Do you agree with this call?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Badattitude, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Jim Andreano

Jim Andreano New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Yes. The player in an offside position is considered offside if he interferes with play. Since McBride was screening the goalkeeper, I believe he was interfering with play.

2. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    But if McBride just played it off a bit better, kinda walked slowly to the side rather than lift his leg after the ball was past him.. it probably would've counted...

3. minsguy

minsguy New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Walden, NY
    I agree, I think even if McBride had just been moving towards the end line he might have gotten away with it but just standing there stationary in front of the GK I think the Ref made the right call.

4. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The sad part is I don't think McBride had anything to do with Buffon muffing the shot. He never appeared to be trying to look around McBride as the shot came in -- he just botched the save and got bailed out by what probably was the correct call.

5. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Buffon is tremendously overrated as a goalkeeper. I agree he probably screwed it up and was bailed, but have to agree it's the right call.

6. illinizissou

illinizissou New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    It was the correct call, but sadly one of the only ones made all game.

7. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    it was the correct call unfortunately, but mcbride had nothing to do with the keeper farking up the save

he just needed to move away from the play as if he wasn't there

8. AcrossThePond

AcrossThePond New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    And sadly one of the few times a call like that would be made in any game. Same goes for the two red cards. It's immaterial whether they were deserved or not -- rather they would not be given to other teams, especially the more established football nations.

But as the English say "C'est la vie". The US team needs to learn from this and get back to playing, and winning, against Ghana. Althought the game on Thrusday looks tough, I rather fancy the US chances of getting a good victory because they seem to have a better time playing non-European teams.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This as the only correct call of the match. If McBride would of stood there and not moved or moved forward the goal would of counted. He wouldn't of been judged part of the play. But it was a reaction move on McBride's point and you can;t blame him. Unfortunate situation as I also thought Buffon butched the ball.

10. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if he hadn't moved the ball would have hit him, so he would have been part of the play.

11. Roy Race is God!

Roy Race is God! New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Melchester U.K.
    Absolute tosh.The only slight, (and I mean SLIGHT), doubt on either of the US red cards was Pope's first booking, and the goal was correctly disallowed.