 90-94 were one of the best teams in the world but now the same isnt true and we havent qualified to 2 WCs... I see it more important to worry about doing well with the new crop of players we have know then to keep bringing up our 5-0 on argentina... because they have recovered from this hit. Even tho it still hurts their pride, THEY HAVE SCREWED US OUT OF 2002 and 2006 by letting Uruguay beat them in the last game.

If u asked me it would have been alot better to tie in argentina and go to WC korea and germany :(

ok let the flame war begin

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    el pibe amanecio SUPER INSPIRADO!

kuddos to el pibe#10 and his sock in israel...rep points are not enough!

6. riko_suave83

riko_suave83 New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    London
    Yeah i know what u mean that was quite a long time ago, however theres no reason not to reminisce the past glories. Especially when the argies say its a fluke, im like well what about that game when Colombia beat argentina in la Copa America 1999, we won 3-0 convincingly, not to mention that blonde bimbo Palermo missing three penalties for the Argies, man what a way to crucify his arrival at the big time, guess he was just all hype hype!!!

Anyways im looking forward to the hot prospects that are coming out form La Colombie. Hopefully this next campaign wont end in tears and we can revive el Futbol Colombiano!!!! All we have to do is remember one thing! and i quote from some sophmore cheerleader called tiffany i met years ago... NEVER STOP BELIEVING!!!!lol

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Palermo was a Fluke, no argument on that, but that was not a convincing 3-0.... No way, specially when as you said they missed 3 PKs and when Colombia got contributions from unlikely parts like that lucky goal by Montaño or the beauty by Congo.. For me a 2-1 or a 2-2 was a more likely result, but hey, that day the gods of fortune smiled to Colombia.

I'm not against reminiscence, not about remembering the game, but for me celebrating the 5-0 aniversary is too much. If we criticize Uruguashos for celebrating the 56th aniversary of their last WC, how can we stand up celebrating our advance to WC94?

8. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Palermo still leader on goals scored (apertura tounament 6)
    all time 152!!!!! He is not a fluke...he had a bad day vs 1999 colombia and then in europe.

when I open the thread, my hopes were that the federation had picked a wonderful coach/manager with more credentials than the current one!:eek:

Most likely some one from argentina......I will be odd that today we find a coach that earns 50k a month (not 5-0 on the memoirs)

9. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    agreed... time to move on....

10. riko_suave83

riko_suave83 New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    London
    ok fair enuff the 3-0 win in 1999 was not convincing, I definetly was exaggerating and Colombia were fortunate... however a win is a win, Ive seen Colombia play games against argentina and with other football teams where they did not deserve to lose but hey this is Football and that 3-0 win still stands for me as a decent victory!!

Oh and on Palermo case well fair enuff he can kick ass anytime in the argie league wit Boca but back in the day when he set the argie league on fire, teams like Lazio, Inter, Real Madrid, Barcelona were linked to him however his performance in la Copa america of 1999 and THAT game against colombia did kinda killed it for him!! Villareal bought him... sure there a respectable team now, but back then they were no hopers. ANyways if he was that good he would of progressed and would play more for his country. He's in argentina now, I guess that says it all lol!!

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    dude any of the players in our NT would kill to play in argentina ... and start for Boca... how r u putting Palermo down. Just because he isnt in real doesnt mean he was a failure...

any way i too was hoping when i opened this that this was about the NEW COAC H WHICH THE FED promised me since like feb were is he??? Rueda should just quit so fed will be forced to give us a new one, because most likely they wont pick him to be our coach

12. lfsr1544

lfsr1544 Member

May 9, 2001
    Glen Rock, NJ
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Palermo, underachieved tremendously. I don’t care if you play for Boca or River or Sao Paolo or Corinthians, players today are judged on a more internationally exposed environment. European top leagues have the best of football. They have the money to put together ‘playstation-like’ teams, stadiums, tournaments, etc. Also, the Colombian clubs and Colombian football agents are getting wiser by the minute (ex: Guarin) -- a few years ago, they would have loaned Guarin to Boca for a couple more years – just enough time to have him succeed in Argentina and then ask top dollar from European clubs. Instead, even a small club like Envigado deals directly with Europe.

[FONT=&quot] The Argentinian league is a great league but the aspirations of even the Colombian footballer today, is a short stop in Argentina, or a direct ticket to Europe. [/FONT]

13. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    oh no, you found out...:eek:

14. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    News: Hace 14 años Colombia goleó 5-0 a Argentina

La goleada por 5-0 a Argentina en partido de las eliminatorias al Mundial de Estados Unidos 1994 del que se cumplen este miércoles exactos 14 años dio alegría a Colombia y "respeto" a su fútbol, que en la actualidad está siendo difícil de mantener, afirmó el ex internacional Carlos el Pibe Valderrama.

More...

15. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    another year passed, and this date will remain forever as the bad memory of every Argentine soccer. I dont think we'll ever have a team like 1993, which could easily be a semi-finalist if not all the problems Colombia have. this game also started the falling down of the NT, but for sure it was the best game I've ever saw (I thank god I had the privilige to see it, I was 13) unfortunatlly, as the NT looks right now, I prefer to call all the players of 1993 for the qualifiers of 2010, they won't be worst then the NT of the Copa 2007 for sure :eek:. let's hope to qualify again for the WC and not to wait another 28 years (god forbid) but no matter what, this date will always remain as one of the best days I had in my life :D

16. MrPaisa

MrPaisa New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Madison, NY
    I celebrate the date, I don't go nuts or throw a party, but it changed the way people looked at our soccer...people say that was our golden era...our golden era will come once again when we win a world cup... yea, call me a dreamer a fool, but a true fan has hope when all is lost....

17. Pereira_17

Pereira_17 New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    USA
    I remember the day well and I think that what we all celebrate is not the game itself, it is the event and of the memories that it brings.

I remember celebrating each goal and of the cumbia played after each goal. Jumping and cheering and hugging everyone as if I had scored the goal myself. I think that is the reason it is a day to be celebrated, it was like our Soccer Independence Day.

It was shown on Closed Circuit tv, before the days of Pay Per View. We packed a smoky bar all in Yellow Jerseys and all suffering, sighing, singing, drinking, and yelling at a big projector screen. When the game was over the party began, actually after the 3rd goal the party began.

That is actually what I remember and celebrate, the experience of watching the game where everything I could hope for happened and of being around (what felt like) hundreds of other people that felt the exact same way.

Everyone remembers watching that game and of the great memories that it brings them. Everyone has their own story of where they watched it, who they were with, and of how they celebrated it.

18. hadexxx

hadexxx Moderator
    Staff Member

May 3, 2005
    Portugal also did with Figo on board in the WC... USA is an amazing team, I am not ashamed of losing to an American team that was robbed against Brazil in the 94 WC, Lalas scored a 100% legal goal that was not validated by the ref, and look what they did to Tab Ramoz to stop him!

19. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. The elbow on Tab should have been a red card. I feel that all the big teams get calls, it's bull shit but it happens.

20. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    I think it's pathetic to celebrate the anniversary of the 0-5 as if it were our greatest accomplishment. In reality we didn't win anything, and as it been discussed ad nauseum, it did us more harm in the long run.
    I do however enjoy watching them once in a while.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Still think the same...

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's sad to live off the past. Further, the worst part of it for me is the legacy it left. Somehow for over a decade, Colombia has been trying to 're-create' the toque-toque style that made us great enough to beat Argentina so dominantly that day - but if you watch the tape (so kindly made available by Hadexx) we played almost 100% on the counter attack that day and barely had any possession. We relied on being strong on the back, pressuring all over the field and quickly getting the ball into scoring positions (where our players, el Tino especially, had a great day finishing).

I wonder if we'd spent the last 10 years trying to play like we actually did against the Argies that day, rather than the myth that clever marketing built for us, whether we'd of been better off.

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Por fin alguien que vio el juego, no se comio la narracion de Oscar Meda-asco Ch.!!!! Colombia siempre ha sido un equipo super-defensivo y sus mejores epocas se dieron cuando era solido atras y tenia con que contra-atacar. Lo mas chistoso es que el que nos armo el esquema, luego vino a moverle la butaca a otro porque era muy defensivo.

De vez en cuando, nos toca salir a jugar buscando golear al rival, no podemos jugar igual con Venezuela o Bolivia que con Brasil o Argentina, pero la base de Colombia siempre ha sido una defensa solida.

24. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    EXACTAMENTE! Esta es mi gran frustracion! Me canso de leer a Gabriel Briceno de El Tiempo en su campana para volver al viejo esquema de Maturana y "nuestra identidad futbolistica" - el toque toque es para mi el programa de marketing mas exitosa de la historia Colombiana!

Que ironia! Un equipo que se hizo famoso contra-atacando a Alemania en 90, y luego sorprendio al mundo con el 5-0 (con cuatro goles de contragolpe) - luego armo el ridiculo en USA94 tratando de ganar jugando unicamente a mantener posession de la pelota con el famoso toque toque mientras que Rumania y los Estados Unidos nos ganaban....se lo adivinaron...a puro contra golpe tomando ventaja de los errores que haciamos tratando de mantener possession de la pelota.

Para mi, la obsession con el toque toque nos hizo previsible y mas susceptible al contragolpe de nuestros oponentes.