Do you guys say Di Stefano is Arg or Spanish

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Diego Maradona, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was having a debate with with some Spanish dude about him

I saying that Alfredo was Arg as he was born in Arg and also won the copa America in 47 with Arg.

The dude told me that Di played with Spain for longer and in more matches and he still lives in Spain.

I DONT know why I said :eek: this but I also mentioned that Di Stefano also represented Arg in the early Pro Evo soccer games on PS2 and was in the classic Arg team.
    The dude then said then why was he taken out of the Arg team ?.
    I said cause we were too strong with him.:eek:

2. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    I would say he is as argentinian as Valdano ... but less Spanish than him. :rolleyes:

3. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yup,, flor de pelotudo... :rolleyes:

Actually i'd say he's Martian , cuz no one on earth has done what he's done...

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course he's Argentino. If you ask Di Stefano he'll tell you he's Argentino.

5. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Di Stéfano - as an all-round genius - is the ONY legend in the world ever who can possibly compete with Pelé.

More than Zizinho, Puskas, Charlton, Beckenbauer, Crujff, Zico & Maradona - (although those are the men).

In the midfield Di Stéfano can only be challenged by one player - Didi.

Di Stéfano incarnates Argentinian football more than any other player.

Live or dead.;)

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd say he is Argentino. A similar debate can be said about Carlos Gardel. The Uruguayan's claim he is theirs but we ALL know he belongs to Argentina.

7. Sinestro

Sinestro New Member

Aug 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gardel was french but he is an argentine icon. Same with Carmen Miranda she wasn't brazilian. DiStefano is argentine. He is very cool and pleasant man.

8. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cortazar was born in Belgium though he always referred to himself as argentine.

9. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let's put some things straight here.:mad:

(And that's no populist discourse).

It's not because some Spanish & Portuguese bastards came in the XVIth century to Southamerica & plundered all the gold, silver & precious stones of the continent that the gold, silver & precious stones became European.

The more they are embedded in the Spanish, Portuguese, English, Swedish or Liechenstein's crowns they belong to the Southamerican soil as much as before.

Di Stéfano, Altafini, Orsi, Sívori, Dino Sani, Júlio Botelho, Maradona, Kaká, Messi etc etc - ALL of them - just by chance & mere colonialist imposition have a few European names & traits.

But their intrinsic nature as football players is totally Southamerican: that's where they derived their know-how & ability from - the slums, the beaches, the streets of the New World.

And that's why they are new & their 'rich' contractors are old.

When Di Stéfano seats in the garden of his house in Madrid in front of the statue of a ball and nostalgically says 'Gracias, Vieja' he couldn't be more gaucho.

It's the reincarnation of Martín Fierro.;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mart%C3%ADn_Fierro

[​IMG]

3 people repped this.
  10. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sometimes and only very rarely I must say bravo to you sir and right on, kudos for this excellent post.

11. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks, Matias.

I just can't stand the airs of superiority of some Euros towards Southamerican football.

Without which they'd be practically nothing.

Quero ver gozar com o deles.:rolleyes:

12. tadm123

tadm123 Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    born in argentina so he's argentinian.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I always thought he was Colombian.;):D

14. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    does this mean you are now an Estudiantes de La Plata fan now Kong???? :cool:

15. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That may be but the name Di Stefano is Italian and he is of Italian descent and was probably raised in the Italian way of life just like I was even though I am 3rd generation Italian American. From his wikipedia bio: Born to a family of Italian immigrants from Nicolosi, in province of Catania

16. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You just described over a quarter of Argentines.:rolleyes: Hence why it is called NEW world.

17. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And - according to ArtemioD - if I were a pro football player in Brazil I should also play for the Ukranian NT (since my grandparents came from Kiev) & sing the 'Volga Boatmen' and 'Otchitchornia' every night before going to bed .:D

18. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Since I was a 'nene'.

Passionately rooting for them against Barça at this year CWC.;)

19. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

Yet in this very post you yourself have no qualms of showing "airs of SA superiority" regarding Europe with that ridiculous "Europe would be practically nothing without South American football" comment. This shows a level of ignorance regarding the wealth of European football talent not worthy of a poster of your knowledge.

20. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OK, Gregoriak,

It was an outburst (to a certain point justified, let's convene).

It just reveals that if anybody has the right to be arrogant here is the SA's.

(Although I concede that being arrogant is obnoxious).

The view of Orsi, Di Stéfano, Sívori, Julinho, Altafini, Donato, Deco, Pepe, Liédson, Rink, Kuranyi, Camoranesi, Eduardo da Silva, Messi etc etc as genuine products of European football however sounds sometimes as an evident slap in our face.

The contribution of these players & so many others (many not even so famous like those but equally important) – 99% of them fundamentally raised in SA football – was as essential for the development of European football in its pro era as European football was fundamental to the development of SA one in the amateur era.

Nowadays (from 1958 on) SA football contributed tactically and individually a lot more to Euro one than the other way around.

So if we sometimes have a reaction a little bit exaggerated don’t blame us so much – you Euros have some guilt in all that.:rolleyes:

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I often get to wondering, do you actually believe any of this?

You believe that the contribution of S Americans to European football, was as great as the European influence on your football?

We gave you the game in the first place. You don't think that puts any possible contribution you have made in the shade.

If you seek to exagerrate your importance so much it is no wonder that Europeans can be dismissive. S America has an incredible history within the game, but to do down Europe only further exposes your clear agenda.

22. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [FONT=&quot]First of all you didn't [FONT=&quot]give[/FONT] us the game (at least as we Brazilians are concerned).[/FONT]

You're ill-informed: you gave us the...rules.:cool:
    Sure the 1st tactics were still imported from England & Scotland but the very different conditions we had in Brazil to practice the sport dictated different & original ones which would crystallize themselves in the 50’s (and that’s what certainly happened in the rest of SA’s countries with their own particularities).

From the 50’s on we started giving the cards.

This doesn’t mean ‘to do down Europe’ but putting Europe & SA in parity in world football.

[FONT=&quot]Something you simply don’t admit.:)

[/FONT]

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    So a man called Charles William Miller, born to a British father, who learn the game in England, gave you the game and you think that means it didn't come from England?

But your idea of restoring parity is almost exclusively to put down European football. Now that is arrogance.

24. kingkong1

kingkong1 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Rio, Brazil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Born & lived in Brazil - let's be more precise.

He just spent 10 years of his adolescence in England.

As I said, England gave us the rules (& the 1st rudimentary tactics of course).

We (and others, of course) developed them.;)

It's you who say that.

If you feel that establishing (more than 'restoring') parity with our predecessors is downgrading to you - so you're right, I'm being arrogant.:rolleyes:

25. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought this thread was about whether or not Di Stefano is considered Argentine or Spanish not about Europe vs. South America? Let's keep it on topic please:)